'89 VFR750F-K (RC24-ish) hello and questions

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by viftastic, May 28, 2017.

1. viftastic

viftastic New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello.

This is my first post as a noob on this forum, so go easy please!

I have an '89 VFR750F-K, which I am near the end of 'fixing' after a period of nearly two years. Two-and-a-half items are confusing me at the moment, and I need experienced commentators to help out, please.

1. All photos I have seen, show a drain/breather hose bracket (made of bent wire) mounted to the lower rhs engine mount, to support said hoses. However, I do not have such a bracket (or remember seeing it during the strip-down phase), nor can I find the item on online 'fiche diagrams. Is this really a 'thing' for this model? If so, I would be grateful to be pointed at the right item.

2. My seat has two witness marks underneath, suggesting rubber supports have been er, underneath. The steel subframe has two threaded mount holes, which suggest that supports are indeed capable of being fixed in that location. Everything matches up, except of course that I cannot find/remember these mounts, and cannot find their location on said 'fiche diagrams. Again, a pointer to the correct location (ie. part number or place in relevant diagram) would be appreciated.

2.5 I am pretty sure that my model is a F-K model (the last before the RC36), but my steel subframe takes the cast-aluminium pillion pegs like the RC36, even though my swingarm is the earlier two-sided version (ie. not single-sided). I say this, as the only diagrams I can find show the subframe with integrated steel pillion hangers. Maybe the least of my worries, but it does bug a little.

Thanks.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and Welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

When you get a chance head over to the introductions section and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here. You might also want to update your forum profile (Forum Actions+Edit Profile) to include the year/specs of your bike and an approximate location, so they appear automatically alongside all your posts, and if you need help with the bike you may find someone living nearby is willing to swing by and advise - especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge:drink:.

:focus:

As for your questions - you might want to include a few photos to illustrate your questions - click the "insert image" icon and then follow the prompts to select and upload an image from your computer.

I assume you somehow bought or inherited the bike as a project to repair previous damage. Inherently it seems possible the bike has seen the wrong side of the hedge more than once, and as a result the bike you are rebuilding already has a fair few replacement bits - hence the witness marks and the unusual pegs. I guess the key thing to ensure is the result is safe. If the pegs are secure and pass an MOT inspection - then I would not worry too much.

As for the hose retainer - if you have photos to work from showing its shape and mounting location then I you might simply fabricate a suitable bracket with stiff wire rather than try and identify the part number.

Take care

SkiMad

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The RC24 came in two versions, the earlier one (FG, FH) has the 16" front wheel, the later (FJ, FK) has the 17" rim, as well as differences in the exhaust layout, pillion peg mounts and integrated front indicators. Both versions use the same frame and swingarm and generally similar bodywork. Certainly sounds like you have the FJ or FK.

Pictures needed!

4. viftastic

viftastic New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello. Thanks for your comments.

Yes - I always seem to come up with the answer after asking the question! I think it has something to do with 'externalising' the thoughts...

Wheel size supports the F-K version. I looked at online 'fiches again, and realised that while my cast pillion hangers are shown, the subframe image (with steel hangers as part of the subframe) appears to not have been updated to reflect my model. I can live with that. I was assuming F-K, based on V5, just those 'fiches...

Seat appears to fit, although I had to scrape off ground-in rust on the base. I dimly remember the subframe having wear tape applied at some location, but after re-painting, that location is no longer obvious. Gaffer tape does for now, although I still expected support at the rear (see images, which I might have minimised too much). You can see the two threaded holes at each end of the subframe support bracket.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    looks like one of the seat-retaining hooks has gone MIA.

6. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    It's a long time since I owned an RC24, but would the bolt holes in the subframe be for the passenger grab rail (which US model Interceptors did not have)?

7. viftastic

viftastic New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi.

The seat retaining hook is not missing - it was just shy and hung out of sight... (One of the plastic tabs at the front under side of the seat is missing, but I'm not stumping up for a replacement just yet!)

The grab-rail for this model is fixed further back, also by two bolts (which also hold the tailpiece). I don't like that fixing method, as the grab-rail flexes when er, grabbed.

Still no idea about the two threaded holes, but maybe taking the first corner will decide the fate of the seat and rider.

This is a UK-spec bike, if that makes any difference. I guess I could go 'fiche hunting.

Regards,

8. viftastic

viftastic New Member

United Kingdom
    Well, it's on the road now. Nothing fell off, so I guess errant bolt holes and 'fiche mis-matches cannot stop real life.

Thanks for your helpful comments along the way. I am sure I will be back with more questions, such as: "What noise is that?", and "Should fluid be coming out of there?"