87 VFR700F2 what to do

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Jman, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    Started on this bike about a year ago (was just kinda playing around with it at the time). Ran like garbage, sounded like garbage, not road safe, and could tell a hack got ahold of it at some point (sad when that happens).

I'll throw in some pics and run down of what i've done, but just not sure if I want to part it out or get it back on the road.

87 VFR700F2 62000 miles

What I've done

Compression is good.
    Did the valve adjustment today only exhaust valves on cylinder #2 out of spec (very little)
    Stripped carbs, dipped, glass blasted, dyno jet kit stage 1 new bowl gaskets and o-rings, replaced needle float valves. Set float hight and A/F screws
    New plugs
    Going to drain the oil (can tell it's has gas in it)
    Sounds better but.

Whats wrong.

The F1r slip ons that was hacked in sound like crap (too loud, wanabe harley sound)
    Going to have to find some stock exhaust
    The fuel pump isn't working (getting hot but not pumping I know the pump is toast)
    Front calipers need to be rebuilt (if I can find a kit)
    Chain and sprockets need to be replaced
    Should put new tires on it
    Fairings have cracks and broken mounting tabs (I can fix that though)
    and who knows about the suspension
    I did ride it once but it's a tad too tall for me (I think I can adjust it)

Is it really worth it to track down a stock system and a pump and fix the brakes and replace the other stuff?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    After all the good work you've done ?? It's better to restore it to life and enjoy riding it than let it become an organ donor. A bad fuel pump is a trivial problem, and if you want to hear it run, bottle-feed the carbs through a funnel.

You'll be glad you did !

3. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    :) I did bottle feed the carbs (note one of the pics) it lit off no problem. Went with a stage 1 DJ kit on the rebuild, but won't be able to do a final tune until I ride it. I haven't sync the carbs yet, figure I'd wait till I get the new pump (the pump is shot) it also needs the petcock (no fuel flow from tank). So I'm looking at about 200 there (new parts).

The F1r cobra slip ons just sound too loud to me, I'd rather a stock system only one I can find has the cans crushed. Maybe going to list the cobra slip-ons ebay and then try to figure out something for a exhuast that isn't so loud.

It also needs the calipers rebuilt, pads, chain and sprockets, and tires. It adds up.

4. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    well, it is a 20+ year old bike and I don't think it will cost as much as you think..... and you can get an atermarket fuel pump (mr. gasket makes one that pumps at 2 psi...) good luck with it... I say keep plugging away at it tillyour done....

5. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    True, main problem is trying to figure out what to do with the exhuast I could run the F1r but they are cracking down on loud aftermarket systems. Local autoparts store does have the fuel pump you suggested, but I might stick with a OEM pump for 140ish (so it just drops in), I think the petcock is about 50.

6. WetSpot

WetSpot New Member

Map
    I knocked up some baffles for a mates TRX850, took a couple of hours but shut it up nicely and it passed our noise testing here in Oz... I can't imagine it would be too hard to figure out some simple baffles for those pipes then jet to suit at the end when you dynotune...

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    not that I like to endorse TinkerWStuffs Narcissistic threads... but if you check out his sig line I believe it was the third gen thread where he mounted the after market Fuel pump up... even with all the extra stuff it still came in Way under 140 bucks... as far as the mufflers go.... Flea bay usually has some.. and if you can work sheet metal a bit the crushed ones can be re sleeved..... Just a thought..

8. McViffer

McViffer New Member

Nice to see somebody else putting time into these old gen2s.

If the 4into1 is still in good shape, you can put any 750+ can on it and it should run pretty good. I like the sound of stock ducati take offs, and you can get them cheap!

The trick to finding a fuel pump on feebay is searching the Asian bike parts section for fuel pumps in the same year range. A lot of bikes used the same pump.

Also, Id recommend reassembling the front calipers by the book before you start looking for rebuild kits. Its easy to put them together wrong (especially the wear indicators) if you don't know what you are doing.

You are not that far away.

1987 Honda Hurricane CBR 1000 Fuel Pump | eBay

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  9. fredsncoma

fredsncoma New Member

United States
    Good luck with the rebuild. Tocutter and I have lots of extra parts and I am trying to clean house a bit. PM me if you need anything and I am sure we can work something out much cheaper than Ebay. Always glad to help get another gen 2 on the road again.

10. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    Cool, thanks for the input/ideas/help guys :smile: I'll keep ya posted.

11. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    Founds some OEM cans. Pulled from an 86 VFR 90 bucks shipped for the pair, both cans dented, the right side was repaired with a stainless sleeve (looked ok in pics) will have to do the same to the left. Going to just go with a new OEM pump and petcock. Also looking at the JT front and rear sprockets with a RK XSO chain. So maybe by the end of summer :lol:

12. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    Just went on ebay, and for 25 bucks OEM fuel pump pulled from a vfr700f2 3100 miles on it. 25 bucks buy it now and 10 dollars shipped, jumped on it. Now just have to wait for that and the cans to show up. Going to take a look at the tank and petcock tomorrow, and the front brakes.

13. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I have no talent or ability to do something like this, so I always think its cool to see a rebuild.

Glad you stuck with it and look forward to seeing the final product.

14. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    Here she is with the fairings :) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  15. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    Jman,

Im late posting on your rebuild thread here, so, ill just reinforce comments, and then put in my $0.02.

You've basically done all the hard work already. What you have left is the easy stuff.

It should be no surprise to you.. the Fuel pump is a connector, hose, and bolt. Done in 15 mins... Cost is cheap.
    Sprockets n Chain, well, thats a bit more than the Fuel pump, however, I always recommend a new sprocket set and GOOD chain. Dont cheap out on the chain, I promise you'll regret it later... About a 2 hr job start to finish.. ya have to remove the rear tire, but the nut twisting is easy. Cost is relatively normal price range.
    Tires, unless you have belts showing, hang on to what you have for the time being. Im NOT saying dont replace your tires... Im suggesting it be a low priority until the bike is running solidly well. Why buy new tires to let it sit on a bike that needs further work yet yanno? New tires can be put on, seal the bead, and air up in 2-3 hrs.
    Looks like you got the exhaust remedied. I have SuperTrapps on my 87 VFR 700F2.. I get a lot of compliments. I'm really in love with the look of them, but the performance and sound is fantastic... Note: when you put on new ones, please turn your clamps around... theyre on backwards in the photo above.

I purchased (2) wrecked 700F2's back in 2005. One had a twisted frame, the other was a covered in melted plastic after a fire from the fuel pump. $800 for both. I swapped one engine for time in the paint booth, did the body work myself, rewired the harness and grounding circuit, replaced the CDI, clutch rebuild, brake rebuild, new tires, tank cleaning, new fuses, new windshield, new side panels, new battery, new fuel pump, new air box, new levers, new grips, new foot pegs, straightened sub frame (blasted and repainted), new chain guard, new front axle... then sold all the rest of the left over parts (minus the existing CDI box)... and I came out $300 in the black on the entire project.

The key to ANY good rebuild, is patience. Your bike looks great. Youre so close now to being done. Please dont let her sit or part it out. I cant tell you how many times I ride by, with, or someone walks by my restored bike, and says "Dayum! I remember those bikes, those bikes are amazing bikes..." or "I used to have one of those! Best bike I ever had, even against the newer FI bikes."

BTW, your aftermarket fairings look fantastic. Do you know where those came from? Im ready to dump my fibreglass repaired ones, for new ones.

16. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Bike looks great dude. I don't know much about this stuff, but I assume these other folks are right and you're almost there. Would make one hell of an all-purpose commuter/day-trip bike!

17. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    I've done chain and sprockets on my 88 GSX600F (good friend has the MP chain tool too) most likely going to go with JT sprockets and RK SXO chain. Your right on the tires, should be able to run them for the remainder of the riding season. The picture of the bike is from the craigslist ad (sister purchased the bike then figured it was taking too long to buy and find parts and just gave it too me) so not sure about the fairings figured thats how it was sold.

The pic also shows the F1rs mounted but again they leak and pretty much hacked in. They are small straight threw cans and too loud for my liking plus they are cracking down on loud bikes in my area so stock is the best option. Found some on ebay with damage, should be here soon along with the used fuel pump.

I'll keep the thread updated.

18. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    Well it's been about 2 weeks and the OEM mufflers from ebay finally showed up. They are better than what I expected for the price I paid :) not perfect but will do. Right side has a sleeve to cover the damage, the left prob could use one. Snapped some cell phone pics. Waiting on some parts from ronayers to show up, new grips and throttle tube (the aftermarket grip currantly installed cause the throttle to stick) also parts to do a rebuild on both front calipers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    Looking good. You will end up with a nice ride for a small investment of $. Like the color scheme. I have an 86 that is nowhere near as done as yours on the table lift. I keep plugging away at it little by little. Once all the mechanicals are complete then I have to do some panel repair and paint it. A long vision to be sure.

20. Jman

Jman New Member

Map
    I got to ride the VFR last weekend, I knew there is an issue. I installed a DJ kit (I know I have to tune it) but just don't feel like dealing with that right now, it took a lot of trial and error with a jet kit on another bike I own. Seems carb 1 and 3 are over fueling (throttle plate is getting wet while engine is running and at idle) I did run the fuel pump with the engine off to make sure the float valves were holding and that checked out fine. So I'd say its something with the mains, going back to stock jetting this weekend (waiting for a needle I"m missing). Seeing its stock motor, stock air filter, and stock exhaust I'm sure there is no point keeping the jet kit.

Some other things is I picked up a battery, the negitive battery lead, rebuild parts for the front calipers, air filter, and new handle grips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]