Attempting to bring back a VFR that was left for dead.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by dallasca, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Looks good, your friend may have friends that may know But that doesnt mean he knows. Youve used plasti dip, use the plasti dip clear so that its chemically compatible and make sure you do the proper mid coat prep work and it will look great for years to come.

2. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Ok so if I would have said I chocked it instead of hit the choke I would have been correct since choking is a action and not a device.. lol after all when u limit the amount of air to fuel to richen it up ur performing the action of choking the amount of air correct? Lol...

3. dallasca

dallasca New Member

The plasti dip glossifier is crap. It is not anywere close to even semi gloss. So I used just plain old everyday aerosol enamel clear. 2 very light coats hit with 1500, 1 med coat and 1500, repeat, heavier coat hit w 2k repeat and after the last cost no more sandingl needed. Im gonna wait a month to make sure its nice and cured then hit it w McGuires cleaner wax was gonna use a rubbing compound but am unsure about that. The wax cleaner will do the same itll just take a little more effort and time. But I dont have as much chance to ruin the work so far..

4. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

What the starter valves do is change the bypass ratio. The ecu can see this in the o2 sensors and rebalances the mix to burn hotter and adjusts the timing to keep the engine running. Once the coolant temp comes up it slows the engine down and lowers the burn temps. This is all tables in the ecu and is not adjustable.

Since your not choking the engine but rather sending a signal to the ecu, it can not be considered the same. Im sure they could have just given us a button but this is what they gave us.

I dont see a problem with your paint project, get him to sign a proper form for his bet. Im on your side.

5. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Does a 98 have a 02 sensor? I dont remember seing one when I wrapped my pipes.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Nope. Didn't come with those until 2000.

7. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Then you have (ewww, gross) forced injection maps or carbs (which would have a choke. I personally would take the carbs over injection maps that never compensate for what the engine is doing. An o2 sensor is the only way to read the fuel mix, well cost effective way.

8. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Could only find a few of pictures of the fairings after I added the decals. Strange thing is it took me longer to figure out were I wanted to place the decals than it did to apply them.
    [​IMG]
    Had to do the Krylon decal cause you know.. lol
    [​IMG]

9. dallasca

dallasca New Member

and the finished fairings are .....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonight I willbe finishing up with some carbon fiber vinal wrap. Wish me luck I have never used the stuff before...
    Pipe will also be here in a few days. I Decided to go with a GRP Italian built pipe. Cost alittle more but I have not herd good things about the 2Bros stuff thats been put out latley.

tinkerinWstuff likes this.
  10. dallasca

dallasca New Member

Ok as I had mentioned I oredered a pipe. Well last week I rode her to work and noticed the clutch slipping when I got on it hard in 2nd gear. I dont think she has the umph to spin second. I ,aybe wrong but with this trip I'm planning I figured why not replace the clutch. $70 is cheap piece of mind rite.. So it ships out Friday as does my pipe. Clutch is in Indianna(s/p) the pipe italy. one is DHL the other is USPS. I had decided to wait on the pipe cause they told me March 14th. Well to make a long story short the Pipe shows up Tues and the clutch is saying friday.. What the hell 5800 miles in 5 days and 800 miles in 7 days? the posatl service is being way to slow... it usually only takes 2 days from anywere in the states seeing how im in Texas. Mayb the wstorms have something to do with it. But if that being the case DHL would have hung up in Chicago when it left customs... that part of the trip only took 7 hours to get to Dallas.. lol any ways theres my rant. Ill be posting pics of the pipe and the carbon wrap work Ive done so far in a few

11. dallasca

dallasca New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the pieces to this pipe were packaged in these felt bags, the bag for the hardware looks tobe a helmet bag.. I cant believe the quality of this pipe.. So glad I didnt go cheaper and get a knock off..

duccmann and tinkerinWstuff like this.
  12. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Great work, well done!

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I love the carbon fiber look dash.

14. RuiSaraiva

RuiSaraiva New Member

Portugal
    Wow, congratulations... Very beautifull..