And so it begins...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by OOTV, Feb 26, 2017.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As some may already know, I had a low side accident on my 5 Gen a few weeks ago. Very simple freeway exit that I take all the time, only this time the traction available to my front wheel was a bit less than what I needed. :scared: Although the bike was not able to be ridden home, it is repairable IMO, so I have decided to go forward with that route. For the most part, the front end was about the only part that was truly totaled but the insurance company considered the bike a total loss. The main fairings were damaged a bit more than a simple repair and the front cowl and inner lower cowl were actually in several pieces, a small dent in the tank, and a complete wipe out of the front forks!

Almost immediately after the accident, I knew I wanted to get the bike back up and running so I started my search for the bits and pieces I knew I would need. As luck would have it, fellow VFRWorld member Joey_Dude was parting his 5 Gen out so I was able to get quite a few pieces from him. Thanks again Joey_Dude! So with the help of eBay, Joey_Dude and fellow member and long time friend sfdownhill, I think I have the parts I need to get this bike back to square one.

Ironically, I already had all of the main body panels, gas tank and a few other bits, as I had plans on having the bike repainted at one point but never got around to it. Same for a set of cat-less headers I have laying around, these bits were going to be put on eventually but for one reason or another, I just never got it done. well, nothing like a low side crash to move these plans forward!

Apart form getting things settled with the insurance company and parts hunting, I had also started acquiring new gear and/or having my gear repaired. The leathers and boots went into Anthony's Leather Works down in Corona Del Mar and orders were placed into Revzilla for a new pair of gloves (Scorpion SG3 MKII) and to Motorcycle Gear for a new helmet (Shoei GT-Air Decade). The gloves already arrived a few days ago and the helmet came yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So today was spent with other VFRWorld members, Scubalong and Hammerdrill and we shot the s#!+ drank a few IPA and worked on a few things on the bike, primarily removing what was once a set of forks! and removed the bearing races and triple clamps. The bearings will be replaced with tapered roller bearings, yet another item I had laying around waiting for me to install! Most of the other items are still in transit and ultimately will be installed over the course of the next few weekends, hopefully not over too many weekends, as I still want to get in a few rides if/when the weather is nice. Hmm, maybe this is why I never got around to doing all those things I should have done!

[​IMG]

I'll be posting up my progress and updates when things happen so keep checking in and see how things are coming!

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    [video]https://youtu.be/HoLs0V8T5AA[/video]

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hot Damn, things are looking good then. Nice lid, nothing like an Opps to poke one in the A$$ to get things in the back of ones mind moving, Huh. Would you also be thinking about a De link?

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Just a little update. Most of my time has been spent on acquiring bits and pieces as well as looking at what exactly is busted, mangled or otherwise unusable. I did find that the fairing stays that are part of the engine casing (both left and right) have snapped off, so looks like JB Weld is in order. I also found a few mounts to be a little worse for the wear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the forks are pretty much history, I had to find a way to get back to where I was. With a bit of scavenging, the help of friends (Thanks SFDownhill) and the recycling of parts (valves & shim stack) I should be able to get the forks back in working order. Sorry RVFR, not doing the de-link, much rather just keep the rebuild as easy and with less cost as possible. Besides, I'm not that much of a purist to want to take the time and effort and don't have an issue with the linked braking system, well, maybe other than taking a little longer to bleed. Since I have speed bleeders and have done it enough times that it really isn't even an issue anymore. In order to get the parts I need out of the forks, I did have to do a bit of cutting! In the photo you'll see part of the fork that I had to cut off to get the spring and rebound valves out. I also had to cut the rods in order to remove the rebound valves.

[​IMG]

Since my front wheel was pretty much toast as well, I ended up taking the spare wheel I had and had it powder coated white and decided to clean up the rotors before putting them back on the rim. I used a tub filled with Pinesol and soaked the rotors over night and then used a hard bristle brush to clean out the little nooks and crannies.

If you look just to the left of the dent, you see a crack in the rim. According to the wheel repair guy (Dr. John in Anaheim) the wheel would require more $ than it would cost to replace it. Plan to either make it a clock or recycle the metal...Clock would be a cool memento and a way to keep track of time in the garage.

[​IMG]

Almost like new...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Looks good!

