'86 VF1000R Seized shock adjuster cable

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by BillyBob, Jan 27, 2018.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok so I've looked here and there for a solution. Tried making a small funnel around the eyelet end and letting it sit, filled with penetrating oil, for a few nights. No luck yet. There is/was minimal movement
    at the eye let end which I believe is only the cable flexing inside the casing. There is NO movement whatsoever at the knob/adjuster end but here is a really dumb question: I'm assuming the cable does
    NOT lock into place by turning the knob and the entire positioning mechanism relies on adjuster detents
    at the top of the shock. Is this correct? If so, the bottleneck feels like it's closer to the knob end of the cable than to the eyelet end. Am hesitant to play too hard with it for fear of permanently damaging the thing. Does the knob unscrew off the end? If so, maybe the entire cable could be immersed in penetrating oil so it would soak in from both ends? Any ideas would be appreciated!
    thanks,
    bill

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Got the solution: take the cable and the shock it's attached to and throw them in the trash.

Half joking. Start making plans to replace the shock eventually, because it's eventually going to fail. 3 of mine have. The rebound damping circuit gets screwed up in an area that is not servicable and the shock won't rebound. It will get stuck compressed.

Soak the cable and give it a shot. It should move freely and has no lock mechanism. If you can't get it, let me know, I probably have one around here.

Check your shock while you are thinking of it and make sure it is moving freely.

Cheers.

3. BillyBob

BillyBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks.