a few questions

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Guest, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Are there rearsets available for the 98-01 VFR? I'd like to get a bit more of an aggressive stance out of my ride. Also I like the all metal pegs over the rubber-topped.

Is there a way to raise the seat so I am not completely seated at a light?

Has anyone found a way to use smaller front turn signals? I've seen the filler plates from Thurn, but $101 delivered is a bit much for two pieces of plastic. Especially since I would still have to purchase new signals.

Also, has anyone tried using a pipe from one exhaust manufacturer for another's slip-on? I'd like to make my D&D a high mount, but I'm afraid to shell out for an experiment.

And lastly, what are the opinions for different brands of undertails?

Thanks

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Hey,

I've never been able to find rearsets for 98-01 VFR, but if you're interested in a set of 'all metal footpegs', I have a set of Pro Tek 'Pro-Lite' in silver that I'm selling (see my post in 'buying & selling')

RF

3. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Because of the way the footpeg brackets mount to the bike, I don't think anyone has taken the time, effort or money to come up with something different. However, there are plenty of footpegs that will fit the VFR to replace the rubber topped ones. My experience is that the rubber topped ones are uglier than aftermarket stuff but way more functional. The all metal ones are slick when wet, even if they have the serations cut in the metal for grip. This is only an issue if you ride in wet conditions. It is easy for a foot to slip off the peg at the wrong moment! The rubber ones are also less buzzy because they are heavier and the rubber helps to isolate your feet from the engine buzz. Again, this is only an issue if you are running at 7K rpm or higher for extended periods of time.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Please explain a little more.

Most of the pipe openings are a standard size for a particular bike. This keeps them from having to manufacture multiple sized cans for different sized pipes. So I would expect that as long as the can and pipes are specified for the VFR you have, that mixing brands would not be too hard. You might have trouble in terms of the lengths of the pieces though. This is especially true if you are trying to do a high mount.

I've only seen the Wolf system. Sounds awesome, looks awesome, costs around $1300!! :eek:

Adios,

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the peg info.

Seat info:
    At a stoplight, I can sit on the bike with my legs bent. I am looking to raise the seat about an inch. For the result I am after, think short rider, tall bike. Except I dont want to drastically change the center of gravity while riding as is the case in trying to raise the entire bike.

No input on smaller turn signals or hole fillers beside Thurn?

Thanks for the pipe info. Turns out I would still have to experiment since I dont know anyone with the hardware and also willing to try this out.

Actually, by undertail, I meant undertray. Some people have different terminology.

Thanks again for the response.

5. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Can't help you here, I've never messed with the OEM blinkers. I don't want anything smaller because I want people to be able to see them. A lot of the smaller clear signals that I have seen on other bikes are pretty much worthless with respect to letting other people know what your intentions are. I want people to know when I am going to be turning ;) But, to each his own.

Adios,

6. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Try Lucas rear sets as seen on the Wild Hair website:                                                                                           http://www.whaccessories.com/rear-sets-lucas-list.htm

For the height adjustment, use a rear shock link from a CBR900RR; this raises the VFR800's tail 20mm.  You can use a CBR600 link to get 40mm of height but you must relocate the left front footpeg out slightly to clear the chainguard bolt.  I'm 6'-4" and with the 40mm lift I can still stand flat footed while having some weight in the seat.  I have a set of flush mount turn signal adapters in '98 Italian Red, they take the round Lockhart Phillips type flush signals.  If interested, I will sell the red flush mounts for $50 and a CBR linkage for $25-I have both the 900 and 600 linkages.   I have an undertray and rear hugger/chainguard on my bike from X-one design in France; very nice fit.  Email for pics.  The pipe question is tough; adapters usually don't (work).  I am very happy with my Staintune high mount and PCII (map008) combination.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Tourmeister,

