'83 VF400F Noob

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by PaulJ, Oct 16, 2013.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ New Member

Map
    Hi all, after wanting a VF400 since they were new 30 years ago, I finally bought one recently - unseen off ebay. It looked great and was taxed and tested, so why the devil not?

My lovely red VF400 was registered in August '83 just about when I was lusting after the one in the bike shop window as a 16 year old. Some things are worth waiting for ;-)

Anyway, its just come back from SRT in Birkenhead, UK which was recommended by a mate.

They carried out a service plus repair work to the (non-standard) front down pipes and one of the front suspension seals.

Since it came back, the only issue we can find is with the idle. It's lumpy and prone to cutting out. Reading the forums, it sounds like quite a common issue. The bike has done 39k miles so far.

I've bought some Sea Foam off ebay (just arrived) to give the fuel system a clean. I suspect the carbs could do with balancing as well.

Any further advice beyond this will be gladly received.

Cheers,

Paul J.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Paul - Hi and Welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

After 30 years its not really surprising that the fuel system is becoming a common problem with the early VFRs.

If you look back over recent posts in the 1st/2nd gen sub forum, you should get a good idea of the main issues and a lot of advice on how to fix them.

When you get a chance - its a good idea to post up at least one photo of your new ride or it won't be long before people start ragging on you.

You may also want to update your forum profile (the My Profile link top right of this page) to add the specs of your bike and a rough location. That way if you run into a problem - you may find someone nearby willing to swing by and offer help/advice in return for some beer tokens...

Take care

SkiMad

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the zoo mate, congratulation on your new to you ride.
    Glad to have you and please make yourself like at home. Might want to post some pictures of the beauty before peeps here calling you wanna be :rolleyes:
    Ride safe and ATGATT :thumb:

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
  5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If the shop didn't clean the carbs, start there. Expect a proppa synch to cure the ratty idle. When were valves checked last ??

6. PaulJ

PaulJ New Member

Map
    Hi all...I spoke to the bike shop.

They balanced the carbs as part of the service and were surprised at how little needed doing. They also checked the plugs apparently.

I'm running some Sea Foam through the fuel system before it goes back in. It needs new sprockets and a chain so it's due some more TLC anyway.

Coming from the classic car world, I'm amazed at how cheap the parts are (from David Silver). Chain, sprockets and grips cost less than they would for my mountain bike!

Sorry the photo is late arriving, had to wait for it to stop raining :)

vf.jpg

7. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome & congrats on your new ride! Are those inboard brakes ?

8. PaulJ

PaulJ New Member

Map
    Yup, they're those pesky inboard brakes.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Same brakes on my '88 and '89 VTR250s. They're good brakes if kept maintained, stripped and cleaned periodically, pins lubed, pistons cleaned. Huge, heavy, semi-floating, cast iron ventilated rotor could never fade. :loyal: Biggest problem i think is that rotor is too heavy and compromises fork action with too much unsprung weight.:ambivalence:

Honda belatedly updated front brake to smaller conventional disc on 1990 VTRs.

028_28 vtrca.jpg

f9d2 jpg.JPG

Copy of 881a.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013