'87 VFR 700F No Headlight

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Hoosier_VFR, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Hoosier_VFR

Hoosier_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I replaced the stock headlight bulb with another bulb hoping to get a better light at night, as the stock one is very dim. Well early last summer I was riding and the headlight started cutting in and out on me and finally went out. I've check the new bulb off the battery (found this idea on another post) and works fine. Checked off of a turn signal to make sure I was checking the headlight plug properly. Also check the current when I pressed the start button and verified I was getting signal when it was released. (also from another post) Turn signal checks fine, headlight nothing at the plug. 10A fuse is fine as well. Also the "high beam" cluster light is not coming on when I switch between the high/low. Also just replaced the wiring plug above the 30A main fuse/starter relay switch because these wires were burnt and not allowing the bike to start. Just looking for some ideas on where to start checking or replacing, or a thread to reference. Didn't really want to start a part changing frenzy.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    maybe try taking switches apart and cleaning contacts ? a higher-wattage bulb will draw more amps and can burn switch contacts...........in which case you might need to install a relay.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  3. Hoosier_VFR

Hoosier_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I finally got the chance to pull apart the switches, and tried jumping the points. Headlight is working. Looks like I'm going to need to purchase a new controller. The old one seems to be "sprung" and wont make good contact even after cleaning. Thanks squirrelman