Automatic turn signal canceler

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by John O, Aug 18, 2017.

1. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    It sounded really annoying in the garage without the helmet. I took the duct tape off but can't hear it over 25 mph. My Snell-approved helmet and a little wind buffeting are enough to drown it out. Tomorrow I'll get some quick disconnects so I can extend the wiring forward into the front fairing.

2. ciprinakos

ciprinakos New Member

Norway
    Map
    Don't fix it under the fairing, it will get dimmed again, but place it just below the instruments - that space is virtually open and, if placed right, also invisible.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    I moved it forward into the middle cowl. I wanted a dry spot where road spray and drenching rains wouldn't be threatening to give me an electrical short. It's clearly audible at 50 mph and plenty annoying below that. Your point about it being partially blocked is valid, but this will cover the speeds at which I do intersection turns. Lane changes in city traffic will be OK too, just not freeway lane changes.

If anyone's interested I routed the wires from the rear signals forward under the gas tank and behind the right "upper inner panel." I epoxied the buzzer under the top forward edge of the right "middle cowl." You can remove the upper inner panel without removing the middle cowl, contrary to what the shop manual says. I used disconnects at the front, since I'm sure to have to remove the middle cowl sometime in the future.

I feel safer already.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard New Member

United States
    Map
    I think the 8th Gen one uses sensors to compare wheel speeds between front and back to decide when you have made the turn. There is also a timer that runs while the bike is moving and pauses while the bike is stopped. It's quite short, only seven seconds or 12o yards. There seem to be quite few 8th Gen riders who don't like the system and disable it, but I can't say I have ever had an issue with it, very occasionally I have to reactivate the blinkers in traffic, but I'd rather have it there than not, just in case. I don't rely on it, cancelling the indicator is part of my normal turning routine, but I rather like that it's there just in case I get distracted flipping the bird to some *hole.

So many *holes, and only two suitable fingers. I swear I'm at risk of RSI some days.

5. seacliff

seacliff New Member

Canada
    Map
    to be specific,
    - under 60 km/h they won't cancel at all
    - above 60 km/h they will cancel after 9 times
    - they will cancel (most of the time) after a turn. It may be with the lean angle?

I usually don't mind it at all. I tend to cancel it manually after a turn and depend on it for highway lane changing.

6. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Do our vfr's use a auto style flasher? i ordered one for my kawasaki that is supposed to beep when in use.