Anyone from Denver? + Starter clutch + pilot screw questions + pics of bike

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by TheFrenchman, May 24, 2018.

1. TheFrenchman

TheFrenchman New Member

United States
    New member here.
    Been riding bikes my whole life. Just sold my 01 klr 650 to buy this bike! 97 with 22k. Got it for 1500.

Anyone here from Denver? Me and a buddy from work are looking for places that have a bike night we can go to. Any recommendations would be great.

Bike is in good shape, just runs a bit rich at idle to 1/4 throttle. I know it’s the pilot jet. After 1/4 throttle she opens up and screams. When it’s warmed up, idle to 1/4 throttle has good response. It is only when it’s not fully warmed up, I can blip the throttle and it wants to die. I cant believe the amount of torque this bike has! It has a delkevic exhaust, she sounds MEAN.

Is there a way I can adjust the pilot jet on the bike? I’d rather not pull the carbs off again. I already had them off to replace the float bowl gaskets.

How hard is it to replace the starter clutch?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. TheFrenchman

TheFrenchman New Member

United States
    Here she is!

Attached Files:

duccmann likes this.
  3. TheFrenchman

TheFrenchman New Member

United States

Attached Files:

4. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    This guy does a very good job explaining the starter clutch replacement in these two Youtube videos he made:

B.T.W. I'm here in Denver too, been in the city for two years now, still haven't met met up or ridden with any VFR riders.

5. TheFrenchman

TheFrenchman New Member

United States
    Thanks for th YouTube videos. I’ll be sure to watch those. I’ve been looking for a bike night or something like that to go to. Know of any?

Also where’s a good place to ride around here? I’ve heard the ride up to evergreen lake is pretty cool.

6. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, the ride up from Morrison through Kittredge to Evergreen is nice (if you can catch it at a low-traffic time of day, I usually do it as a "breakfast ride" on weekend days).

I also like the Clear Creek Canyon from Golden up to I-70 and back down again, I think they re-paved most (or all) of it last summer so it should be a nice ride this summer (this road also gets very busy and slow most weekdays so you've got to carefully pick your time to ride it).

Other than that I haven't explored the area much in the 2 years I've been here in Denver, been pretty busy with other things, life in general.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Greg is that the same road headed up to Blackhawk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    The bike does have a lot of torque, which is why it is for me one of the best, if not best, bike I've ever owned. In regards to the pilot jet. I suspect one or more of yours are dirty. My bike idled fine, but when pulling away you could tell that all cylinders were not firing evenly until you got to about 4000 rpm, then everything picked up. I changed the pilot jets because my bike had 65000 kilometers on it and I didn't see any point in just cleaning the pilot jets, even if they did look clean and fine. It was an amazing difference when it came to performance. The bike pulls from right off idle in a smooth manner. I tried testing it's low down response, by dropping down to 2500 rpm in top gear. I gave it a handful. Obviously it didn't like such a low speed in top gear, but it accelerated very smoothly in a linear fashion without any hesitation.

For for your info. it was more difficult getting the carbs off, than putting them on. There's a video on youtube with an early vfr where the guy uses a ratchet tie down to put the carbs on. I used the method and it was so easy I couldn't believe the carbs were seated, and spent time confirming they were. All your bike needs now is a Corbin, and you're ready to do distances.