1996 Gen 4 Touring Cycle?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by RedMenace, Sep 30, 2017.

1. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I don't post much on this site, but I do read a lot. Come here for most of my questions, and sometimes just to read moto related stuff. Thought I would post a little bit about Gen 4's as touring cycles. Many shoppers come here to see if VfR's r a good buy, or good fit for them. Love my RedMenace! Put 24k on it in last 8 years, or so. It sits in storage when I am overseas.

New center of operations in Arizona, so I had to ride it from Chicago to Tucson. Set up my 1996 for touring a few years ago. Got a throttle lock, got Give bags, got a 12v charger, got a Zumo. In years past, I've gone from Chicago to Connecticut, and then a long tour from Conn. to Phoenix and back to Chicago. Weeks long. This time was 2000 miles in 5 days.

First, tank let me down 3x. Once, the bingo light came on with 155 on the trip meter! Think I was speeding a lot during that tank. 85/90mph for as long as I could? 2x I was stuck looking for a fuel stop for 70miles. This shouldn't happen in civilized countries, but in Kansas and NM there were long gaps on federal highways. Didn't quite run out, but once I was stopping at businesses and asking, "Can you tell me where to get fuel 5 miles or less from here?" From the past, I was rounding up to 200mi per tank (40mpg x5 gal) and it never reached that. 170 mi is reasonable limit of tank. So that means need fuel every 100 mi and no screwing around. I tend to stop more than many long distance riders, but don't like to be forced to stop places I don't want/like.

Second, I've turned 50. Stock seat was ok. Most painful body part was feet! Butt had some problems on day 4, but feet got me into a motel room sooner than anything. Thumbs were sore, next. I"ve got pretty good body position, but after 300 mi nobody is too upright. Remember when I first got the RedMenace- tried to replace pegs with something wider and with rubber. Got it from China :-( It snapped off while riding about 100 miles after install. Got some Goldwing pegs in my garage, but I think they would only install at goofy angle. May try to make them work.

Third, mirrors (stock) are maddening. Wanted to take a baseball bat to them after first day. Need constant adjustment, need constant tightening of base. Just when you think you got it- they change position. Remember researching it some years ago, to make replacement. Think I gave up because of mystery fitment. Can someone tell me a company or a source that has straight replacements?
    (perusing today, saw a 97 with 2001 mirrors. Can I just screw those on?) Don't care how they look, don't care what they cost!!! Stock mirrors are utter crap. Not sure what Honda was thinking.

The RedMenace did everything else competently and well. That means a lot, because if you don't notice it or have complaints, then the design/engineering is good. I love this cycle and will never sell it.

Some other good points:
    Givi hard bags and wing rack- never lets me down, swallows everything.
    MotoFizz tail bag- just awesome. It is 10 years old and is still great/functions as intended.
    Through no fault of my own, I was forced to buy BMW (MotoRad?) jacket, gloves, and helmet. Spent double what is usual? Awesome gear! Can't say it is worth it (YMMV) but I was astounded how great they fit and how well they performed. Straight dope.

Oh, and last opinion: Don't know if there is a thread for ear protection. Using just cheap foam plugz. Used them in and out during different days/tanks/stops. I think you are just trading high frequencies for low frequencies. With them in, I would still get tons of noise and vibration. Just different noises and vibrations. With them out, I like hearing my machine, hearing traffic. Some safety, there. Can't say if one was better than other. Didn't feel different after they were out.

Anyway, that is my ride report. The RedMenace has 32k miles on it now. Plan to get 100k! Got some free time to take it up the West Coast. My current excitement is to get a mid '90's Gold Wing Interstate for cheap. My GF has tried the back of the VFR, and does not like. Don't have a garage, and I come and go from the U.S. BUT, I think 2 cycles is better than 1 car ;-) Will try to keep/run/enjoy 2 cycles, for a while. Gold Wing will solve all my problems- but the VFR is just locked into my heart. I am a Honda Man, if you will.

In the big picture, Gen 4 1996 might be a tweener. Think the 800 and new 1200 are closer to Tour/sport, than Sport/tour. In 20 years, I'll buy one of those! And then compare. Ha, ha!!

Love you guys who post more! See you out on the road.....

Samuel likes this.