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice. SMH here, I don't know D, LOL I'd surly look into maybe a super hawk fork ;) just saying. you've gotten to most of the parts for the de-link just a little in the rear left. ;) It's all good. Whoa on the wheel, you're so lucky not to be broken like that. I like that clock idea, it would make for a great reminder how shit just happens. That's a bummer on the engine casting tabs being broke off, at least they're fresh and clean, so maybe JB weld will hold up? heat is what I'm concerned about here, I've used the stuff on a lot of things with pretty good results, but this isn't one of them.

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I do not believe JB Weld would hold up to the vibration and rotational torque of the fairing. I would use the JB weld to hold broken pieces in place to locate mounting holes and then add a support bracket under mounts and attach to engine bolts nearby.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Ditto on the JB Weld. Like many products the original has become a line of products. The "original" is just a medium setting epoxy with some grey stuff in there to make it look like steel. Lots of uses. Just used a dab yesterday on a little photo project. Worked great. I don't think it's much good for busted off fairing anchors or other things like centerstands.

Maybe a 3D printer? ;)

9. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

This is gonna be so great to watch!

Enjoying this already and makes me smile knowing you were okay and you both are bouncing back!

The wheel clock is a super idea! I've made clocks before out of unconventional things and they always turned out great. Yours will have an amazing story if you go the clock route.

I'm not of much help at all, but I'm cheering you on and I can deliver with 3D printing. ;)

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So I am still getting parts and pieces trickling in, got my suit and boots back yesterday. Suit looks almost brand new! The boots have a little patch on the toe box, which they told me how it was going to look. Cost me a bit less than what I was anticipating so I'm stoked about that. The insurance $ covered what I paid for the gear but the repair cost was much less. Gives me more $ for the bike rebuild!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    wow nice skill set there. That ain't so bad considering what happen. Besides, on the boot fix makes for great conversation materiel. Plus shows you ride, not pose ;)

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well it's been a while since my last update and that's mostly because of my work load, waiting for parts, a couple of rides and other moto support I have been doing for my friends. Other than the fork springs (waiting for shipment from DMr) and the exhaust getting ceramic coated, I think I have pretty much everything I need to get things back to where I can at least start it up and maybe take it for a spin, albeit naked, as body work and paint will be the last bits I will be doing.

Anyway, I had a surprise fix I had to make and one that had me baffled. As I was moving the bike around in the garage I noticed a puddle of brake fluid near the middle of the where the bike was sitting. After a quick look, I found that the back of the rear master cylinder had a hole in the feed tube that attaches to the MC from the reservoir. Needless to say, I had to order this component and o-ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also able to find some Nachi and SKF tapered needle bearing for the steering head and was able to get the seals as well so I decided to put those in today.

[​IMG]

Used my new steering bearing driver tool. Going to be doing this again soon for 6 Gen and possibly a few other bikes soon too, including my Ducati so seemed like a worthwhile purchase.

[​IMG]

Got the top race pressed in and put the packed bearing in along with the dust seal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit the top triple clamp

[​IMG]

And checked the lower for clearance and fitment.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow the wife will be having breakfast with a friend of ours so I'll be in the garage in the morning, most likely working on getting the exhaust ready for ceramic coating and possibly prepping the body panels for painting. Hopefully I can do this early and then maybe take a quick ride down the coast before she gets home. Maybe head to the D-Store to catch the MotoGP race with some friends.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome D, glad to see things coming along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So it's been a while since I've updated this thread, mostly because things have been going slow and I had a few two steps forward and three steps back issues. As I posted earlier, I was able to get the steering stem and bearings installed, however when I went to put the forks on, they just wouldn't line up with the top and bottom triple clamps. I double checked the frame and my bearing races and all that proved to be good. Only thing I could think of was the steering stem itself. So off it came and Yep, steering head was slightly bent at the threads, not much but enough to keep the forks from lining up. So off to eBay to get another stem. Got that pretty quick and cheap too. Then had to get a new bearing seal and a few other unforeseen items.

For some reason I don't have any pics of my fork rebuild. Essentially this was taking some VTR stanchion tubes and innards and mating them to the VFR fork lowers. I know, I know, I should have went with the VTR forks and de-linked the brakes. Well, I don't mind the VFR stock brakes so I'm leaving them as-is. I'm sure the brakes could be better, but since I am so familiar with them and they work just fine for me, I don't feel the need to change them. I will say that this didn't take long though, as I have done this a few times already, not just for me but for a few other members who come to me for help. So maybe that's why no pics.

