98 VFR800 motor upgrade question

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by wildstang, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    You left out the 3rd gen rebuild and paint along with the 5.5 gem (not a typo).

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks smiley, you are too kind. I was just emphasizing the cam swap thread as an example of getting a pre-mod dyno run along with post mods and then sharing the information with the class even though I had to spend my own money to do it.

as in - I'm not requesting Mr. stang do anything I wasn't willing to do myself.

3. wildstang

wildstang New Member

no the UK source is a friend from the military who is ordering and shipping ECU from a local honda dealership over there. just one of many friends ive made from serving our country that ive kept in contact with since i retired.
    ive mainly made contact thru emails and few phone calls with multiple different honda dealers overseas for part numbers and info.

the dyno i do believe is a superflow but as i mentioned before it seems the business caters more towards the auto side and the usage of there bike/atv unit dosent get used as often do to space issues im assuming.

4. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
  5. wildstang

wildstang New Member

if i can remember correctly the dynojet power commander 3 teemed in conjunction with the lcd mate they offer i will have live data plug and play capability and rpm increment tuneability on the fuel maps and be able to store 5 adjustable or preset fuel maps based off of octane rating. i was originally looking for a more forgiving tuneable ECU to also be able to alter factory spark curves in conjuction with the fuel maps for the 5 fuel map storage capability changing timing by laptop along with the usage of the 110 sunoco i order for the mustang i race.
    and store settings for street and track
    im little tired now and turning in for the night and may have misprinted somthing i said or left somthing out. night folks

6. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Just giving credit where it is due man. :rockon:

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Oh bro I know the mod your talking about. It's the 360 degree crank mod. It easily converts your rc46 to rc45. Then all you gotta do is the rewire of the factory ecu and it brings it back up to 118 hp from the restricted us 101 hp. So easy bro. Oh and RC45 cams, titanium rods, 45mm throttle bodies etc... I think there is a Power Commander tune for that lol.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Buy yoself a CBR 1000R and be done with it !!

Ya can't turn a donkey into a racehorse just by feeding it octane in its oats.

If you're expecting that more revs=more power, just study the hp curves, where hp reaches a max then starts curving down just after. Tuning for max hp usually compromises the low and midrange streetability where the VFR is brilliant.

Where's Toe Cutter's opinion on this issue ??

9. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    He got something in his eye

Couldn't see stepping into this thread

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Why dont you just stick to driving your "stang." DILL-LOChhh....translates into dill-hole. :flip: I do like the new mustangs though. Still :flip: you off...

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    does anyone else find it weird that tink is referring to the MODs in the 3rd person when he is a moderator?

12. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :rofl:

13. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I think Tink is actually Bob Dole.

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
  15. morgan

morgan New Member

Map
    i just read this whole thread and had to point out.... (besides all the incorrect horsepower figures, the massive assumptions, the condescension as if wildstang is the only one who could possibly mod a bike in his OWN garage, and general misinformation)

the vfr isnt even in the same ball park as an rc51. i have both sitting in my garage right now. care to guess which one gets track duty???

even the rc51 is a questionable choice for a "raw go fast" bike. it is older now and the aftermarket has dried up. parts are scarce and as such very expensive. it is a little underpowered compared to most literbikes and extremely uncomfortable to ride for extended street periods. its a niche bike and has a cult type following but it is still a 10+ year old bike. (and yes i know they made them until 06 but they went unchanged from 02 on)

the vfr is a GREAT bike. its actually my favorite (thats why i have 2) but you have to love it for what it is... a great all around bike. it was never intended to compete with the true sportbikes. it was intended to be a "sporty" sport tourer. if you want to go fast go buy another bike, the vfr is not for you. you buy a bike that fits the mold of what you are looking for and mod to taste. dont buy something that is way off from what you want and spend more than a new bike trying to make it something it isnt.

16. Tusk

Tusk New Member

Map
    Back on topic... (kinda) Here's an article on a couple of guys in Belgium who gave the VFR800 a little more life and sporty-ness. Honda VFR800RR Bioblade - Motorcycle USA

Not exactly a race bike.... but better than stock I'd say! (sans the "bio" part) Not alot of details on engine specs.... but there for inspiration.

[​IMG]

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    This bike is what I want to see more of, this buy a cbr1000 and be done with it attitude is bs...

18. morgan

morgan New Member

Map
    here is what a very well experienced rc51 member just said in response to some discussion on "updates" to the rc51. most of this can be applied to all you guys attempting something "new" on a 1998. or any vfr for that matter

You guys need to realize that it's time to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. K&N filters are not going to automagically start working on your bike when they haven't worked properly on anyone else's since 2000 & all the mods have been done by someone else somewhere along the way. If you really want a bike that handles better, is lighter and faster then friggin buy one as the RC51 is never going to be that bike. Most people figured this out years ago and moved on. If you just love your RC51 for nostalgia reason then leave it at that and quit trying to change it into something it is not.

19. morgan

morgan New Member

Map
    and the discussion wasnt about k&n filters, he was merely using it as an example

20. morgan

morgan New Member

Map
    you can build whatever you want. its just the common sense kicking in. if you want to dump tons of money into a bike to make it comprable to a 600 (like they did in the attached article) then feel free. i'm (and other) just saying its not practical, plain and simple. not saying it cant be done.

i'll be running laps at the track while you guys are either in your garage (wrenching) or sitting on the couch (because you spent too much money on an over the top build)