1995 VFR750F revival

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by chucklzz4225, Jun 5, 2016.

1. chucklzz4225

chucklzz4225 New Member

Hey all, new here to the forum.
    I'm looking at rescuing and reviving a '95 VFR750F that hasn't seen daylight or asphalt since 2007.
    She's been sitting in a garage/basement the whole time.
    All the plastics are either cracked, broken or tabs missing.
    She's got 17K on her.
    She's a good solid platform under the busted pretty stuff though.
    I've cleaned the carbs and tank and got her fired up this morning, purrs like the legendary V4 should and everything seems to work on it so-far.
    She's got matching Pirelli Diablo's that look like new, a Yoshimura R&D carbon fiber slip-on can, K&N air filter, the forks have been re-valved and there's a fully adjustable external reservoir Penske Racing shock in the back that I was told was over $800 new.
    My thoughts were that with all the fairings being f***ked up I'm probably better off going Streetfighter with it, right?
    What do you all think about the subject- Streetfighter or restoration?
    Mind you, I am on a very tight budget and those panels can get quite pricey!
    What does everyone think it's worth sitting in the shape it's in now anyways?
    Thanks in advance for all your input folks and I'll try to get some pics loaded very soon too.

2. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    I personally don't like the streetfighter look, but that's just me. I ride in Texas and windblown dirt, sand and rocks hurt. I want some protection.

Fairings are available from many sources, including OEM, if you look. If I were doing it, I would start with the top and work down. Ar least yoou get some protection.

Larry

3. chucklzz4225

chucklzz4225 New Member

Hey Larry, Thanks for the input, exactly what I was looking for. Upon further inspection of the old girl, I've found that the tail plastics aren't horrible and I can repair and re-use them. Leaving the entire front with most of the damage to the fairings. With limited funds, I'm thinking of doing a hybrid of the front being street fighter-ish and the rear mostly stock. In the meantime I can always save up for more factory type original replacement panels. I don't plan on cutting anything up on this so it will still be possible to restore her back to stock when time and cash flow allows! And yes, I'm saving all the brackets, clips and what-nots too!

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Too many wires, hoses, bottles, pipes, boxes, cables hanging off to make a nice-looking VFR street fighter. Repair whacha got as well as possible and keep watching fleabay for better replacements to show up.

5. chucklzz4225

chucklzz4225 New Member

Hmmm, maybe I missed a memo somewhere but I always thought that was the point of a "Streetfighter" was to be able to see all the wires, hoses, etc. Isn't a streetfighter supposed to be like a Mad Max-ish type of creation? Maybe I'm mistaken, but let's just see how she comes out when I'm done. I do still have all the original parts that came off and it can always go back to stock when funds allow it!

6. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
  7. chucklzz4225

chucklzz4225 New Member

Well, I'm pretty close to finishing up my VFR-Streetfighter creation and I think she's looking damn good so-far!
    Any comments or input from the peanut gallery on this one?

20160722_132218.jpg 20160722_132228.jpg 20160722_132240.jpg 20160722_132247.jpg 20160722_132300.jpg 20160722_132315.jpg 20160722_132325.jpg 20160722_132341.jpg

8. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Nice job, dude! I too, like the stock look, but am quite impressed with what you created. Looks better than I thought it would. If you ever want some wind protection, you could always fit the stock upper fairing. It is a shame to hide that beautiful frame, though. Have fun. Let us know how it goes, as well. Was just reading, again, how that model of VFR was considered the best EVER street bike, EVER! I wouldn't disagree either. Nice ride.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016