4700km around Nigeria

Discussion in 'Other Locations' started by fotodaddy, Nov 22, 2008.

1. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Hi guys. I just got back from a trip around Nigeria. We covered about 4700km in 7 days rinding from dawn to dusk. Some pictures below.

But one thing though; my butt hurts like hell!!!:mad:

So the issue now is an after market seat. Is it really a good investment? I am 100kg and 6ft4.

Attached Files:

2. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    both sargent and corbin make good saddles. if you need the backrest, as far as I know it is only available on the corbin. the corbin is heavier than the sargent. i hear corbin cust service is not that good, but haven't used them so I don't know. they are pretty comparable in comfort.

3. belosah

belosah New Member

how did you guys deal with the heat? that's one of my main setbacks with riding in Nigeria, Lagos particularly has been hot the past few days not like it isnt always hot but i'd have imagined that the wind while riding would keep me tepid, aint happening. LOL.

I'm a new rider but the way, and even though this post is old, its good to keep it open and recent.

Free to chat at any time as I'd like to benefit from the extensive experience from others on here.

AJ

4. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Welcome from another African. Your best bet regarding the heat is airflow gear, I have a jacket that you can literally read through in places.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

That's awesome. Will a more detailed and pictured report be coming soon?

As far as the seat, I have a Sargent and yes it is a bit better than the stock seat, but IMO your best mileage (pun intended) would come from a custom seat from an upholsterer. The only drawback with a custom seat is resale value, much harder to sell a bike with a tailored seat than one of the generic makes but you're more likely to have much better comfort with one that was built for you. I may go this route as well with my stock seat, more to accommodate the wife than myself, as she still has some discomfort with the Sargent seat. The pillion doesn't get much consideration IMO.

Although So. Cal can get a bit hot (104F was the hottest I've ridden in), It's probably nothing like what you get in Nigeria, however the way I keep cool is to wear specialized under garments meant for moisture wicking and cooling. Right now I have the 'Heat-Out' gear from Cycle Gear and for the most part it works really well on it's own but I am also looking into cooling vest and other similar items. I bought a RevIt "fluid cooling neck collar", which works really well too, especially with my vented leathers. You soak the collar in water then wear it around your neck and the evaporative cooling effect against your main arteries helps cool your blood. At one point coming through the desert I actually felt a chill or two as the air flow was really flowing. They also have vest, and wrist collars too, which work on the same principle. Other than needing water to help them do their job, I found these to be a good alternative to active cooling systems. They also do best with textile gear as it allows more airflow through the garment to the device itself.

Ironically, having too much ventilation or more to the point, more hot air you expose to your skin, can work in reverse, actually causing you to overheat. This applies more so when temperatures are above body temperature i.e. 99F+ If you get a chance, pick up the book 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David Hough, he has some good stuff in there in regards to riding in extreme climates. It's a good read in general.

Cheers

6. belosah

belosah New Member

great tip on the book. Will look through Google to see if i can buy the E-version. I know of only one store where to get my Motorcycling needs met in Lagos. Shame, but I'm sure with time things will get better and options will present themselves.

Did i mention I was a rookie. Well i am. I recently picked up a Honda VFR 750F, 1995, and this is what I am using to learn. I have gone through the CBT 1 while I was in the UK a year or so back and pottered around London on what felt like a Honda XR 125L and a few scooters.

The VFR was the only affordable bike I could get my hands on, and I feel in love with it the minute I saw it. Anyway, the mechanics in this part don't seem to know much about it or motorcycles in general and only recently realized after they had fleeced me for months that the wrong battery was installed. Clearly I didnt know what I was doing either as that was the battery that came with the bike. Know I'm a lot more careful.

Not sure if i should start a new thread and document my bike activities as I may soon be going through some restoration and modifications so that the bike stays in good shape.

SO much to talk about, so little time. Our solitary bike shop did sell to me the idea of airflow gear rather than leather, so will do some heavy deliberations over the next few days to get the safest and comfiest gear for the region.

Thanks for the feedback Bryan88 and OOTV. Do keep intouch if you have any more words of wisdom for me. Thanks again.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Belosah, it's always best to create a new post for any new or different topic as well as keep thread "high jacking" (which is kind of what I'm doing here) to a minimum. Also, seeing that you are new to from as well, there is a section on the forum for introductions. Make yourself an introduction post and be sure to include pics of your ride, you'll get a lot less grief if you do.

With that, Welcome to The World!

My apologies for the short thread high jack fotodaddy.

Cheers

8. belosah

belosah New Member

thanks guys.

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I hate corbin seats, had their boots too, and they equally sucked. If I was gona get a seat, I would deal with Seargent, they made a seat cover me which came oot ace, they have great customer service and are not full of themselves like corbin. Plus, they are a local business to FL, so its a no-brainer.

I ride in South FL, which is humid, I wear a Aerostich one piece suit and do about 30 miles one way, I barely come to a stop on my commute. When I get to my yab, I barely have sweated arm pits.

Nice pictures and thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

10. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Well, the post is 6 years old, and he hasn't been on the site for over a year....so he may not really mind a little thread jack.