Anyone with the 8th generation know why Honda did not put out a 1000 instead of the 800?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I have always had a love of the old VF1000R, I rode a friends and that was the bike back in the day. But after the dimise of the 800 for 5 yrs and the attempt of the 1200 that did not do so well. Why do you think that Honda bailed out on a midway. I have always had a 1000cc or larger bike after my first bike a 1983 Kawasaki GpZ550. Any thoughts or regrets on Hondas part of not trying something that back in the day did it for a lot of people? Just curious after reading all the reviews on the internet on both the 2014-15 800 and the attempt on the 2010-13 1200. I don't care because of a few reasons, and I love the VFR 607 miles into it but the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 was what I was looking at to buy until I found the deals on the VFR and the insurance cost. (Age 46, Kawasaki-$147 a month, Honda $47 a month) To those of you die hards that I may become one it seems to my putting out something that has not been seen inbetween would be the next option due to not seeing the VFR in the current state continuing much longer. I definitely do not like the 2015-2016 US models with the VFR badge.

2. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    I feel ya. I think they were sticking with the model that garnered the cult. Plus, afaik, 800 is more attainable in countries with license graduations and regulations?

3. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Plus, they'd have had to develop a whole new bike instead of re-using the 800 VTEC engine.

4. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    ^winner^

Lol. Definitely a big cost saver there.

5. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Lost their way?

I'm not sure who is in charge at Honda or what their focus is. It is NOT sportbikes though. They seemed to go through a spell like this before, in the late 80's early 90's, when they dropped the CBR1000 Hurricane, called the 600 Hurricane a CBR600. Their largest sportbike in 1989 was the CBR600, unless you count the Hawk GT650? At that time, they wanted to project a more sophisticated image, or a kinder gentler side. Big push on the PC800, CB-1, and even the CB450. They seemed to change course a few years later, but now the same thing seems to be happening, with no end in site. Who'd have thought that the CBR600RR wouldn't be redone for like over 10 years or more!? Even the CBR1000 came out in 2004 I believe. Shocking. No new ST, Goldwing's been out since 2002. Scary stuff. They are once again ignoring the Enthusiast, in my opinion. I think the new twin NC750's, or 700's in the States, are o.k., but don't get my pulse racing. A nice second bike? Whoever is in charge is royally screwing up. I can accept that they don't want to update models at a pace we've gotten used to, but again, the VFR800(Gen.6) came out in 2002! With the 1200 bombing, in the past they would have updated it and rereleased it. Now, they seem insulted, packed up their toys and gone home to sulk. I liked most of the 1200's package, but it did need tweaking. If the 800 put out power like a GSX-R750, there wouldn't be any complaints, in my opinion. That should be attainable from a bike with 50 c.c. more displacement. That's why a 1000c.c. IS the right size. If it were up to me, I'd make two versions, one more touring oriented than the other. All that would change is the peg position, bars and upper fairing. VTEC would be shelved, gear driven cams are back with a 360 degree crank. Sounds like a proper droning VFR should! Ahhh... I'm supposed to be working on my trip story, so I'll shut up now.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I miss the Rune and the Honda 50s.

7. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    You assert that you love your 8th gen VFR and then two sentences later claim that you do not like the 8th gen VFRs. I don't get it.

8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Correct me if I'm wrong but was the vf1000 introduced in order to homologate the racing V4s back in the 80s. Cant see one being reintroduced as the inline 4 seems to be doing not too badly and will be more than likely cheaper to produce.

Your trying to compare a Vfr to a Gsxr. That's like comparing a family car to a sports car. With your other comments what doesn't float your boat may attract others Nc700 are popular in other countries.

Was the Cbr1000 not stopped because the fireblade was introduced?

Rumour has it the St1300 (a bike that hasn't been updated since it was introduced in 2002) is to be upgraded in 2017.

9. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    [​IMG]

10. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    A 1000cc v4 for the $7-$8k that people are willing to pay for an interceptor, Squarely in the daydream category.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ I read that too, maybe it was a slip up on his part. Yea Honda and their thinking ain't what it use to be. Soichiro has got a be turning in his grave. I'm not sure what Honda decision makers think, yea I get the US market is a small share still. What happen to listening to what works vs. what Honda thinks we need
    Perfect example the 1200 as just one of many WTF bikes. All we were liking to see was a 130hp sub 500 lb v4 that was like the original 86 vfr, but with a bit more. Whats so hard to figure. Then there was the the suspension quirks, the VFR gets passed by while the F4i gets the goods, What? It's still that way. the 8th gets better, yet the better suspension stayed on the 600- 1000. and now the 600 is discontinued Crazy. Honda makes the 213, smh, nice but unattainable, with luck maybe some of it's tech like the NR, will trickle down. Honda will do what it wants. I just work out the kinks in a 5th gen wa - la, all is good for now. I agree, Honda should make two versions of the VFR, sport tour more what they have now, and a full on sport version.

12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I like the VFR800 .... and I love the VTEC.

As cool as the gear driven cams are / were, I prefer the VTEC.

They had the VFR1200 and it was a flop.

13. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Or stuck in the 80s

14. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    All Honda had to do was increase the bore a mm or 2 and fit a real suspension, that would have made for a great 8th gen.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    That's it! I am boycotting both Honda and Donald Trump and if I get anymore pissed off, Oprah is next. So they should all watch oot!

16. blackvfr

blackvfr New Member

United States
    Not sure why anyone would need more than 800cc from a sports tourer unless they are on the track with it a great deal. Only way I look for more power is when I eventually get a heavy cruiser to add on. I mean I can get my 10 year old vtec 800 into triple digits quite easily. 1000cc just seems like more fuel / money to burn for not enough performance return. Honda might see it as such. 1200cc is a worthy enough bump in power to justify build cost.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Its a torque low end grunt thing, once you've rode around on a 1000cc machine you'll understand. The 800 is close and for many, and obviously Honda doesn't believe it's necessary, SMH I'll disagree. all though I was surprised at the power delivery from the 841000VF when compared to the 96 VFR750 for how the bike worked, then the 750 would have the 1000vf lunch. but then it should since there's 12 years in the evolution. Still though as much as the 750 had it's all togetherness, the 1000 just had a better low end pull where on the 750 you'd have to shift. Just saying.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Glenngt750 likes this.
  18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Spot on, and it's been proven by a few folks. it's also interesting just how much weight plays into it. I notice a huge difference when the tank is next to empty, so what's that? 30lbs? so close yet so far, getting 30lbs off a VFR is a tough $$$ act.

19. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Does he mean the actual "badge"? My 2014 badge on the middle cowl says "interceptor". Did they change it to say "vfr"?

20. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    You say that like it is a bad thing...

[​IMG]

Attached Files: