87 700 Need New Fuel Pump Help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by THRASHED, Jun 18, 2018.

1. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    My fuel pump went out again. I sprung $$$ for the OEM last time and it has lasted about two years. I tried one of the cheapies from ebay and found that the plug was wrong (male instead of female) and the lines were the wrong size (too small). I am willing to try aftermarket if anyone has a suggestion, if not, I'll spring for $200 or so for a new one.

Thanks,

Scott

2. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    Quick follow-up. I got it working last night. I think the previous owner swapped in some incorrectly sized fuel line. I changed it for some 8mm I.D. line and the pump worked fine...for 19 miles of my 40 mile commute.

Starting to think this is a fuel pump relay issue. I'll do some searching, but can someone tell me if I should have a constant hot to the pump at all times, or is it only when the bike is starting/running? Seems it is intermittent and that is what has me thinking it may be the relay.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Saw this over on VFRD, but I'll respond here because it's in the right forum.

Only when it is being cranked or running. I wire in a parallel toggle on my bikes so I can bypass it when needed (like WHEN it fails or after storage and the carbs are dry), but still retains its safety feature.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018