Are you happy with your 2010 vfr 1200

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by mkayserb, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mkayserb

mkayserb New Member

Getting ready to buy a 2010 vfr manuel transmission.
    Are you happy or unhappy wit your 2010 vfr 1200.
    Do you feel the 1st and 2nd gear is an issue for you?
    Looking back Would you buy it again ?
    Thanks Mike

On2wheels likes this.
  2. tin-tin

tin-tin New Member

Yes I am happy with the bike as it sits in my garage right now. No I was not happy with the bike as it sat stock after I rode it for a few thousand miles and found out its quirks.

The first and second gear restriction WAS a problem for me. The pertinent word being was.

The bike is almost perfect for me now. Will there ever be a bike that is absolutely perfect for me? No

If I had ridden the bike and the 1st/2nd thing was a big issue for me and I was not willing or able to do the current fix for it then I absolutely would not have bought the bike.

Just being realistic but unless people start dying from the 1st/2nd restriction then I highly doubt honda will fix it anytime in the future for free unless it is really really cheap. Do I think that there will be a more permanent fix down the road for the problem? I think so. I doubt that much is different from the '12s with the restriction gone but I think we are going to have to pay for the for a few electronic components and (at minimum) an ECU reflash.

All I'm saying is if you really have a problem with the restriction on the 2010s, dont buy one hoping that honda will eventually put a free fix out for the problem.

3. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

Very happy for the bike and the behaviour. I don't do any driving on back tire only so I am happy just how it is now. I might be experimenting removing the restriction on second gear later just for fun but I don't know yet (probably not). When you read these posts you cannot help thinking that a proper ECU reset might correct most of the problems(?). This said it is worth mentioning that I don't do any hard driving on track so I don't need any extra kick for already powerful engine. This is my feeling right now after 1300 km in the meter on my new VFR.

4. Rocket22

Rocket22 New Member

I have about 6,000 miles on my VFR1200 now...bought her in June. Installed a Power Commander, Heli Bars, Corbin seat and Radar Detector.

Love the bike.

Awesome piece of equipment. I'm grinning every time I get off the bike. Brakes are the best of any bike I have ridden...race or street. Handles good, lots of power, sounds good, looks good and easy to keep clean (well...the wheels are a pain...but aren't they all).

Overall...I'd give her an A++. Great Bike.

5. anbark22

anbark22 New Member

Map
    Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
    I love this bike. I have the DCT and the restriction is not a problem for me. I live in Florida and there are no curves or hills.
    Lots of power, good handling, EXCELLENT brakes.
    I'd buy another one (or two) if I had the spare money.
    Did I mention that I love everything about this bike?

Yeah!

On2wheels likes this.
  6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Rocket - did the Power Commander clear up the ECU problem? Everyone says it does on the 6th Gen, but have yet to hear from anybody with the 7th Gen to confirm. If so, then it is a simple fix.

7. mkayserb

mkayserb New Member

Thanks guys for the info.. I put a deposit on the manual tranny. Still debating on the dct or manual. $ 1400 is a lot extra for the dct. But if it is that much better it might be worth it.Any way back to yhe 1st and 2nd gear lag issues. I figure it is probably no less power then my Honda 919 at the same rpms. Does every body notice it or is it people who are very aggeressive riders. Or could there be a difference between early or later production models. Unfortunatly I wont be picking it up for three weeks which means because the dealer is in a snow belt area there will probably be snow on the ground ,therefore I will be buying it without ever riding it or riding any vfr for that matter. That is why I am sking for your input. Thanks Mike

8. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

I would never buy an automatic as I think that changing gears is part of the fun in motorcycle. If you are a "normal" driver I wouldn't think about 1/2 gear lag (you cannot really notice it). It just keeps your front tire on the ground during acceleration which I think is a good thing. I think you woulln't find a better bike.

We are still lacking the snow here in southern Finland but let's hope it comes soon as you cannot drive a motorcycle anyway (it is just dark and rainy, not nice).

9. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Happy yes and no. Not happy with the way every Honda dealership lied about a 1200 not coming as I would have probably bought the 2012 at full pop. Honda should know its market and that a VFR owner is not a NOOB rider and no restrictions are needed. I'm a big boy and was potty trained. I promise not to shit myself If I make a 600lb bike operate in uni-cycle mode. If I didn't own this and owe on it I would search out the 800 vtech ABS NEW. I liked the power delievery better. The fuel mileage better.

The 1200 is more comfortable commuting body postition for me though. Suspension is about equal with a slight nudge to the 1200.

Would I do it over again...... hmmm

No

But maybe the bike will grow on me. I think its a little better with the 2800miles but not what it could be. Guess the learning curve is larger on this one than the 800. The 800 felt like a favorite pair of shoes when I was in the canyons.

For a sport/commuter bike I think the map of fueling is the deal killer.

Right now its a Bi Polar Love Hate relationship with the 1200. Will probably be cutting the wires and jumping the gear settings soon. Just really wanted to keep a extended warranty on it for the commuting to work back and forth for the next 5 years.

10. mkayserb

mkayserb New Member

Thanks guys for the input. Keep it coming.
    Extended warranty yes or no. If yes how long.
    Thanks mike

11. anbark22

anbark22 New Member

Map

You can still shift gears with the "automatic", it's just easier and quicker.

12. dsmit34

dsmit34 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the vfr1200f and it's awesome bike.

13. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

Call me oldfashioned but I still get the feeling of a scooter. With VFR's twin clutch -system it is as quick as a thought (I was amazed when I first tested it).

14. tin-tin

tin-tin New Member

I know that the 8 pin gps connector is hard to find but the pins in the harness cant be too special I would think. has anyone ever just done the conversion at the pin level with a couple of extra 3 pin connectors that take the same pin size as the OEM 8 pin and just make a separate 3 pin jumper harness. I didnt do it this way because I dont have an extended warranty but I would think this would work. I guess if I have to take it back for warranty in the couple months i have left, I would probably just cut all the wires for the gps harness and repin the connector. I doubt anyone would notice that the harness was half an inch shorter. I dont know. just kind of brainstorming.

15. Seemedo

Seemedo New Member

Map
    Just clicked over the 10,000 miles mark so far it has surpassed my expitations just keeps getting more like that favorite pair of jeans or boots. I just use a few more rpms in 1st or 2nd but then I'm not ripping up any corners. I would buy another one for sure and would like to try the auto just for kicks.

16. Rocket22

Rocket22 New Member

Yes it did. No issues at all since installation.

17. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    That's good to hear. It seems then that people should just go buy a power commander for the 1200 rather than waiting for a fix from Honda that will probably never come. That's what the 6th Gen guys had to do to resolve a similar issue.

18. koggs

koggs New Member

As a previous 6th Gen owner, yes, the PCIII cleared up the VTEC transition, 'snatchy' throttle response -while throttling out of corners- and the dreaded 5k RPM hesitation. A whole new experiece with the PC. The bike seemed normal after that install. So now I am in the market for anther bike and was thinking of a 2010 DCT. I imagine while stuck in city traffic the DCT would shine. I'm still a bit confused about the 1st and 2nd gear issues you guys speak of. What is it specifically? Sounds to me like the power is restricted in those gears but not thru the rest? Also, have you guys noticed the throttle being a bit 'snatchy' (jerks or comes on abruptly) when you get back on the throttle when exiting through corners? I watched a video of a 1200F going around corners and could almost hear that hesitation.

19. tin-tin

tin-tin New Member

exactly. and a pc wont fix that.

Yes depending on what speed you are at. and a pc will help that.

20. Rocket22

Rocket22 New Member

The ECM restricts power between 0-4000/5000 RPM in 1st & 2nd gear. Before I installed the PC, sometimes if you were in slow traffic in 1st or 2nd gear and then needed to accelerate quickly to get around something or to get out of the way a car or truck, when you rolled to full throttle quickly, the bike would stumble for a split second or so and then catch up violently making things quiet nervous and unpredictable...that was my main experience with it. When you were already rolling slow but then needed to go like right now...she would hesitate, spit a little and then bang...off she would go. Not very confidence inspiring at all.