5th Gen Part out of a never-down bike- woo hoo!

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by ccrunner, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    Ok.. had to move this so I could better manage it.. I'll have pics up soon to better show what I have... read this little back story and you'll understand why I took a perfect 98 VFR apart..

I'm a 45 year old guy, and 3 years ago (when fuel got up near $5.00/gallon in CA- actually I guesss we're back there again?!!), I decided I wanted to build a small, fast car that would get good mileage (I'm a fabricator/gearhead/car-nut).. I had had a 1970 Honda N600 (car) in college, and decided to pick up another one for my project- small, light, and smog-exempt (here in CA)

To see your VFR 5th Gen engine in a car :crazy:, click the link and go to page 5

----------------------->>>LocostUSA.com • View topic - ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower

....... I did a bunch of research and found that a Honda V4 engine would come close to fitting the tiny engine bay, so before I even found my car, I bought a really nice 1998 VFR that I had planned to ride for awhile until I needed to tear it down and use the engine/harness in my soon-to-be car project.. I got the car (a shell with glass as seen in the pic), and started to alter/mod the suspension... all the while I drove the 1998 VFR to and from work daily (bought the bike in Aug 2010 w/ 30,400 miles and parked it for tear down July of 2012 with 41,000 miles). Over the last few years while building the tiny Honda car, I've been able to collect several 5th gen VFR parts that I didn't know if I'd need or not- (doesn't hurt to have spares!!).. I ended up with an 'extra' engine/frame/and many misc parts.. fast forward to July of 2012, and I put engine #2 (my spare engine) in the car, and although I didn't want to, I ended up using several parts off of my daily driver 1998 VFR (starter/harness/cluster).. Now I have almost a whole 5th gen VFR, plus duplicates of several parts... I don't quite have enough to make a running bike, so I've decided to part out what I have.. Some parts are very, very nice- some not so nice.. I'll list them and describe them the best I can... I'm leaving prices off for now because I simply have too many little bits to inventory... you know about what these parts are worth, so just make a fair offer and I'm happy to get it to you.. please don't give a silly lowball price- I've got a lot of sorting/packing/shipping to do and I don't want to waste your time or mine- just offer fair value and I'd love to deal with you..

I'll list them as best I can, and once sold, I'll come back and list it as such.. Nothing is sold until I have the money- you know the deal.. Please bear in mind this bike is used, and was not a 'show' bike- all parts have a bit of wear and tear- I'll be as descriptive as possible... All parts are off of the 1998 'good' bike unless otherwise noted...

==============================

Frame #1- perfect shape, still registered in my name as non-op.. numbers match engine #1

Engine #1- flawless and still in it's frame- 41K total- I put 10K of those on in the last 2 years- numbers match the frame and is registered non-op (I won't sell this engine until I'm certain I don't need it- somewhere around mid/late August 2013 I imagine).. You'll want to check the valves- it's due for it..

Frame #2 (NOT from my 1998).. I don't know the history of this frame- it was still bolted to engine #2 when I bought it... it appears to be straight- no broken tabs, no issues that I can find-- you'll likely have to register it as salvaged if you use it- it's a nice piece though if it suits your needs..

Footpegs- Front right side peg w/ bracketry and brake lever (this may be an aftermarket peg, as the peg itself is metal, not rubber) // passenger left side peg w/ bracketry and helmet lock cable with key

Subrame #1 -Perfect- bolt it on as-is

Subframe #2 -(NOT off of my bike) Straight, but you'll spend 2 hours cleaning/sanding/painting before you bolt it on

Front Tire- Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart Touring Radial 120/70ZR-17 (58W)- I paid 114.99.00.. installed new Sept 24, 2011 at 36,600 miles and took out of service July 2012 at 41,000 miles.. lots of life left- tread looks new.. I have the reciept.. used tires aren't a big ticket item, so for just a few bucks you can have a tire that should see another 5K+ miles

RK O-Ring OEM chain/sprockets - Bought and installed the same time as the front tire.. I paid 198.95. i have the reciept.. Lots of life left... If you're adjusting your old chain constantly as I was, it's time.. again, I know I gotta let this go cheap, so just make an offer...

Brake system (hydraulic) -- caliper to caliper- it's all there, works perfectly- still bolted to frame/bars

Suspension (forks/swingarm/rear shock) -- worked well at tear down- again- never a wreck- these are nice stock repacement parts if your's has gone down/ been bent

Air filter housing- Lid is perfect- lower part of housing has the PAIR nipple hacked off- needs to be plugged/dealt with, but not a huge deal for most..

