ATLAS Throttle Lock

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Jeff_Barrett, Mar 13, 2015.

1. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry to hear that...my condolences.

2. icycle2much

icycle2much New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you! My father-in-law was only 71 years young and had Alzheimer's. The preacher said it best "we would not want him back in his present condition." He is in a better place but it was a sad day. I hope to try the installation this weekend.

I do know that I will probably need to rotate the grips. We shall see

Sean

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sorry to hear about that, icycle2much. :(

Regarding if it fits or not, it shouldn't require any modifications beyond perhaps twisting your grips slightly to rotate where the wire comes out for the heated grips, and maybe make a slightly larger gap between the grip and the control housing (most likely not though).

The design is such that it was meant to work on just about anything - I believe the owner (David Winter) offers a 100% money back guarantee that it will fit.

I ordered a second one to replace the one that is on my wrecked bike. I couldn't imagine not having one (other than an actual electronic speed control).

4. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Just saw this thread. Holy crap that thing is expensive! If you want blingy stuff, them's the breaks.

I bought a little vista cruise online. Works awesome for me.

Jose

5. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I have it installed, it works. Have not test rode it yet. It was a little odd to install. I will give a more detailed write-up when I have ridden the bike. I did a lot of changes.

Since I have last ridden:
    Atlas Throttle Lock
    DMr front and rear suspension
    All Balls Roller Bearing triple tree kit
    Heli-Bars
    Heat Demonz Bar heaters
    USB charger
    VFRness and Accessory harness
    Galfer SS braided brake lines, full kit (what a PIA to install)

I am currently waiting on new Galfer HH brake pads to fully bleed the system. Then the riding begins! :snowman:

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I know it's not THAT big of a deal to twist the grips, but it's also not as simple as you make it sound. The factory grips are glued on, so once you break that bond, you need to remove and re-glue the entire grip. This is what I'm hoping to avoid. (at least until the original grips are wore out enough to require replacement).

7. Mark919

Mark919 New Member

United States
    Map
    Jose, Which model of vista cruise did you buy? Their web site doesn't show any models suitable for the VFR. I'd like to try the standard Honda version MCVICO model number I think...
    Thanks,
    Mark

8. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    FINALLY! Jeeze, finally got the VFR back on the road. Everything is nice, heated grips wire is interesting around the throttle lock. I need to take photos. I have been riding it back and forth to work, only 4 miles but, wow. First round working with it was interesting.

1. I tightened using the upper mount given on the 2nd (middle hook) so the clamp bolt would close completely. I did not use the 2nd larger upper hook in the kit. This made the mounting seem correct but is not. Too loose, but seemed correct. Worked until I went riding.
    2. To correctly use this, use the hook that makes the mount loop the smallest. Then tighten the bolt until the throttle still closes via the throttle spring. The loop WILL NOT be completely closed. Meaning the flanges where the bolt goes through will not be touching. This seems to work correctly. I will go for a long ride tomorrow and verify.
    3. From what I have seen, getting it to shut off surges the throttle because you end up pushing the button down, rotating the throttle for more fuel. A little disconcerting but will probably be fixed with use.

I HAVE ONLY USED THIS ONCE! For about 2 blocks. Tomorrow I will get on the interstate and backroads of skyline to try it out. More to come.

9. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map