A VFR 1200 in my garage

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Richard Thompson, Feb 27, 2010.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have to agree that the looks are better now that someone has one. I, like most of you, don't like the looks of the pipe much, but I have already seen a youtube video with an aftermarket exhaust on a VFR1200. I think it looks like a fine ride, and a possible next bike for my sportTOURing needs when I am tired of the 98 that I currently try to flog as much as possible... It looks like it may be a bit more comfortable without quite looking like an old man's bike like the FJ or BMW...

2. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I live in the Texas Gulf Coast and it gets very hot and humid here. For six months of the year, a bike with poor heat management is a bad thing. I knew it was the right time of the year to ask you "down under" about this issue.

I am glad to hear that it is smooth like the ST1300, I had read some things that Honda had left some vibrations in place to give it character. That seemed so unlike Honda.

Ron

3. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    i plan to do a night run this week end to test out the lights and instruments, so will post up that once its done.

the mirrors seem to work fine, perhaps marginally narrower than the 6th gen but well positioned and easy to use.
    they also have the high mount indicators incorporated into them which is a great saftey feature if nothing else.

windscreen-its very similar to the 6th gen again, maybe a little more cover, but really when you sit on it it feels
    alot like a 6th in terms of position. i had an excellent field of view,certainly nothing to complain about there.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Anybody got info on how the valving works on the muffler on the 1200?

5. Mainerider

Mainerider New Member

Map
    I don't have it in front of me at the moment but the current issue CW full road test explains it in some detail. Something along the lines of the 2nd valve opening up above 8K (?). I do remember that in neutral, regardless of the RPMs, the 2nd valve stays closed. I will review the article again later today and post the precise info.

6. Mainerider

Mainerider New Member

Map
    2nd valve opens at 6k in 1st and 2nd. 4k in all other gears. Not at all in neutral regardless of rpm.

7. Badbilly

United States
    Mark Hoyer's writeup is what prompted the question. Possibly some one has a factory manual on the bike by now or one of the aftermarket suppliers has a replacement muffler that operates from the same signal matrix. Whatever that may be.

Or we could just ask Cundalini or Crustyrider if they're not busy or maybe even some poor dude that is stranded in the middle the Great Plains who has run dry and is in spiritual contact with Honda San.

8. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Photos look nice in Silver with an excellent write up, I'm sold on the VFR1200 as a good thing just waiting for data on its real world range to start filtering out please keep us updated with perceptions as you think them.

9. Richard Thompson

Map
    will do john, im planning to find the bottom of the tank this week end, as i have 2 motorcycle related events to attend.

10. phobe

phobe New Member

Map

If you want to install an aftermarket exhaust just remove the cables but leave the servo motor there in the tail to whir around and let it think it's operating the valve.

Though mc manufacturers keep telling us these valves are for more midrange, they seem to just be there to cheat noise emissions standards... which I think are recorded at 50% of max RPM in first gear.

11. Badbilly

United States
    So far I have not found an aftermarket system or muffler for the 1200. I'm sure by the time one or more are available, I will be able to find out how the mechanism operates in detail.

12. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

do you really want to know how it operates or you just trowing out a troll bomb?

13. Badbilly

United States
  14. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

well a smart guy like you should be able to figure it out no??
    not too hard, think about it.. If you have not figured it out let me know I'll give you the answer

15. Badbilly

United States

Thank-you for making my point.

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
  17. Richard Thompson

Map
    more power, less wieght, better looks......oh yeah!

18. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    New generation looks good, sounds totally high tech, right on the bleeding edge. Really happy with my '08, of course, and I DO think I like it better. Of COURSE I'm totally jealous because I cannot justify upgrading to the 2010....
    Still haven't seen one in Canada. Have a Powerhouse dealer down the road from me but they STILL do not have one. Either that or it has come and gone already.

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Have you had a chance to try out the Low beam out of town at night ?

20. Richard Thompson

Map
    hey john, actually no. we just came out of daylight saving last week end and we are only now just getting into an earlier period of darkness.

now that normally wouldn't be a problem except that i sold the 1200 yesterday...so now wont have the oppurtunity to test out that particular aspect.

ive decided to go back to a 6th gen for a multitude of reasons.

back in the 1990's when i bought my first ZZR600 i thought this was the best bike ever. after a while i thought that if the 600 is this good, how much better would the 1100
    be??? so i traded up and got an 1100. 6 months later i was back on the 600, and so it is somewhat a similar story with the new 1200.....for me anyway.

i let a friend try the new 1200 while i rode his 6th gen and in that moment i relised that i was actually riding the right bike...the 800.

so i managed to negotiate my way out of the 1200 and back to a 6th gen. im lucky that my 1200 had only 600km's on it (still virtually a new bike) and the silver ones were sold out here.

so the grand adventure is over for me, but im happy to be back on a 6th gen.