98 VFR800 motor upgrade question

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by wildstang, Oct 15, 2012.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sorry, I'd edited my post during your response.

internals are the same as 49states or California models?

Where's this website claiming 10 more hp?

2. Durk

Durk New Member

3. wildstang

wildstang New Member

heres your proof that the UK VFR makes more power, and also that the motor is actually a detuned race motor. im actually quite suprised no one on heres ever tried to at the very least aquire the UK ECU wich for the original rc45 bumps its 98hp up to 118hp with just an ecu upgrade!!

4. wildstang

wildstang New Member

VFR750's let alone can match the RC51 on power output with a simple upgrade. honda made the mistake of releasing a factory race derived motor into production on a sport tourer and has kept the motors power production potential under wraps.

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    It is NOT proof of anything on the 1998. Honda's website I linked earlier shows the VFR750 engine having lineage to a race model. The 1998 engine is not linked to a race model as you've claimed.

The same source who had the intel Durk provided says no such thing regarding ECU for the 1998-2002
    http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/specs/98-00-vfr800f.html

I can't play along any more

I'm not buying any of it. From 18yrs of engine tuners, aftermarket parts companies, a lot of smart and capable enthusiasts, not to mention honda's own websites with nothing to hide 18yrs later and you claim honda "made a mistake" releasing a race motor?

I'm out :wave: Be glad to eat crow and bow at your knees when you can show some proof or get the job done. But like my thread on 3rd gen California cams, I want a pre-mod dyno run, a post ECU change dyno run, and THEN you can go ahead and throw the PCIII on there for tuning and final dyno run. Here's head porting and a PCIII in Europe for 13hp:

[​IMG]

6. bikeman

bikeman New Member

Map
    When I brought up the rc51 I was referring to the thought of upgrading the bike, hrc makes tons of stuff for it, enough to give it over 200hp and 100lb torque, so I have read. It was Hondas "superbike" racer for awhile. Anyway, I don't see a vfr rivaling a rc51 and certainly not a gxr1 and the likes of. However, its your bike do what you will, maybe you will be the guy who takes the v4 to superbike level,hell, I would love to not get waxed by every other sport bike on the road. I could be wrong, usually am cording to the wifer.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm like Tink. I'd like to see some before and after dynos. If you figure it out, we will all be glad to follow in your footsteps for a little extra HP.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I could care less about dyno runs, I want a kilo of what he's smokin'. Please PM dealer's contact information to my mailbox.

9. wildstang

wildstang New Member

thats fine ive in no way asked anyone to try this. im the one looking for info. thats what sets me apart from you...your like sheep you follow, but dont possess the knowledge or technical know how to do it yourself.
    sure no prob ive already tracked down the UK ECU got it on order and will do my upgrades myself. im in no need of someone else to install the parts. ive got access to the dyno and will utilize it but not as you suggested as i show proof of what i claim. dyno's arent cheap and me proving myself to you meens nothing to me. i dont have to prove crap to you or anyone for that matter. next time you pull up next to a viffer and get yer ass handed to you by it it just may be me on that bike!!
    as i told you i came to this sight and many others in search of info and ive found what i needed albeit from other sources outside the US. i dont know you or really care to know you or care wether you respect me or believe me.
    ive been racing and modifying whatever i desire too my entire life and possess the knowledge and skills to do it myself.
    have fun and ride hard or go home!!!

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Don't have the skill?

You haven't looked at the threads linked in my signature. Sheep that follow? You're starting to make me wonder if you're just trolling.

You haven't looked around and seen other people's builds either.

No dyno runs aren't cheap but I did it and shared them. You're a blind sheep if you don't do a pre mod dyno run to get a baseline. You can't just make a mod and assume results. A dyno run with a/f readings is $60. A hp only run is free at many bike nights. But you have to do all testing on the same dyno.

Don't be a wus and do the runs. Hope you're right.

11. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    A supercharged 5th gen puts out about 160hp tops. Have you seen how tiny the throttle bodies are on this bike? It's going to take a lot more than an ECU change to get much improvement over stock. The 800 was stroked to provide more streetable power over the 750, and it does that well. It is no race bike. But hey, it's your money Mr. Chip-On-My-Shoulder.

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

i'm somewhat disappointed...still no PM........:frown:

13. wildstang

wildstang New Member

thats fine its pretty apparent this sights predominately mainly just riders who have a check book to pay others to upgrade there bikes and do routine maintenance. theres plenty of other viffer sights out there and a few have been pretty helpfull and provided info other then wise ass remarks.
    but then thats what the internets for and these sights.

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Is that so? all anyone has asked is for you to share your facts but you have provided NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH to support your idea.

and now you are just throwing stones in attempt to lash out because if you believe that, then you clearly have not looked around this place.

You have asked for information and it's been provided. But you refuse to believe it or provide evidence to the contrary.

by the way, it's SITE as in location not SIGHT as in vision

15. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, wildstang. You started out asking for info. but are now coming across arrogant and rude. Tink has asked you to give him more than just opinion. I agree that you have not put down any solid facts about the race nature of the 5th gen. engine.

