A ride in the back country

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by RVFR, Sep 10, 2006.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Was out-n-about and came across this abanded farm house, looked rustic enough to make for a good back drop for a photo and the weather was perfect.

[​IMG]

So snap again..

[​IMG]

2. canib

canib New Member

Map
    Someone needs an enduro :) This is giving a whole new meaning to 'do it all bike'.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea I do like those Super motards those are sweet IMO. but yea/no I was just off the road a wee bit, fact I'm standing on the road to take these photos. My VFR never see's much other than just Pavement.

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    mine sees the occasional gravel road but I go very slow. as a matter of fact, it's almost hard to ride because I never get past 2nd gear. another member went ridin with me a week or two ago and was wondering how I got some must dust on my rim and it was because I wanted to know where a backroad went. ;) (I am looking into a dirtbike also, though just because I feel that one can _never_ have too many motorcycles)

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  6. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    Well I wasn't going to tell this story until I went back and got pics but, two weekends ago I decided to take a back route from Binghamton, NY to Moscow, PA so I mapped it out mid route (knew most of the roads). It was an awsome ride.

I came to a point where I started seeing signs for a detour due to June's flooding. For those of you who are not familiar with the flooding, this June the NE saw flooding that was in most cases the worst on record and caused severe damage to most of the roads in the mountain areas.

So being a little cocky I ignored the signs and pressed on thinking " Oh there's always a local short cut" until I came to "the end of the road". I probably should have turned back when I got to the part where the road was missing for about 200 feet but I just followed the bypass like all the cagers.
    [​IMG]
    Then I got to the part where the roads and bridges (2) where missing. Again, I decide to take the bypass, which led through a farmers field.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I came upon the first creek crossing. About 15' and 10" deep. I gave her hell and got through without incident , but at this time I am starting to second guess my decision. Now I am in a pasture and then through the woods, all along following the trail (most likely made by 4WD trucks).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I press on, now I come to the second crossing. This one is about 80' long and about 1+ feet of water and current. I pause breifly but again I press on. The water was way deeper than I had expected. Half way through I start spinning the wheel and slipping on slimey rocks, now i have to put my feet out for balance, I started to loose it and said "what the hell" and laid the power down. The Battelaxe finally gripped and pulled me out of the creek. My feet are soaked but the bike is safe now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have to get up the hill in front of me and through 2 barways that are electrified. This was the hardest part of the journey and after alot of spinning and a couple of stalls I make it back to the roadway. I pause breifly and think about walking the route back and taking pictures but I remember that my camera had gone dead earlier in the day.
    [​IMG]
    With light fading I press on and arrive at my destination safely. So for any of you that have wondered about the VFRs off-road capabilities have no worries. with a skilled pilot and some balls the size of Texas you can go just about anywhere.....Sorry about the long winded message but that's the story. Pics will follow when I get another chance to go back there.

Well I thought the pics would post right on this page but they did not so rather than do it all over again I'll just leave the links. The water was considerably higher in these pics. Sohigh in fact that the Tacoma had to turn back and go around. I did not want to drown another starter. Not cheep. So here are the pics I didn't go down to the water cuz I figured the farmer didn't want me wandering through his property. Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  7. John451

John451 Member

Australia

H'mmm as sexy a machine as that is with only a 2 Gallon tank think its range may be a little limited for mindless exploring...

Wouldn't mind a KTM 640 Adventure with 300mile Range though.

http://tinyurl.com/eu88b

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, thats good to hear you made it out of that crazy mess, man yea talk about Balls.. whew!!

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well yea, but being it's only a 550cc machine wouldn't expect it to be to bad. Funny you mention the KTM, cause I do have my eyes on the 950 SM, now there's a machine that does it all.. BUt that $$$$ sticker shock.

10. freewheelburner

United States
    I posted those pics of my creek crossing but they are too small. You can go to yahoo and see them in my album called bike pics. deepwood4 is my ID

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    none of the links seem to work for me dude...

12. freewheelburner

United States
    Reg, they work from my end but are really small. I would like to know how the hell RVFR got those pics ot post? Maybe I'm just retarded:tongue:

13. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Go to photobucket, takes about 2 minutes to get signed up, and the rest is self explanatory. Just hit browse to download your photo's, and that will get you your URL, and then hit the insert pictures on your post. Usually my wife does all the tech stuff, but I actually did the photobucket all by my self... :biggrin:

http://photobucket.com/

14. freewheelburner

United States
    That's how I did the one I put on here but from yahoo and I got the liks instead of the pics I guess it's worth a try. Man maybe I need a wife.

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Haha yea just go to photo bucket way easier than getting a wife. just find the photos in the browse button, then upload em to the site. once there right click on the bottom of the three image tags then click copy then go paste em up on this site.

16. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
  17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    270lbs. 75hp.

18. freewheelburner

United States
    RW I received the Polish yesterday afternoon. Thanks so much for your help. If you noticed, it says right on the can that it can't be sold in NY and most of the Northeast. The money is on it's way.

19. freewheelburner

United States
    RVFR, which tag do I copy and paste from? The URL?

20. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    yo Freewheelburner
    Right click the "Img" then select copy, from there go where you want it, click in the typing window, then find the edit button on your browser, upper left on most to find paste, what you had will be brought to where you had the typing cursor wala hope that helps