7" vs 8" rear tire...not the same question...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by thewedge, Apr 6, 2018.

1. thewedge

thewedge New Member

United States
    I've been searching but cannot find anything from a direct comparison view.. Meaning...What are the real Pros and Cons of running a "170 on a 5.0 wheel" vs a "180 on a 5.5" rear on a 4th gen 750?
    *Not looking for info on sticking a 180 on a 5.0. Looking for info from anyone who has ridden on both and can offer some real input all things else equal (tire, etc).

Riding - I don't track or even think about track riding. Commute back and forth to work and enjoy racing up to the speed limit fast. It's curious Honda only went to a 5.0/170 for the 4th gen and came back to 5.5/180.

Thanks!

TheWedge

2. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Wedge, I've never had an old VFR. But a couple of years ago, I bought a KTM 390 Duke. I think it came with a 150 back tire. The 390 had the same rim width as the Honda, and Kawie small bikes. But the Honda and Kawie had 140s on back. I guess KTM wanted bragging rights, that their bike had a bigger back tire.

The thing was: with the 140 on back of the KTM 390 Duke, instead of the 150, there was actually more rubber on the road because the tire wasn't in such a pinch.

The Honda 929 came out with a 190 rear. But as soon as it wore out, everybody put 180s on, and never looked back.

Motorcycle tires aren't like car tires. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean more rubber on the road. I'd do a 170.

3. thewedge

thewedge New Member

United States
    I get that for sure when using the same rim with different size tires. I'm wondering about different sie tires on different size rims. 170/5.0 vs 180/5.5 - neither would be pinched or otherwise distorted from their intended profile.