1986 vf500f carb rebuild

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by MThomas, Sep 29, 2017.

1. MThomas

MThomas New Member

United States
    Hello,

long time lurker..first post. This forum is fantastic btw.

I've had an '86 interceptor for almost 20 years and I'm finally getting to the restoration.. i know i know

I am rebuilding the carburetor...i purchased a rebuild kit ( 2 front 2 rear) from a website i learned about from this site.

the website had the rebuild kit grouped as 1984-1986 vf500f

i've come to learn however through reading the clymer manual that the 86 main jets and slo-jets are different from the 1984 and 1985 models...but they sold the kit as if 84 through 86 were grouped together.

the main jet that came with the kits is #105 and the slo jet is #38

apparently the correct jet is #90 and slo-jet is #35 for the 1986.

Do I have that right? Will i need to purchase the correct jets or can I use what came with what was billed as the correct kit for an 84-86 carb rebuild.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

MThomas

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Are you planning any exhaust or intake modifications? If so, that's where you would prob end up. In any case, you should put #38 slows in, even the stock bikes are set up lean down low. With those pilots, you would prob be around 1.5 turns out from lightly seated on the pilot screws.

Don't forget to pull the caps that are covering the pilot screws, you want to be able to properly clean the carbs and adjust them after. You can just swap the positions of the float bowls to disable the "limiting" tabs on the screws and bowls.

3. MThomas

MThomas New Member

United States

Thank you!

I am not planning any modifications to the exhaust or intake.

So you think its still ok to use the #38's ? Also, what about the #105 main jet as opposed to #90 that it says is proper in the manual.

Are you saying that if I use the #105 i have to adjust the pilots to 1.5 turns (as opposed to the 2.5 turns it says in the book)

Sorry for the newbie questions

Thank you

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    You can def use the #38's on a stock bike. If so, then you will prob run the pilot screws in the neighborhood of 1.5.

The mains are prob too big for an unmodified bike. If you can return the kit then I would.

So if you are getting into the carbs anyway and will make the pilot screws adjustable, the 35 will be fine. You will want to be about 2 to 2.25 turns out.

Allyance likes this.