1st Gen Cam Cover Gasket replace - Engine pull?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by StreetLethal, Mar 8, 2018.

1. StreetLethal

StreetLethal New Member

United States
    Finally got all the parts I need to get my VF500 back in shape. I have not gotten started just yet (that comes tomorrow), but I was wondering whether or not I should plan on pulling the engine when I get around to replacing the gaskets for the cam covers? Clymer does not have a section on specifically replacing the gaskets, but to remove the cam covers themselves it flat out starts off with Step 1 being remove the engine. I kinda hope that doesn't answer my question, but does anyone have any word on this?

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    100 percent do not have to remove engine. The rear can be a puzzle sometimes, but it will come out. Sometimes it takes a few tries, other times it almost falls out for me. Extremely frustrating when you have brand new paint on them.

3. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Do you have some new rubber sealing washers for the bolts? Those are the only thing keeps the cover snug.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    This is a great point. The rubber grommets are the items that actually put the pressure on the covers and gaskets. I've seen new gaskets leak because the grommets were so worn and smushed. Unfortunately they are very expensive and is why most people try and skip them. Old gaskets are usually just fine with new grommets.

Mind_Surfer likes this.