Avoiding Dogs and other moving targets

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by DeeBee, Aug 21, 2016.

1. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I want to learn how to do that!!! Can you please start a new thread on proper wheelie technique for VFR? I'll search on YouTube also - I'm sure there's gotta be a zillion how to wheelie vids. But it would be nice to know your specific technique for VFR - speed, gear, rpm's, clutch, weight transfer, etc. I've got great insurance and good gear so don't worry about me - I promise to only do it on a closed course - lol. I'm assuming I'd need to turn off the traction control on my 8th gen? Would ABS cause a problem too?

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    There's no real magic to it, Greg. You just have to know your power band.

In 1st gear, right around 7500 RPM on the 6th gen, that's when the bike really starts generating the bulk of it's HP and torque. Just hammer the throttle and the wheel comes up ... you may need to feather the throttle to keep the wheelie going. No pulling on the bars or stabbing of the clutch is required. Just reasonably good timing with your power curve. I'm sitting square on the seat in my normal riding position and both feet on the front pegs. You can move your left foot back to the passenger peg if you want to ease the landing, but I don't bother .. I just feather the throttle a little as I bring the tire down.

It can be done in 2nd gear as well but it's a lot more tricky and does require a both a little pull on the bars and a stab on the clutch.

On the 8th gen, I'm not sure of the power curve so you just need to experiment. ABS won't be an issue (I have an ABS equipped 6th gen) but traction control may cause an issue so I would turn it off.

You're responsible for anything if it goes wrong. LOLZ

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the tips Jeff, yeah I noticed it seemed like you're just sitting very comfortably on the bike in the pics as if you're on a easy Sunday morning ride - but you just happen to have only wheel on the ground - lol. 7,500 is above the VTEC threshold on 6th gens, right?

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes. Shortly after it engages

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5. fatbastard

fatbastard New Member

United States
    Map
    Since you're doing some reading, perhaps have a look at "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. He covers dog evasion in some detail and talks a lot of very good sense in clear language on most other motorcycle related topics. For most wildlife I would always recommend that a quick stop is your best response as most wild animals have an instinctive response to predators which makes them jink about unpredictably when scared. Predators like dogs are a bit different you're dealing with their hunting instincts so they are more predictable if you understand their behaviour. Your choices really come down to a) stop before a collision or b) dodge around the collision. You have just found out just how hard it is to predict an animals behaviour and on one of the more predictable ones so you can appreciate that dodging animal strikes mainly comes down to blind luck. A quick stop is usually a safer bet. The exception to this is if the dog in question is acting aggressively, ie it's an attack not play. In that scenario I would be very reluctant to stop as even the best leathers are no match for a dogs teeth. They've evolved to eat things dressed in leather after all.