As I was going over the bike to see what else I might have missed, I found the infamous Stator/RR connector, not only did it show signs of overheating, it was melted like a torch was taken t it! So needless to say this and a new RR was then ordered. I went OEM for the Stator and with an FH020A (from Roadstercycle.com) for the RR. Don't know how I did this but I ended up ordering a Stator for a '99 and not an '01 but turns out other than the connector, everything else appears to be the same so this was still a step forward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I soldered the Stator wires, so hopefully no more Stator/RR issues!

[​IMG]

Another slight step back was with the headers. I planned to use a set of 98-99 headers but for some odd reason, like the Stator order, I must have ordered the two rear primary header gaskets for a 00-01, as these did not fit the headers! Ironically, the copper gaskets were the right size. So not sure I ordered one correctly and not the other. I ended up adding O2 bungs and had then had it ceramic coated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My original goal for today was to get the bike started, but without the headers, that didn't happen. I did change out the right rear set though, as this got tweaked a bit in the crash.

[​IMG]

Another thing that did happen a few weeks ago was the radiators and oil cooler swap. The insult to injury with my low side is that the bike slid under the guard rail of the off ramp, so both radiators ended up getting damaged!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, I found a nifty use for that radiator fan. I'll post up a new thread on what I did with it.

[​IMG]

Although there is still more work ahead, it is getting there, slower than I was anticipating and hoping for, I did finally get what I had in planned for by this time though...a rolling chassis! With the forks and front wheel on, I can now work on the brakes at some point but more importantly I don't actually have to have it on the ABBA stand full time, although until I get it running I'm going to for the moment. For the most part, when I did the rear reservoir fix, I was able to at least get the linked components in and working but still need to d a thorough bleed job. Here she is back on the ABBA stand for now and in the back of the garage waiting for next set of tasks to perform. That scratched up clutch cover will be replaced with the one off of my 09, as that bike ended up with the clear window clutch cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. B6_Dolphin

B6_Dolphin New Member

United States
    As you are getting close to it back to roadworthy condition, the tabs that were broken off were not from the crankcase, but the oil pan. You can get a used oil pan off Fleabay for around $65:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-OEM-OIL-PAN-98-09-VFR-800-VFR800-Interceptor-engine-motor-cover-sump-/201707227683

As you can see from the following picture, your broken tabs are the "ears" on the oil pan:

[​IMG]

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Funny that you mentioned this, I was looking at the oil pan today while doing some work on it. Probably will grab a new oil pan too.

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So after thinking about it and since B6_Dolphin also mentioned it, I decided to grab a used oil pan off of eBay. As luck would have it, there is a salvage shop in Anaheim that had one and I got free shipping to boot! I got it the next day too. Anyway, I'm still waiting on the exhaust gaskets I had ordered as well as the clamps, as those too were for the 00-01 headers. While I was at it I also took the clutch cover from my 09 and used that to replace the "damaged" one on the 01. Now both bikes have nice clutch covers but hard to beat the look of the clear clutch cover on the 09!

Anyway I ended up using the ABBA stand at its highest setting and was able to make easy work of both covers. So step by step and inch by inch I'm getting closer to being able to get the bike started. My goal is to have the bike up and running before the holiday weekend, not that I plan on riding it, it is just a goal I have. Once the bike is running and everything feels good, I'll get to the body work and hopefully by the next holiday weekend, I'll have a completed bike! Crossing my fingers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Good job. What a lift. Oo... doesn't look all that secure, but that's probably a optical illusion I hope. So by saying the next holiday weekend, you must be hoping the 4th of July? ;)

20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have to be honest, I was a little apprehensive of the stand at first but after using it for some time I had no concerns about raising it up like that. As long as you ensure the pins are properly placed and the arm is secured, it is a solid stand IMO. I wouldn't go jumping on it like it is but I had no worries about working on the bike in its current height.

Although I knew I wouldn't be able to attend R3, it was my first target to reach for a running and/or rideable bike. However, with the few unforeseen and typical Murphy's law issues, I'm happy to be where I am right now. So now my next goal is July 4th...

After I get the headers on I think from here on out, body work will be the big time consumer, provided I don't find something else to detour me. Knock on wood!