Anyone else talking RACING?! <--- of the motorcycle type

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by drewl, Jan 13, 2011.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I mentioned that in my spoiler as it was too soon to say it openly but when I saw that, I cringed! When I saw both stand up I felt a little better but still was waiting for the official report. Imagine if they didn't have back protectors?! That could have been a crippling hit to Chaz.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Not often you can survive being a jumping ramp for a GP bike. That was crazy.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    The fractured vertebrae is the worry---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Hopefully he will be back for Laguna in July.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yep. At least youth is on his side, may come back to bite him decades down the road. Duccmann, I wonder if the last thing he remembered was Braaap! :D

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Surprised he jumped up as fast as he did, even went to his bike now that's dedication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Adrenaline is very powerful.

duccmann likes this.
  8. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    In an interview before race #2 Chas was already talking about being fit for Laguna

The fracture in his vertebrae is on the outside and is about the only place it has no effect on his spinal cord, he had a body cast on but was more concerned about his thumb which was dislocated in the incident ...he was well pumped up with painkillers, kept drifting off ...but determined to be fit to race at Laguna

Johnny Rea was noticeably disturbed by it in his pre race 2 interview and was only interested in when Chas would be fit ....but what a racer, only dropped 1 position after the crash, then straight around to see Chas

Poor Van Der Mark, Pirelli admitted the tyre was at fault, given it was the same tyre everyone but Chas had on Pirelli really need to explain that properly, that could have been a very bad accident if Rea and Davis hadn't reacted so quickly

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Van Der Mark had his Yamaha running excellent until that happened.

Thumbs likes this.
  10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I thought a podium for sure, if not a win. Though Rae was closing in on him, I thought a dramatic last lap battle was going to happen. So we know that the Yamaha with the ex-Honda rider is doing well, but the Honda, not so much. I know there's a learning curve from going from MotoGP to WSBK bikes but I'm thinking the Honda is just not up to snuff, regardless of whatever magazine puts it on top. I suppose that if you're a street rider, the CBR is fine, but for a racer, I wouldn't even consider the CBR.

So does anyone else think there's a conspiracy? I mean come on, MVD and Torres both suffer from "mechanical" DNF's?! I think Kawasaki and Ducati are paying mechanics and tire manufacturers off! :Rofl:

*I kid of course.

Thumbs likes this.
  11. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah, he was remarkably sanguine about it, thanked Pirelli for admitting the tire was at fault "at least I know I was riding well" nobody including the team thought they stood a chance

Van Der Mark rides with almost flat clip ons, something he puts down to his Superstocker days, he reckons it's less tiring and gives better control ...

12. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    The only person to get the new CBR to work is Jason O'Hallorn in BSB, Guy Martin had a few choice words about it after it injured him

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You have to wonder what he's doing to make it work for him. Seems Ten Kate/Honda/Red Bull (whatever team they're called now) had made some progress on the last test but it definitely wasn't enough. I think Nicky's win last year was more due to experience in the wet and his perseverance than anything. Most riders in the points lead usually won't take too many chances when it rains and those with nothing to lose take advantage of that. I would like to think that Bradl is a good enough rider to make a good performer on a WSBK ride, even with the learning curve that comes from stepping off of a MotoGP ride to a WSBK.

You have to wonder with the passing of Hayden, what Honda is planning to do, as it was supposed to be a development deal he had, at least I thought I read that somewhere. If not, still have to wonder what they plan on doing, as it seems the middle class CBR might be going away soon and Triumph has the new contract for Moto2 engines starting in 2019. I doubt the CBR is going away entirely but who knows. With all of the other makers bringing their V4 bikes to the public, will Honda see this as where to put themselves? I'm looking forward to seeing the new Ducati V4 and how that will look and place among the current fray.

Thumbs likes this.
  14. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    O'Hallorn got a 4th place in the first BSB race, behind 2 Kawasakis and Shane Byrnes Ducati, great rider to keep the thing under control, it handles like a pig

The team turned a corner in development when they binned the stock ECU and fitted the Motec unit that BSB requires, which is what HRC are now doing with the Fireblades that injured McGuiness and Martin ....

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Honda may not be any closer to releasing their version of an affordable V4 Super Bike but Ducati seems to be...Looks like a reveal will happen at WSBK in Laguna next month.

What gives a nice warm and fuzzy is this remark from Ducati. "It must be translated into something that can be sold to customers at a reasonable, even if premium, price. So it will not be an exotic bike like the Desmosedici, but a high-end sports bike. We cannot say when it will happen... but it is getting closer, much closer."

http://www.cycleworld.com/ducati-ha...pJobID=1062804459&spReportId=MTA2MjgwNDQ1OQS2

Gator likes this.
  16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    If its sub 20k I think they will sell a lot of them.

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

i seriously doubt it will be sub 20, considering a dawg CBR1000 SP is 20k and they will still sell a lot of them if it's sub 30k.

Echo3Niner likes this.
  18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Lol, dawg
    Yes, 20 K is probably very underpriced.

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Them non-factory Yamaha boys seem to be doing well. Looking good in the first two practice sessions.

20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yep, them rookies did really well! Have to say, even the Ducati non-factory boys have been doing better than the factory riders. JL seems to teeter-totter, one race he's doing well and the next he's nowhere near the top 10. Of course it's Sunday when it really counts! Should be a good race tomorrow, Moto2 looks like it's going to be a battle royale based on who's in the first two rows.