Atlantic-Pacific-Atlantic Ride on a 5th Gen

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by V4toTour, Aug 30, 2015.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    OML you had a CB-1 way cool. Thanks for the addition info. I've been as close as ca 96 through Happy camp, then on down to 299 then on down Hwy 1 south to San Fran, I've never hit 36. Now ca 175 off 101 back to I-5, been on that one in a car talk about wow factor. need to get back down in that neighborhood some day. But current plans have it to hit Bear Valleys greater area, looks like one H of a Hoot.

2. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    still have it, it's been sitting in storage for a while. actually owned 3 of them at one point. :crazy: gear driven cam I4. a few weeks ago finally got a new fuel pump installed and got it running. Need to order some hardware for the side panels.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, I've also thought that was a cool bike, very hi-tec for it's time, kinda a urban assault machine, that and the hawk 647.

4. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome! I've ridden the same roads in NM, UT, CO, CA, TX, and AZ. Thanks for sharing.

5. catawalks

catawalks New Member

V4toTour, what cases are those you've got there and which mounting system do you have for it?

6. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    It's all givi stuff

The sides are givi E41. I've also fitted them with an LED brake/turn signal (amber) kit. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/admore-lighting-led-kit-for-givi-e41-sidecases
    Top case mount is the 257FZ (which you need to buy to use the side rack kit) with a FZ monolock plate and B47 monolock top case. givi monolock stuff is the cheaper option rated for less weight capacity than the monokey, which the sides are always by default. To put it simply, any monolock case will be a top case only. You can order a monokey FZ top plate instead. Difference being the mounting setup. The monolock plate is plastic, monokey plate will be metal.

Side rack kit is the PL257

totally not confusing at all...

7. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Nor cal native here. 36 is indeed a great road, but it's probably worth mentioning that if one were to ride 36 fifty times, one would probably get in a wreck hitting a deer. I had three close calls on a single trip through once.

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    must have been just bad luck, never saw any on either trip. I think cattle is a risk though, I recall there being a few free range areas. want to talk about deer infestation though, WV has the highest incident rate for any state. I ride out there quite a bit, and you're guaranteed to see at least a handful on any ride. In fact I was heading up old 55 last weekend and had to slam on the brakes for a doe and two fawns that darted across the road. I wouldn't recommend any high speed riding through any of appalachia. I hit a fawn many years ago on I-81 doing about 70 when it stepped out from some tall grass into the left lane. I had just enough time to duck down below the steering wheel. Some how instead of smashing in the front, my car scooped it up and launched it over my roof. It left a trail of spittle up the hood and windshield. Car was an old early 90's POS with a front bumper that stuck out a good 4 or 5 inches. all that broke was the plastic license plate holder and bent the plate under.

9. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Not only I've dealt with deer on that road, I've dealt with wild turkeys as well. I guess the alpha turkey didn't want me to take pictures, it wouldn't leave alone and chased me after I took off on my bike.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ now that's funny.

11. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Can't sleep so reading for trip/road ideas and same across this report.

Amazing ride you went on!! I cannot see photos, but realize this has been some time ago. Still awesome info here.

And this that cracked me up...

"Next day started the worst most awful motorcycle ride possible in the contiguous US. Heading east across the empty void of KS."

Such true words...did this twice so far this year...and tons more in muh life. Surprised I have survived.
    Soooo suk!! Orlando to Key West (which I've been told and have read sux) is a treat compared to trudging across KS. Glad you didn't get swallowed up and lost in that terrible place of OZ.

And that guide to dragon...so painful to watch knowing it would prolly end like it did. When I did that run 5 years ago, saw many of those turds. Just glad he took himself out and no one else with him.

Think I'll see about 89 in Utah and the CO loop you did, as well as others. Will go to Zion and have a plan for Bryce Canyon...I'll make sure it happens. Thanks again for info!