5th Gen - New Givi V47 Carbon Tob Case Installed with Light Kit & Backrest

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Dexter_VFR, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Dexter_VFR

Dexter_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Just got my new V47 Top Case installed today. Added the taillight, brake lights and turn signals to the case, as well as the padded passenger back rest.

The carbon top case really looks good an matches the texture of the Sargent seat.

20161015_184926_resized.jpg 20161015_184958_resized.jpg

May add some hard side bags soon as well...

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Looks great, have the same set up but added a strobe to my brake lights-- flashes 5 times holds and repeats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jkboyd

jkboyd Insider

United States
    Map
    Hey guys I put the same setup on my 5th gen and it seemed to upset the handling. The bike developed a wobble, scared the crap out of me the first time I took my hands off the bars to stretch for a second. I tried adjusting the rear pre-load but it didn't make a difference. Have either of you had the same experience?

4. Dexter_VFR

Dexter_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Haven't noticed any handling issues since installing the top case - don't really know it's even there when riding. Can't imagine how the top case and rack - only about 20 or so lbs. could cause this issue...

5. jkboyd

jkboyd Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the reply. I was surprised because like you said it doesn't weigh all that much but it does sit back far on the bike creating a torque arm. I noticed the problem immediately after installing the box. I searched the web and apparently others have had the same issue, with both 5th and 6th gen VFRs and with hard saddlebags and/or the top case but I can't find where anyone had a solution.
    Since you don't have the same issue with the same bike makes me think there is some underlying issue and the top case brought it out. I adjusted the rear preload but it didn't make a difference. I took everything off and am doing some suspensions upgrades. I'll ride it with the upgrades then re-install the case and see if the issue comes back. What tires are you running? Thanks again.

6. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I've got a Givi Wingrack 2 and a Givi E55 Maxia top case and rode Kelowna to Vancouver this summer, about 350 KM's each way and had no real issues. Case was fully loaded and likely close to 20 pounds and I noticed no instability at any speed. On the way back I was riding at a brisk pace with a few friends and we had some really strong cross-winds and that didn't seem to upset the bike either.

I have made a few changes to the bike from stock, including a Zero Gravity double bubble screen, and a CBR929 rear shock sourced from Daugherty Motorsports. The rear shock is supposedly slightly longer than stock (raising the rear of the bike), and I've raised the front forks up about 5 mm through the front triples.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    CAMERA 184.jpg
    Tell ya the truth beside Jamie's tweaks, the top box is ONE of the best mods I have done. After wearing a back pack since the 80's it took quite a while to get used to it, felt like I was riding with no pants on, felt naked.
    Don't even know it's there, in the canyons or real windy out here in Simi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    I can't agree more with duccmann, the topcase is the best mod I've made although it is very ugly. My more unorthodox topcase doesn't cause any unwanted wobbles, shakes or handling up to about 130 far as I can tell. I went with the RIGID case because it was about $200 cheaper than the nice Givi V47. Someday maybe I'll upgrade, once this thing flys off the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jkboyd

jkboyd Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys. Yeah I really liked the top case, it's nice being able to park and lock things in it plus it holds a couple of six backs of beer.

I think for whatever reason on my VFR the top case unloads the front end just enough to cause the wobble. Once I get my new suspensions goodies on I'll remount the case and see how it acts. If I still have the wobble I'll start by raising the fork tubes in the triple tree.