The front signals are not illuminated all the way back, therefore it does not make sense to me to have such HUGE signals. For me, it's a style issue, not visibility. As long as the signal can be seen, it's not a problem. The clear signals are harder to see. If I avoid them my intentions should remain visible...
    Anothe option I am considering is painting the back half of the signal lens.

waldrm,

You had almost all the info I was looking for!
    I sent you mail for the pics.
    I'm definately interested in the adapters, but I'd have to get them painted.
    How hard is it to change the linkage? What all is involved?
    I'd check out another pipe to gain the high mount, but it's hard to find one in black vs carbon. From what I understand, MOST other pipes are more "mellow". Some might find it obnoxious, but I like the sound and feel safer with a loud pipe. If I could find a similar sound in a high mount and black I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, I dont know anyone personally with a VFR to compare pipe sounds.

8. vfrrider

vfrrider New Member

Check Micron out... great sound and a ton of colors(not sure about black). It is a deep loud sound, much like a muscle car. I love mine ;D

9. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Chris, I was unable to reply to your email (undeliverable address) Try me again

10. Guest

Guest Guest

waldrm,

Your bike looks good. Have there been any comparrisons between X-one and say NWS or Pyramid? I tried to look for info on X-one, but didn't see anything in English.

Can you send pics of those signal adapters?

I'm still iffy about the linkage since I don't know how technically adept I need to be to change them.

C

11. Beast

Beast New Member

Harris Racing (UK based) make an adgustable rearset for the VFR800.
    For the front indicators, simply remove the front fairing (he says) and glue a piece of plastic in to the old indicator (turn signal) hole and finish with filler & spray.
    You can then fit any indicator that takes your fancy! (can I post a picture of such a mod here?) if so how.

Brian

12. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    On the turn signal issue, the most aero way is to fill the old holes and mount some of the surface mount (LP makes some good ones) signals on the back of the mirrors. Higher and more visible. I personally like the new LED models or just replacement bulbs. Bright. :eek:

Let us see the final pics. ;D

Larry

93 VFR

13. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

[RANT!!]

Well... after a recent trip to Arkansas, I think I will have to revise my opinion of the turn signals. While Beth and I were out riding two up on my VFR, a storm came through Eureka Springs pushing 70mph winds up through the mountain valleys. Her VFR had the cover on it and was blown over onto the right side. If I could meet the little engineer that designed the front turn signal mounts, I would smack him silly! >:(

Tip overs are totally foreseeable from a design point of view. Therefore, it makes sense that the bike should be designed so that damage from a tip over would be minimized. But Honda in its' infinite wisdom decided to hard mount the signals to the most expensive piece of plastic bodywork on the $%#$ bike! When the bike lands on its' side it punches the signal through the fairing. :'(

The rest of the damage is minimal: a broken right mirror, a bent foot peg, and some very minor scratches on her OEM blue body work. She's been wanting the 00-01 style mirrors on her VFR anway ;)

[/RANT!!]

So now I am thinking flush mounted signals might be something to consider.

14. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

That's a good point, Scott. I've found a few things that our friendly Honda engineers could've done differently. But hey, what kind of say so do we have? We just ride the stupid things, right? ???

15. Ranydaz

Ranydaz New Member

Check this site out, it is a company in Germany that makes a ton of stuff for VFR's. They have the rearsets, smaller signals for the front, pipes, you name it. They seem like real good people. I have been talking to them via email for some time.

http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/Frameset.html

Good luck.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Thurn is the company that was charging $101 for the front signal mounts that fill the holes.
    two problems: they are too expensive for 2 pieces of plastic, and they only sell carbon.
    my local shop said he would have to paint the whole bike to get the plastic to PERFECTLY match due to the pearl paint used on the yellow VFR's. Yes I could paint them seperately, but it would still be expensive just to get the paint mixed right? I've tried touch up and it doesn't match perfectly either. Too much sun on my bike?
    I've considered filling the signal holes too. Sounds like more work than it's worth. If anyone tries it, let me know how it turns out.