Fuel Tank- Nice, but not perfect. A small, shallow dent -about 1.5" diameter- in the front left (no scratch), and a pea-sized dent/scratch near the top.. fuel cap lock tumbler jammed so I 'made' a key out of round stock that works well- just not as Honda intended ;-) TANK NOW AVAILABLE (4-15-13) -- asking 175.00/ offer

Misc... cables/ clutch cover-cluctch slave cylinder/ plumbing/ coils/ odd harness plugs/ throttle body assembly (untested off of 'extra' motor)/ relays / senders / ect.. just ask, I may have one.

===============================

WINTER RIDING GEAR -SOLD

REAR WHEEL -SOLD

FRONT WHEEL -SOLD

ENTIRE EXHAUST -SOLD

BRAKE ROTORS -SOLD

Mirrors -SOLD

Clutch/Brake Levers -SOLD

Headlight Surround/Upper Fairing -SOLD

HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY -SOLD

FRONT FAIRING 'WISHBONE' -SOLD

Cluster plastics -5 small black pieces -SOLD

RIGHT SIDE ENGINE COVER -SOLD

LEFT SIDE ENGINE COVER -SOLD

Tail Plastics (down the sides under the seat to taillights) -SOLD

Rear Cowl (rear of seat cover) -SOLD

OWNERS MANUAL-SOLD

TOOL KIT -SOLD

FRONT FENDER -SOLD

SEAT RACK- SOLD

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER- SOLD

ECM- SOLD

Let me know what you need, and again- please make this easy for me by checking market price and letting me know what you think is fair to pay.. shoot me a link/ad so I can know what you can pay for your part from someone else- I'll try and beat them to get the sale if I can... I'm not trying to gouge anyone, so don't do it to me..

Thanks-

ccrunner (Dean)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Dibs on the upper fairing. I'll be sending a PM shortly.

Is the black piece that fills in the front (between the side panels) in good shape? I might want that piece too.

PM on the way.

Jose

3. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    :decision:

Obviously, it's your bike and you can do as you please with it. I just hate seeing another VFR scrapped without good cause. It would only cost a few hundred dollars to replace those three parts that you robbed, to put this beast back on the road. It would probably be easier to replace those parts and sell it whole, than all the time you'll spend tearing it all apart for the vultures.

Just one man's opinion. Sorry to all you vultures out there.

:crazy:

4. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    Funny you'd post that Karazy-- and I actually agree with you.. It's silly, but I've toiled over doing what I'm doing with this great bike, and it's come to this- my wife of 21 years got very, very upset when I told her it was time to 'reassemble' the bike to sell it. I've been in the garage for almost 2 years with my silly little car project, and to her the bike just represents more money (to replace my pirated parts) and time away from her and the kids.. truth be told, I could likely make more $$ if I sold it as a comlpete bike as I'd like to, but with my schedule, I couldn't have it running until the middle of winter when selling bikes at full value is tough (it's currently in 1000 pieces from tear down).. So, I've rationalized to myself that this one being parted out will keep 10 or so other VFRs going.. I really did love this bike, but I've now got this little Frankenstien car that I've gotta deal with too- In a way it's actually kind of cool that a guy can still get these OEM parts at a decent price, even if it means one of the (shrinking) herd must fall..

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    headlight assembly?

6. Vfryellow

Vfryellow New Member

Map
    I would like to have wheels

7. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    still have it...

8. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    You know what. That fairing is in too good a condition for me to get it and repaint it. Someone with a red bike should get that.

Jose

9. VFRkat

VFRkat New Member

I'd like the tool kit. Send me a PM please with price including shipping to Canada. I can Paypal you if you have an account.

10. kenc42

kenc42 New Member

United States
    I sent you a PM about some parts, im ready to paypal the money.

Thanks

11. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Dibs on the right lower fairing!

12. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Eh, I want the owner's manual too.

13. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    some guys needed pics..

Attached Files:

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Awe dammit, why didnt I think of that one!

15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Would have expected someone with an '00 or '01 wanting to drop weight would be all over the header assembly.

16. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    Sending you a PM right now!

17. majicmike-123

majicmike-123 New Member

United States
    Map
    PM sent about clipon ons

18. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Money was sent.

Jose

19. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    dibs on the seat rack if not spoken for already.

20. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    PM sent regarding forks, thanks.