A Newb's Validation

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by kuneefay, Sep 15, 2015.

1. kuneefay

kuneefay New Member

Aight bro, muh bad bro.

2. gotpowr

gotpowr New Member

United States
    I commute the same distance with minimal traffic 4 days a week. The only difference is overall I avoid commuting in the rain (although I've gotten caught a few times).

The VFR is definitely a good choice. I never originally planned on commuting to work. My first bike was a cb500f. After getting enough experience, I really wanted to ride it in. It was great for the gas mileage and fun overall, but could get downright annoying with higher wind as there was nothing to block it and no power at the top end. I did a lot of research before I picked up my VFR, plus once I saw it, I fell in love.

It has been everything I expected. It cuts through the wind with minimal issues. The mods I have to it are: sliders, Delkevic mini can exhaust (with db killer installed), power socket, and ram x-grip mounted to the tank bolts for my phone/gps. The mini can is one of the louder exhausts, but even with riding with it, I'm considering removing the db killer. Exhaust volume is all based on what you like.

A couple things I would recommend in addition to what you're planning:
    Earplugs - commuting at high speeds gets windy and I wouldn't ride without them, unless you want to go deaf over time
    Paint protection kit - especially doing all the mileage a lot gets kicked up; within a few weeks I had a small nick here and there on the bike
    Helmet - I have a modular myself as it's a lot easier when you have to communicate when you stop, or if you want to stop to have a drink of water or blow your nose. They also generally come with built in sunshields, so for places where weather changes quickly, or if you're commuting in the changing night/day, it's a lot easier than having to pull off sunglasses. I use a SHOEI, I would not go cheap here (SHOEI, SHUBERTH).

I bought bar risers when I got the bike cause I was worried the difference between the cb (standard) and the VFR would bother me, but I still haven't ever used them. I'm going to hold onto them just in case I need them when I get older, but you might want to see how you feel before you install them.

I do save a bit in commuting. To other's points, it's not an extreme amount however I always figure:
    1. I would have the bike anyway. The initial cost is a wash whether I commute or not
    2. I get 50mpg of regular vs. 25mpg of premium
    3. It's a heck of a lot more fun. Always
    4. While I don't split, the bike can definitely get through traffic faster. The spots you can fit a bike through vs. a medium size car are a LOT smaller
    5. While I could get a compact car, most of the new ones get closer to 33 (I used to rent, and recorded my mileage. The "38 - 42"mpg cars just don't see it at 70mpg/above. Plus that would be an additional 20-25k and additional cost on top of my other car. I'm a 35 year old father and I can't get rid of the bigger car (the compact are just too small for it to be my only one)

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There's a great deal of difference commuting any number of miles and distance when geographical location is a factor. I used to commute from a place I had in Wilmington, CA to Orange County, on a streetbike. SoCal has some of the best allround weather in the world.

I have commuted from the downtown Seattle area to Medina on a streetbike but if any body thinks BB is going to get struck for four hours again in the snow on that chickenshit two lane bridge in the middle of January on a bike, they are seriously in need.

Commuted on a bike aboot 70 miles round trip from Houston proper to MSC too. A few times on a Harley. (holy shit) Coming home one day after one of Houston's famous frog stranglers. the water in my hood was nice and warm but above the axles and I had to repack the bearings. The potato-potato sound was more like mashed potatoes too.

Una cosa mas.. we are not talking going out and buying a new BMW made Mini-Cooper or one of those new Fiats to save a few pesos on gas. We are talking a cage like a used Honda Civic.

As most savvy posters also know, bikes are not really that cheap to run. Except maybe for the dudes who are getting 90mpg and 20K miles oot of a set of tires and have a ten peso an hour wrench.

One other time on a dark and stormy night..

5. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    BB is right. Anyone who has commuted for extended periods when we were young would not want to entertain it again. It wears you down, no matter what the weather. By the time you get your gear together and bike ready time is already ticking. I did it for many years on my GS750. Remember back then we all wore suits? What a giant pain in the ass coming out of work with a suit on to get on the bike and its raining, or worse, snowed! Never again for me. The used Civic option is much better/safer for daily commutes of this distance. However Kuneefay has convinced his wife that he needs a new VFR. Brilliant, actually. You have to get the new bike and THEN tell her "not working out" but the VFR stays. Good Luck and stay safe. Laker

6. Badbilly

United States

For a bunch of dudes who talk funny I am gaining more and more respect for Canadians who know how to painlessly get new bikes. ;)

7. kuneefay

kuneefay New Member

Thanks everyone for your $.02, its appreciated. I will be picking a bike up. I haven't fully committed to the vfr just because the 800gt gets an average 10-15mpg better and doing 40k miles per year that will most assuredly add up. I still love the vfr leaps and bounds more than the 800gt for obvious reasons but there has to be a large amount of practicality involved in my final decision. It will basically be up to the dealers to sweeten the pot enough to convince me of one or the other. Again thanks for weighing in, I hope to see you local guys on the road.

:smile:

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    5.6 gal...get 200 miles for16-18 dollars.on my 02 and thats not easy on the throttle averaging 72 minimally

9. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    With mostly hard and fast canyon carving at high altitudes, with lots of full throttle, I typically get 45-50mpg out of my 8th gen. I'm sure commuting would get 50-55 or more, even at 75+ speeds. I would be surprised if the BMW could get 10-15 better than 55mpg! With a 5.6 gal tank, that's well over 250 miles between fill-ups. Not bad for a heavy sport-tourer that can drag pegs, keeping up with liter-bikes in the twisties.

10. cbrcolin

cbrcolin New Member

Map
    According to fuelly.com the BMW F800GT and the 14 VFR800 are very close in mileage. The BMW seems maybe 1 or 2 MPG better, certainly not 10-15.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Bottom line? The OP has not done this commute yet.

12. kuneefay

kuneefay New Member

Noted, but from what I've been told from reviews on the f800gt is that people are seeing around 65mpg for long rides at around 65-75mph. Which is where I pulled the 10-15mpg number from. As the 8th gen is averaging around 50mpg for long rides but I could see 55 as a possibility as long as your not canyon carving. BUT for my intents and purposes the bike will probably have about 50lbs of gear in the saddle cases and in a drybag. So with the added wind drag and weight I feel that 48-50mpg will be a practical number for me

13. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I stand corrected. Pretty amazing if that BMW actually gets 65mpg at 75mph!

14. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like your all set to go, have a good plan and the enthusiasm to carry it out. Bravo for you. There is one thing I haven't seen or heard from you or anybody. That's a face shield that doesn't fog up in the rain or a product to deal with it. Your Shoei would be best with a pin lock inner shield so you can see in all bad weather. It is a few $$.

Or you'd have to use something on the shield for fogging. The best is still liquid dish soap smeared on very thin and even. I've tried all kinds of products and those two are the only ones that really work. Also RainX for the outer surface, it washes the dirt off also.

Enjoy the ride.

15. cbrcolin

cbrcolin New Member

Map
    When you get the BMW please let us know the mpg you wind up with. I would be skeptical of the 65mpg claim.

16. pbg07

pbg07 New Member

I had a 2013 f800gt and was getting 340klms to the tank on highway.

17. Motoman827

Motoman827 New Member

I have the Shoei GT Air with pin lock and it's an awesome helmet. It sometimes slightly fogs up, but clears quickly by opening the shield slightly. The drop down sun visor is great for traveling in both day and night.

18. kuneefay

kuneefay New Member

To address the helmet, the pin lock for the shoei gt-air was definitely a needed accessory I just forgot to list it. But as far as the whole helmet deal goes I have began to think of recanting my choice and am now leaning towards the skully AR-1 helmet. I think having the rear camera and all the niceties that come along with it may make the trip more enjoyable. As far as that goes, we'll see. I still haven't seen a true ride review and shit storm weather performance review on it, but I do like the idea.