87 VFR700 Problems

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Fender13Bender, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Fender13Bender

Fender13Bender New Member

A member on here emailed me and gave me some helpful hints. I tried running the VIN online, but it couldn't find the vehicle, like the VIN was typed in wrong, etc.

Is there a specific way I should be typing it in? There are 17 characters/numbers total. Should I not use the first three? Or what?

2. Fender13Bender

VINCheckSM Theft Record

JH2RC2621HM101675 has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Theft Records.

VINCheckSM is updated regularly as additional information is reported.
    VINCheckSM Total Loss Record
    Carfax
    Further information is available through Carfax .

JH2RC2621HM101675 has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Total Loss Records.

VINCheckSM is updated regularly as additional information is reported.

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    well I would print that out and save it...now just file for a lost title.....not suere how your state does it..

well I would print that out and save it...now just file for a lost title.....not suere how your state does it.

Cooll good kuck witht he rest of the task at hand

Not sure if your state is this way but if a vehicle hasn't been registered in 5 years it "drops off of the system" and to register it you need the title or Bill of sale.. and it has to be reinspected at the DMV....
    now if people started the reg process and didn't finish it and the vin number has a query about it inside that 5 year window the clock starts all over again... check that avenue out before you go registering it in another state and transferring it back to yours....

4. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Well, its becoming clear fender likes his vfr. Mechanical problems slow him down but do not stop him . May be the same with paperwork problems. Now he has turned up a no expense vin check thats legite. Thats not so easy!.

I just wanted to make you aware of yet another scenario. I bought an 84 honda from a guy who had owned it since 86. It was registered current and had a current license plate on it, but he had no recollection of the title whatsoever. He said if anyone would pay the price he asked, he would drive to the state capital as you can get the title the same day (if there are no hitches). So I bought it.
    It took him 2 days 2 trips, heres why. In this state they now have some kind of electronic filing system if a lien (loan) was involved. Finally he remembered he did have a loan which he paid off years ago. He had to run down the original lender, a bank which had been merged, and merged again, to get a lien released form filled out by the surviving bank (cost him $17.00. Took it back to the dmv and got what they called a reissued title. Which he signed over to me. Forgot to mention with this system when the lien is put on, they do not send a title to the cycle owner. Either its sent to the lien holder or just left electronically filed someway.

So if pa uses this system and there is any way to query it with your vin, it might shed more light.

www.nich.org is National Insurance Crime Bureau

5. Fender13Bender

Thanks for the info guys, but I'm not really sure what you want me to do with it...haha.

6. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Ask the DMV in pa to run the vin, and find out what the status is on that vin. Do they show a title filed on it. Lien? Whatever.

I don't remember you ever posting any title history. If the seller told you anything it might help. Might need to ask the same in a different state.

All the above would be an attempt to title with least expense, by handling it yourself.

Failing in that, the simplest but with some expense would be to contact its-title.com, International Title Service in Las Vegas, nevada. Discuss it with them & then have them send you the necessary packet of materials & forms. If you type the name city & state in your search field, besides the website, you should get a bunch of hits for various people discussing their own experience with it, good or bad. That way you can decide if its legit or a scam, aside from all the credentials they list at the site.

Does any of this make sense to you.

7. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
  8. Fender13Bender

Gotcha.

The previous owner said he bought it from a guy with the intention of racing it, or something of the sort, so he didn't need the title. He said the bike belonged to the guys mother and it was in a safe deposit box somewhere and that she passed away.

9. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Gotcha! I saw her race at daytona. She had to quit because her vericose veins would swell on the banked turn causing her to get dizzy. When she won, she used to come down the main straight wide open prone, like bert of the bathing suit indian.

Crusty chime in please.

10. Fender13Bender

No no, the bike was under her name, and her son sold it to the guy I bought it from. She didn't race it...

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    okay, so now go to the DMV and get a report on it...if she filed the title for ownership then she is the "registered " owner.... the fact that she is deceased may help you..you should have your friend put you in contact with the son.. he may actually have access to the safety deposit box. If you can obtain the title from him your golden. If not just get a bill of sale from the son stating that his mother, (the registered owner has passed away and the bike has been sold. A titlte search at the DMV should turn up that the bike hasn't been registered in X number of years.. California sucks it accrues penalties for not registering a vehicle unless you Non-Op it... so you may have to pay back registrations fees..... I am just giving my opinion about how things have worked for me in four different states..everyone is different....

Good luck..

oh. another way around all this is to find a frame with a clear title(in hand) and transfer the parts over... a lot of work but look at it this way...you would have a ground up restoration....

12. Fender13Bender

The guy who sold it to me doesn't remember who he bought it from, and it was last registered in 1998 :(

I will go the DMV Monday if time permits and see what they say this time.

13. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    its 2011 it has been 13 years....I would say, its off the books by now..... as long as no activity has been started. thats why the report you pulled on it from that on-line search turned up negative.... best case senario IMO is that you initiate a new title, then to register it you bring it to the DMV for an inspection....bam, you have a newly registered motorsicle

14. Fender13Bender

Alright, I'll try that Monday, thanks. I'll report back.

15. Fender13Bender

Updates!

Picked a color, BMW Alpine White III, received the panels back from fixing, took it all apart again, prepped it, and painted it.

I also tighted the chain, delted the rear fenderwell trim, license plate, and turn signals. Installed lower license plate relocater, cheap turn signals, (meh to me right now, but better than big yellow things) and fitted the exhaust back on.

DMV is still beating around the bush with me, urgh.

Few problems, still has a high idle which I haven't looked into, thinking it's the carb boots though. Can someone take some pics for me so I know what to look for?

I can't get the exhaust the whole way on, it's leaking slightly, any times on fitting it the whole way back on?

Pics to follow

16. Fender13Bender

17. Fender13Bender

18. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    looking good fender...How goes the DMV stuff?

19. Fender13Bender

Still beating around the bush. Talked to a state trooper today, he told me to go the a place he knows that could get me going hopefully. However I may have a frame with title on the way, so I may just swap because it will honestly be easier.

20. Fender13Bender