1989 RC24 Starter Clutch

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by abro22, Nov 11, 2017.

1. abro22

abro22 New Member

United States
    Map
    **To start, I realize that this is a shot in the dark. Not having this model in the U.S. severely hinders any possible help that could have otherwise existed.**

That aside, my issue lies in the starter clutch of a 1989 VFR750 that I bought in Serbia. I rode it for around 5 months and then due to work and lack of time, it sat for ~1 month. Prior to this, I had the occasional hiccup while starting where it wouldn't catch for a second but that was always short-lived and so I didn't think too much into it. After all, the bike is nearing 30 years old at this point.

Last month, when I went out to start it, I heard that sound that I wasn't expecting but recognized fully from the 84' that I have back in the States. The starter clutch wasn't catching at all, producing that horrid spin/rattle combo. I've looked on eBay with no luck as well as online part finders which (as expected) produced equally lackluster results. Does anyone in Europe or perhaps even the US have a starter clutch for this thing? If not, my next direction will be towards the south of Serbia where someone's parting one out. But I don't like the odds that it's in any better condition.

Here's a link to the part number if anyone wants to cross reference:https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pi...8-13ML7G41-VFR750FK-1989-E__0600-VFR+750.html

If you don't know where to find that part, but know of a suitable replacement, feel free to let me know as well.

Anthony