2015 Rides

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by k9handler, Jan 21, 2015.

1. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

There is a nice little "canyon" (or something similar to one) on highway 3 south of winnipeg that I stumbled across last fall with some friends, I had to turn around and go through it 2 or 3 times :)

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Over by La Riviere, I know the area very very well ... I hunt in that area.

Try taking Highway 31 sometime (near Darlingford) down towards the border. :) ... also try taking #23 (coming from #3 / Carman) ... then turn south down any of the paved highways from there, down back to #23 ... just look at the terrain to the south and you'll find some really fun rides.

4. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    No problem. I'll come ride them with you this summer if we can ever get rid of this stupid cold. :)

6. fortyfive

fortyfive New Member

Hey Welcome K9, you'll find these guys a wealth of knowledge. As far as rides go; I am always down. I have a few loops out SFU area that I like and tours of Maple Ridge, Mission back roads and even Langley has a few prize jems to offer. Duffy Lake is on my list too. Like many, I'm waiting for the right time to insure my bike. Soon, I can feel it, we've had a lot of spring riding weather already. By the end of the month I'm sure. Hit me up with a PM when you're ready.

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Just took my bike out for it's first ride ever with me as the owner, and the first ride of the season.

36F .... snow still on my driveway but the pavement on the highway is clear and dry (except gravel / sand).

I'm pleasantly surprised at the protection on this bike. I wasn't expecting it to be nearly so good. I took it out wearing runners, jeans, t-shirt, light sweater, and a light but wind resistant jacket. I wore fingered ski gloves, and didn't put the pinlock on my visor yet.

The only thing that got cold at 110kph were the insides of my thighs where they touch the cold metal tank.

Super happy to have gotten a ride in this early already. I got a LOT of funny looks. :)

8. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

Hi. Do you guys and gals ride the loop from hwy 99 north to Whistler, and up just north of Cache creek, and back down hwy 1 aka the Fraser canyon much? Or ride it the other way. I like that loop and do it usually once or twice a year. If some of you know the area what side roads are worth riding off thst general loop? I am aware of and do enjoy hwy 8 Merritt to Spence Bridge. As soon as i can be sure that we will not encounter snow i want to do the old Merritt hwy 5a to Merritt and hwy 8 out to the canyon. A Monster burger is a must at HH in Cache creek and then return to the Loops. And if anyone of you guys are in the Loops and i am home you can even use my house as an overnite stop and put the bike in the shop. We have 2 spare bedrooms in the basement so lots of room. We are only 15 mins from the northshore and easy to get here via the halston connector off hwy 5 north to Westsyde, or take the Mclure ferry for a new experience if its running, which it does most of the year.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I've done that ride a few times. At least once was part of a two day ride. A couple of close friends and I do the odd over-nighter around southern BC. I've had a burger in Cache Creek and yes they are quite good.

Spences Bridge down to Merritt, and some of the back highways down to Princeton are nice rides too. I would have to do some looking to see just what highways we were on because I usually follow the leader on these rides

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Although my year started strong for me with a ride almost every weekend, I have been "grounded" for the last 4 weeks due to a Eustachian tube dysfunction. This is basically causing me to suffer from vertigo! Sometimes just sitting in my chair I can get dizzy and/or nauseous which prohibits me from definitely riding and for a while driving as well but it has gotten better and now I can at least drive without much worry. It is the strangest thing I have ever been afflicted with, just getting up from laying down and sitting up, I sometimes get so dizzy that it feels like someone is grabbing my head and shaking it around. :hss: Since riding requires leaning and a lot of head turning, this is not the ideal condition for riding. Like I said it's getting better, albeit too slow for my taste, driving is a lot easier as no leaning and head turns are less dramatic than on a bike.