2010 VFR 1200 DCT vs. 2015 VFR 800 DLX

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Trakrat, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    Hi guys. Does anyone have experience comparing, riding, or owning these two bikes? I'm looking to buy one of them (both are brand new yeah I know one is 8 yrs old, lol). Both have 1 mi on them and offer full extended warranties. Price is the same for both so it just comes down to the pro / cons.

My past experience is in motocross 30 yrs ago. I briefly had a VFR V45 for a summer about 30 years ago, lol. Ok, so recent riding experience is lacking but I want to start again and would like some opinions on owning one over the other. I'm 5'8" 165lbs. Any Pros vs. cons. This bike would be used occasionally for commuting about 20 mi / day, but primarily just to take rides for fun! I live in texas and would love to get some track time eventually, probably end up riding any time I can.

Thoughts?

2. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    If it was me, (and I don't have any experience on the 1200) I would go with what you would be riding most. If you are doing track maybe the 800. The 1200 is obviously bigger, but does have I think 130-145 hp? I probably have taken the 1200 if I had a choice but maybe not the DCT auto transmission. I like a manual but loved the shaft drive. Have you seen this link and I am sure you have http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2010/06/article/2010-honda-vfr1200f-dct-first-ride/

Check to see if the 1200's vin was one that the dealers had a recall on before you buy it. I would be really interested in the price that both are going for. The DCT was a $1500 upgrade so play that in the equation.

3. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I wish I had your choice right now after watching the review. I thought I would never go under 1000cc. But I did not have a choice. If the 2 are under 8,000 I would go with the 1200. Seeing that it is more rider friendly and you have had a lapse in riding experience. I also have an issue with color so if it was not red, I would pass!;-) Black, silver, blue does not did if for me. ;-)

4. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    The DCT really got my attention after reading/watching reviews and you tube (in motor I was always feathering/dropping the clutch, and every other form of abuse my CR would take). There was a guy who posted his Paris-Dakar on the VF1200. That really had my attention. The shaft has no problems with sand or water, and no adjustment. There was a recall issued in 2015 on the shaft drive of all VFR 1200 DCTs. This bike had the recall completed. The VFR has about 145 bhp vs. about 93 bhp for the VFR 800. Prices are 1K more for the 2015 VFR 800 DLX. It just seems hard to pass up the 1200 for so little $$

Thanks for the link! That is probably one of the few I have not seen. The VFR 1200 is red. The VFR 800 is white. I like the idea of a big quiet engine on long trip of 3-4 hours, and then the ability to carve and ride hard in the blink of an eye. Isn't that what the VFR is all about :)

Bubba Utah likes this.
  5. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    So how much, you said a $1000 more for the 800?

6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Take the 1200, but look at insurance as well if you have not! Being a V not an Inline you should be pretty good. I know that I wanted the Kaw Ninja 1000 and it was $145 a month even being old and a clean record. I pay in Utah $33 a month for the 800. Shit just buy the 1200, Its a gorgeous red! And though some disliked the front headlight the bike is amazing looking with all of the red, black and silver. Just get rid of the that monstrosity of a exhaust in your negotiations. I paid $7,000 for my 800f in 16'. If I could have found what you are looking at I would have paid $8500 for the 1200. That was my make price for any bike I was to get.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Shit I just did the figures and the 1200 has 1 horse for every 4.23lbs of weight and the 800 has 1 horse for every 5.33lbs of weight. NO BRAINER! even being a hundred and 20lbs heavier.

8. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    1200 is 9500 out the door. 800 is 10400.
    But right? Just get the 1200. Thats why I'm asking ppl here to weigh in. Lol. The only bad thing I've heard was the swarve or metal shavings in the engines of some bikes in the UK. There actually a whole thread on it here.

9. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
  10. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    LOL! What a coincidence Samuel! You have a white 800 and want the 1200! :)) The only thing is I really want a warranty, and an extended one at that. It just gives me a piece of mind.

11. ducnut

ducnut New Member

United States
    IMO, your quoted OTD prices are absurd. For sure, the 800 can be bought less, when others have paid ~$7K for those bikes. You’re doing THEM a favor for even considering getting either bike off their books. You should only be paying the sale price and TTL. They can eat assembly, shipping, and any other BS fees.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  12. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    ducnut that was my feeling about the 800 which they offered me at 9700 plus adm (225) ship (400) and tax(625), which led me to the vf1200. I have seen ppl pay less, there was one 800DLX for 6900 but I missed it. There are a bunch for 8999, I'm waiting to hear back from them. The standard 800 are going for about 7k, but I want the DLX for the abs.

13. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Mate has a crosstourer dct and loves it another has the 12, has upgraded the suspension and a few other mods and by goodness it could shift. Touring wise Oe luggage is the same capacity.

14. ducnut

ducnut New Member

United States
    Shop cycletrader.com. Shipping is less than $500 and I saw one dealer offer flat-rate shipping at $350, anywhere in the country. Used, I’ve seen the 800 in $6K range, which gets you out of taxes and all the fees. A bike as new as these likely won’t have any issues. The thousands saved will easily offset any issues.

I have a 5th Gen, but, really have the wants for the styling of the newer one.

Trakrat likes this.
  15. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Welcome Trakrat. IMO the 8th gen would be the better choice given your size and intended use. The 7th gen is a great bike but it's quite a bit bigger and heavier than an 8th gen and is probably better suited for the touring end of the sports-touring spectrum whereas the 8th gen is probably better suited for the sporty side of the sports-touring spectrum. The 7th gen weighs 591 pounds wet and a whopping 657 pounds when equipped with the DCT. The 8th gen is about 525 wet so compared to the DCT equipped 7th gen it's about 132 pounds lighter.

The 7th gen has a lot more hp and torque but the DCT version you're considering is significantly slower than the 6 speed version if I recall correctly, so the power advantage over an 8th gen won't feel quite as great. You can also add the Honda quickshifter to the 8th gen which will also help close the gap. Styling is subjective but IMO the 8th gen, especially in Pearl White, is a gorgeous machine - I get compliments on mine just about every time I ride it. Also, many of Honda's latest designs such as the '17 Fireblade and '18 Gold Wing have copied the nose and LED headlights of the 8th gen which means it will look up to date for years to come. I do like the looks of the 2012 VFR1200 because it came in a stunning blue color that year.

Another factor to consider is the Honda saddle bags for 7th gen are $1,400 and the trunk is an extra $600 - this is quite a bit more than what they charge for the 8th gen. In addition, heated grips and a center stand (both standard equipment on the 8th gen deluxe) cost an extra $350 and $250 on the 7th gen. Traction control also comes standard on the 8th gen deluxe, but I don't believe the 7th gen got it til the 2012 model, so the 2010 you're looking at won't have it. Also, I believe there were a number of complaints about the range of the 7th gen due to the small size of the fuel tank - I believe it was slightly increased for 2012 but the 8th gen still has much better range. Also, FWIW I believe the concensus is that the VFR800 exhaust sounds much better than that of the VFR1200. Here's a couple links to some long term reviews of the 7th gen by Cycleworld and ZenMoto if you haven't already seen them: https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/01/30/honda-vfr1200f-dct-long-term-test-wrap-up
    http://www.sport-touring.net/forums...c=69769.0?thememode=mobile;?thememode=mobile;

Heres a good vid by Smoke to demonstrate what a mostly stock 8th gen deluxe (complete with center stand) can do on a track. I believe his only mods were a slip on exhaust and the Honda quickshifter modified for GP shift pattern - enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    ducnut and Trakrat like this.
  16. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    Thanks Gator! You really helped provide some insight! That was a fantastic video, and funny that you should post it, I just bought tickets to the MotoGP in Austin in 3 weeks (about 1.5 - 2 hour ride)!

17. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Awesome, have fun at the race! I hate to spoil it for you but my crystal ball says MM will win it yet again - I believe he's NEVER lost at the COTA :D

Trakrat likes this.
  18. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    I grew up in central florida so I know the area well. When I first came to South Texas, I missed going to Daytona. I seen your motovlog and miss the rides over there :) Your is great btw!

19. Pbanys1200

Pbanys1200 New Member

United States
    Map
    According to Zeroto60times.com a stock VFR1200 DCT will do the 1/4 in 11.5 seconds, the 2014 VFR800 will do it in 11.4 seconds.

6spd VFR1200's can do the 1/4 in 10.2 seconds.

If i were you i'd get the VFR12 DCT and do the Guhl reflash...:Boob2:

Bubba Utah likes this.
  20. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    PBany thank you for that great recommendation. I love the symmetry of that VFR12 DCT. The thought of getting that Guhl refresh is hypnotizing...

Bubba Utah likes this.