Anyone been to Barber Vintage Motorcycle festival??

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by dABIT, Aug 23, 2017.

1. dABIT

dABIT New Member

United States
    Map
    I was thinking about going this year, have never been before. I was wondering if anyone has been before and could suggest can't miss events. I would be there for Friday and (or) Saturday, have to ride back Sunday to be at work on Monday. I want to see the museum and maybe a parade lap if it's worth the money. Anything else I'm game for. Anything I should know before I go?

2. OzTex

OzTex New Member

United States
    Map
    I raced at the festival a few years ago, first and only visit there. The entire place is spotless, not a blade of grass out of place, and even though the Superbike guys feel the track is too short, the track is perfect for vintage bikes (no long straights that kill old motors). A real racer's track, lots of front end biased corners. I made 2 trips to the musuem between practice sessions and races over the weekend, and the museum is worth the trip by itself. There are bikes there I never heard of. And they're in close to perfect condition. I don't know if they still do it, but the Vintage weekend was the only event of the year where the downstairs restoration area was open to the public. That's what I was told, anyway, from someone who has had a bike or two on display there in the past. The Saturday /Sunday races drew a great crowd, and the trolleys ferry people around the track all day, so you can spectate from different vantage points at your discretion.There is also a swap meet that caters to everything imaginable for bikes. Disclaimer: Don't take my word for it as it's been 5 years since I visited so things may have changed since then. I wish I could go back , it was motorcycle nirvana. Mr Barber did everything right, the first time. There was even a guy that came through the pits picking up trash (of which there was very little) but he also would pick up things like old bits of safety wire so we wouldn't run the risk of it getting stuck in our race tires. That's class. Visit if the opportunity presents itself, mate.

3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I will be there. I am hauling bike(s). I am trying to talk a friend into going with me and if the logistics work out I will take my VFR and VTR. I have a track pass for Saturday evening and I really want to run the Superhawk around that track. I have been to Barber Vintage Days 3 times before and for me it is the happiest place on earth! There is a well-attended swap meet and a classic bike auction. There is classic bike racing with access to the pits and the racers, plus classic MX racing and trials events. There are factory demos, custom bikes, the Vincent owners group turns out big time. There are club areas for British and Japanese bikes. The whole race circuit is ringed with a road and on Saturday it will be lined with every type of bike imaginable. I liked to ride the tram around the park just to rest my feet and look at all the awesome bikes.

Then there is the museum. There are four floors of bikes from the late 1800 to the present day. There are racers and street bikes. There are historic race bikes like the Britten that you can walk right up to. (You just can’t touch!) There are odd bikes like the Z1 Kawasaki V-8 and the H1 Kawasaki 5 cylinder. During Vintage Days the shop is open and the mechanics are on hand. I even met George Barber a couple of times. The best part is the place is crawling with bike crazy people. I love it because it is not a Harley Davidson centered event. Sure, the Harleys are there but so are the Guzzies, the Nortons and the Vellos. I rode the VFR there in 2014. I am going to take the truck this year so I am more comfortable.

The first year I was there, I think it was 09, we were in the swap meet area. It rained and turned some low spots to mud. The had a crew out sucking up water and laying mulch down in the worst spots. You will never see an over flowing trash can. Even the outdoor toilets are landscaped and have hand washing stations. If the quality has gone down hill I would be really upset because Barber is first rate all the way down the line.

i-made-it.jpg
    The VFR and I at the Barber Museum

4. dABIT

dABIT New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info Big_Jim59. Looks like you need more than a day to see it all. I'm shooting for Friday, Saturday. Waiting to buy tickets until I see what damage I have to deal with from Irma. I'm in Jacksonville and don't know what to expect the way this thing keeps moving around. Hope to see you there.

5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Late Friday and all day Saturday is best. Good luck with the storm. You and Florida are in your prayers.

6. Deckrat

Deckrat New Member

United States
    Map
    If you plan on going back after your visit, it would be worth your while to become a member at the museum. It's only $50.00 per year if you live more than 100 miles away, and it will give you access to the Turn 9 Lounge and the viewing bridges during events at the track. They offer complimentary catered breakfast and lunch in the lounge during events, and the bridges are a great place to see the races from.

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the festival. The museum alone is worth it. I think they do open the lower rooms fo free during the festival. During regular museum times you can pay for a tour and see them. I have dne 6 track days there and love it.

8. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    This sounds like a really good idea.

9. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    This sounds like a good idea.