Another Cam Chain Tensioner Thread (maybe)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Doorag, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Doorag

Doorag New Member

Map
    I have a popping and clicking noise on deceleration when I roll off the throttle, which by most opinions is the cma chain tensioner. However, IT GOES AWAY IF I PULL IN THE CLUTCH so I assume that it must be something there.

So my question is - would releiving the stress on the engine by engaging the clutch also stop the noise from the cam chain? In my non-mechanic mind that would make sense, but it's probably worth getting advice.

Bike is a 2004 with around 12k miles on it so I wouldn't expect any problems at all at this point but it must have been storeed for long periods which may have caused some unusual mechanical problems.

Thoughts?

2. Egg on Leggs

Egg on Leggs New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    CCT noise is separate to the clutch, I would suggest that the noise is the drive chain as it is affected by you pulling the clutch in.

3. Doorag

Doorag New Member

Map
    UPDATE: the chain was very loose so I adjusted and the noise seems to have gone away. What's more worrying is how the chain got so loose since I only adjusted it a month ago. The binding bolt was tight so it wasn't that... I assume that it's the 14 yo chain that's stretching a lot from all the miles I'm putting on it. I'm going to replace the chain with a new X-ring version and see how I get on with that. Sprockets look fine so I'll probably leave them for now and replace them with the next chain.