The closest you have come to solid info. is the history thread. That is also a problem for your specific query. You are extrapolating that race derived means race upgradeable. ANYTHING is possible with enough machining time and money. It sounds like what you are asking for simply does not exist and you need to change your question. If you want to turn a VFR800 street motor to "race spec.", then the first thing you need to identify the specific engine you believe it "could" become or is directly derived from.

What you have posted so far says that Honda made a race spec. engine for the RC45, then decided to make something BASED on that idea. However, Honda stroked it (and detuned the ECU to MATCH the stroked engine) to give higher torque in a streetable engine. So if you are serious about upping the power of a VFR800 to something like the RC45 race engine, you will need to de-stroke the engine (from 48mm to 46mm), increase compression and change fueling. In terms of basic parts that sounds like pistons, con. rods (titanium in the RC45), valves, head work, custom ECU, new cylinder liners (I read they were ceramic and graphite impregnated in the RC45), cams reground or HRC designed with proper duration and lift for higher RPM's, new springs to match the cams and a whole bunch of close tolerance machining work. Unless you have at LEAST a full sized knee mill, open bed lathe, titanium rod suppliers, cylinder liner suppliers and a whole bunch of time and machining skill, you will be paying someone else to build you a completely custom engine and bike.

So then. What have asked previously in the thread is where you can buy bolt on parts to upgrade a 5th gen. VFR street based engine to be like an RC45 race engine from which the design evolved. The answer looks like "nowhere". You will have to build a custom engine if you want your VFR to run like an RC45. Or you could go find an RC45 engine and build/bolt on unobtainium HRC parts to make it like it's racing cousin.

If you haven't found it already, you should check out the site below to get some good info. about the RC45 engine.

Honda HRC RVF750 RC45 & VFR750R RC30 V4

I would also suggest you chill out, make nice with Tink (who sure as shit doesn't just pay people to work on his ride) and develop a healthier attitude when exchanging info. or communicating on this site. Most folks are really friendly and helpful on here, but don't respond well to those who don't know how to communicate. I hope my effort to exchange information with you demonstrates what I have stated.

If you have some facts you can toss our way that shows the direct lineage and upgrade path for the VFR800 engine, I am also all ears. I'd love to learn what I don't know because I REALLY like my 5th gen.

Jose

16. wildstang

wildstang New Member

this thread i started turned into a respect issue. you want respect you gotta give it or earn it. i originally started asking for info and received sarcasim and disrespect from a few here, so i naturally responded the same in return.
    this is only a forum were people hold a few things in common. what you do or i do on a daily basis does not pertain to whats said here or read. you dont like what i posted its a simple matter of not reading it. you can all cry to the sites moderaters about some new guy disrespecting a senior member if you want or take it with a grain of salt so to speak.
    me personally i wont go crying to a mod saying he done this or done that. all this couldve been avoided if a few select here kept the sarcasim out of the post or just didnt respond if they werent willing to provide anything usefull. and yes i havent posted up anything concrete myself do to how i was treated.
    i have found and ordered what i came here seeking. no biggy wether i share it or not. its not gonna prove a thing what i throw up on this site.
    if you treat me with respect your damn right i will treat you the same in return or vise versa.

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Thanks for that - we don't need to go getting the MOD's all up in arms over some silly dispute about facts.

So here's the chronological order of my posts, no disrespect was indicated:

After that, all you've posted was Wikipedia which still didn't support your claim. Everyone has asked is for you to share your source of information and something a little more verifiable??? We can spend our time bitching about the details or get to business with the facts and see more HP!!

18. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Ooof! On this SITE... Check ego at the door. Ask a question and get answers. Usually from some experienced folk.
    But don't ask a question and then tell everyone they're wrong. Bad form. If you have evidence share. But so far no evidence and mostly hearsay.

We all want you to be successful everyone wants a cheap way to add 40BHP.

19. wildstang

wildstang New Member

apology to tink

you i will apologize to if i came accross to as stepping on your toes. disrespecting you was not my intention. as far as any proof goes im sorry i dont feel im obligated to prove anything here. all i got here was sarcasim from a senior member here. i will say this tho it took a while to track down what i was looking for and unfortunitely i had to get info from a UK source. i have parts on order and will in fact post part numbers and stats after i receive and do a baseline dyno run and start adding parts. i will post up results in hopefully near future as to were i live currently the riding season is coming to an end unfortunitely.
    and the only dyno's i have access to are predominantly taken up by automotive runs. most bikes here in my area are kindve on a back burner towards dyno useage here.

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Thanks, it's cool, I don't need respect. And if you can get the mods to get off their hookers and blow to get involved in a spat around here then you've really accomplished something.

So this UK source wasn't the same guy trying to sell you something was he?

Which dyno is that that does automobiles and motorcycles? Seems like it would be an efficient machine, I'm only familiar with the models that do one or the other.

If you look in my signature, you can see a link to California cam swap and dyno runs on a 3rd gen.