85 VF700F upgrade questions/comments

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by flyme, Mar 6, 2007.

1. flyme

flyme New Member

Map
    Hi all,

Recently purchased an old 1985 first gen VF700F Intercepter and am excited to restore/ upgrade it to a less naked bike. I had a Gold Wing for many years of cruising and rode the VFR and loved it.

I want to do the following:

- upgrade/add lower faring and seat cowl, thanks to this site I was able to locate some new lower farings and a seat cowl that will bring my bike more up to today's style.

- Paint the bike red and the wheels white. Thoughts?

- want a bigger gas tank so I have a question: Do any of you experienced VFR owners know of a bigger gas tank that will fit my 85 700?

- Upgrade the exhaust system and obviously rejet my carbs to match. Any input would be appreciated.

- Modify new mirrors that attatch to the upper cowl. Any Ideas?

_ Modify the upper fairing windscreen to create less wind resistance when upright. Ideas would be helpful. I was spoiled with my GoldWing.

The bike has 30k on it and runs like it is brand new. I did however, have one problem with it the first week while riding home from work. every 10 miles or so the bike would choke out bog down as if it were starving for fuel. Once I found the fuel filter located under the fuel pump, I discovered that it was very clogged and could not believe that the bike ran at all:). Changed the filter and have put 1000 miles on it this week and no problems.

I'm a Land Rover enthusiast and now hooked on the VFR

Chris

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The red paint with white wheels will really make it stand out and be quite unique. For its true heritage, you may want to consider adding some blue and white in there as well.

As far as finding a gas tank, exhaust, mirrors and other items, it is going to be pretty tough. Aftermarket parts and accessories have pretty much dried up for these bikes. I sometimes have trouble buying OEM parts from Honda for mine. They are often discontinued.

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'd have to agree with Stewart. You're probably looking at doing some machining and plastic work to get the kind of mods you want. The fairing you may be able to find around, but the tank is probably gonna be really hard. The windshield shouldn't be too big a deal I think. The mirrors will probably be pretty easy, too, as there are lots of aftermarket choices that you can adapt.