87 VFR 700 carb removal tips?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by vfrf2, Sep 27, 2009.

1. vfrf2

vfrf2 New Member

United States
    Map
    87 VFR 700 carb removal. Now buggered carb...

I'm removing my carbs to clean them, any advice on removing them from the boots? I've removed all cables and other associated connections.
    Loosened both clamps on the intake boot.

Should I concentrate on the rear cylinders, or front cylinders first? I'm desperate...any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    Mine came off fairly easy, pryed up gently on the rears with the engine warm. Toecutter has a carb thread with good info.

3. vfrf2

vfrf2 New Member

United States
    Map
    I got them out, buggered up one of the carbs. Fack, fack, fack!

4. mrich12000

mrich12000 New Member

Map
    Nasty things

Boots, @$11.00 at the dealer, just bought four, as my VF1000 needed them after the big layover of tearing the engine apart for trans work (Thanks to Jamie, toecutter,CMSN HOLLAND)
    It is the best way to reinstall as well. Your going to need some silicone spray. Install the fronts first and make sure the clamps are fully backed out, have fun and make sure you have some beer as it can be frustrating.:thumbsup:

5. vfrf2

vfrf2 New Member

United States
    Map
  6. mrich12000

mrich12000 New Member

Map
    Ya Jamie is Amazing!!

7. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I just removed the carb set on my 1996. This was one of the top hits I got when searching, "Carb Removal Tips", so I thought I would add a little to the discussion for future Viffers.

After disconnecting everything per manual- the carbs did not budge one millimeter. Not all of the screw heads for the clamps were accessible, but I didn't think that mattered. As long as one clamp on each rubber riser was loose, we should go. I tried to twist carb set, lift, rock, any motion possible- nothing. Hours are going by, but I only worry them for 10 or 15 minutes at a time and then give up in exhaustion.

What i think worked: I put more effort into reaching more clamp screws, got 7 out of 8 loose. I also picked the rubber riser that I had the most access to, and could pry a bit on the rubber lip. Was afraid to split or tear the rubber. But, with a little patience and gentle prying, I think I broke the seal on that one. Towards the rear of the bike, the front two are hopelessly hidden. I did a little bit more of the same, to the other rear rubber boot. Then I went back to trying to move the whole set. Back and forth, working both techniques. Prying a little, moving a little. Eventually, one of them came off with a bit of a pop/release.

I'm recounting this for newbies like me because at no time did it appear the carb set was moving! It just came off, all of a sudden. So, don't quit! Just keep looking for little edges and ways of moving the carbs and the rubber boots. It will come off, or you will destroy them and just buy a new set. Problem solved, either way!

I did this same job on an old 1000 GL Goldwing. Man, were they easier. Longer runners, totally symmetric, smoother rubbers, easy access. Didn't picture this being so different. Especially according to the Manual description!

Good luck to all!

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    nice write-up RM

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    good post, RM ! It's always beast to loosen both clamps on each boot.