Being robbed

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Nailer45, May 10, 2007.

1. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

Gas is said to be $4 a gallon by the end of the summer... With the oil companies making record profits over 50million each quarter..

Getting screwed is putting it lightly. suspect seen.

Attached Files:

2. Spike

Spike New Member

ahh, it is still cheap compared to most of the world.

it is still cheap compared to other liquids we buy
    liquids that are a lot easier to find, refine, ship, & market

I am just surprised it is still as cheap as it is currently

flame on

3. Calbob

Calbob New Member

Thats pretty funny.

4. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

Its gonna be like mad max pretty soon. I suggest we form a VFR clan and start hoarding gas. They had cool outfits in that, so hey, it aint all bad.

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    The more gas goes up, then maybe people will take a closer look at motorcycles for transportation!

I've been talking to my lovely wife about picking up a second bike and I have been focusing on the 250cc sportbikes. My friend has a Ninja 250 that gets 60 miles to the gallon! My old Kawasaki 440 used to get about the same.

If I was president that would be my "Energy Plan"

"Get a Motorcycle!" Then I would talk with Honda about reviving, and making wholy new, a VFR 400 or 500 again!

Now that is good solid political thinking LOL!

Otherwise, piss on it, lets get together and rule the highways and wage war for a tank of "Juice".

BZ

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  6. Calbob

Calbob New Member

That is exactly why I just sold a Jeep Wagoneer, 360cid and bought a vf700.

7. Spike

Spike New Member

I know I am in the minority, but I actually get better mileage in my car, than I do on the bike :smile:
    But I would guess, quite a few people, if they did an actuall comparo, would find that mile for mile, their car is cheaper -- even if the bike gets significantly better mileage.

most of us aren't going to sell the car/truck/SUV, so adding a bike as a higher mileage vehicle, all of it is an extra expense
    so any loan interest, depreciation, insurance, tires, oil changes, services, helmet, gloves, jackets, boots, farkles, etc. have to be accounted for.

a set of tires for the car sets me back $500 and lasts 50,000 - 60,000 miles, for the bike it is more like $250 - $300 and I get about 6,000 and 10,000 miles out of them, so a lot of money in tires to make up for the gas savings, if you have any, that doesn't include bike specific oil if you use it, bike specific filters if you use them, etc.

8. dlman

dlman New Member

Its the war and the fact that makeing more refinerys would make gas cheaper and make them lose money. It doesn't make good business sense. But jacking the prices up .10 every time water falls on a pipeline doesn't make sense. I would a damn good reason that prices are going up. I think its the news scaring people and jacking up the prices because of it.

9. Spike

Spike New Member

Well, would you let them build a new refinery in your back yard? Everyone wants more built, or nearly everyone; but no one wants one built anywhere near where they actually live.

You could always buy less of the stuff, and save money that way. ;-)

Put a $1.00 - $4.00 tax on the stuff, and you will see people start to conserve.

10. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah there alread is about $1.20 in Ca worth of tax on the gas now

11. dlman

dlman New Member

I would let them build one in my backyard. My senses are not so easily offended.

The cost is what I want to go down. I don't need motivation to buy less the price that its at now does fine on its own. I just use my bike more and go less places. F%&* walking or riding a bicycle.

12. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

A mouse farts by an oil well and prices go up .30 a gallon..when oil companies are making $20 mil-$60 mil PROFIT each Business quarter , then the conclusion is "all out GREED "...

13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Jezz in Oz producing petrol from our own sweet crude locally we are already paying USD$4.50 a US Gallon, mind the UK folks with their own North Sea Oil reserves can feel really diddled at paying USD$8.16 per Gallon.

Then with China and India's needs going beserk it is mooted the world will hit Peak oil between 2008 & 2012* ( *Saudia wont publish their reserve level ) Once the worlds Peak oil level hit's the price per gallon will rise so fast we'll be reminiscing about the good 'OL days Gas was only USD$4.00 per Gallon. :frown:

14. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I think it's rather amusing when gas gets that high. There's nothing we can really do about it unless everyone stopped buying it for a week. But, we WILL get our laughs when all these jackasses are driving around in their gigantic, 12in. lift, 4x4 pickups and hummers getting 10 MPG. Furthermore, I don't know why so many people think they need to drive around in Mormonmobiles(aka Suburbans) or other huge SUVs when they have like one or two kids and then have to have 22in wheels, which further reduce mpg. Spending $100 to fill up your tank each week is retarded!

My bike won't pay off, gas wise, for two more years but it also isn't costing me any more because of what I was spending on gas for my SUV (16mpg). The gas savings negates my payment!

15. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    YOU CALL $4.05 CHEAP? THAT IS WHAT I PAID LAST WEEK IN THE FOOTHILLS ABOVE PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIA FOR PREMIUM. CHEAP? BULLCRAP!
    WHAT GETS ME RILED UP IS WHEN THE GREENIES START APPLAUDING THE RISE IN GAS PRICES THINKING THAT EVERYONE IS GOING TO JUMP OUT OF THEIR CARS AND START RIDING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. THEY ARE TOO IGNORANT TO FIGURE OUT THAT THE COST OF ALL OF OUR GOODS...DELIVERED TO STORES BY TRUCKS THAT BURN GAS...ALSO RISE IN PRICE! IT'S TIME WE NATIONALIZE ALL ENERGY SOURCES, INCLUDING OIL REFINERIES AND GAS STATIONS :caked:

16. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I don't think "greenies" or anyone else for that matter applaud rises in gas
    prices. We all know the ramifications of expensive fuels, whether it's gasoline, diesel, or methane.

If you were versed in global affairs, Porshebob, you would then know that we do have it pretty good here right now.

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
    Norway Oslo $6.27
    Italy Milan $5.96
    Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
    Belgium Brussels $5.91
    Sweden Stockholm $5.80
    United Kingdom London $5.79
    Germany Frankfurt $5.57
    France Paris $5.54
    Portugal Lisbon $5.35
    Hungary Budapest $4.94
    Luxembourg $4.82
    Croatia Zagreb $4.81
    Ireland Dublin $4.78
    Switzerland Geneva $4.74
    Spain Madrid $4.55
    Japan Tokyo $4.24
    Czech Republic Prague $4.19
    Romania Bucharest $4.09
    Andorra $4.08
    Estonia Tallinn $3.62
    Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
    Brazil Brasilia $3.12
    Cuba Havana $3.03

Last, if your screen-name implies what I think it does, with your impressive stable of bikes, and living in CA, you of all people should not be complaining about gas prices and telling other people that their facts are crap. :wink: :caked:

17. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    ZonaMan, I see your point. Everyone has the right to their own opinion...even me. I really don't care about what other countries are paying. I feel sorry for them, but perhaps they need to rebel a little not just take it in the groin. Americans are rebellious. We don't like to sit still and get screwed big time. You seem to know prices very well. Why don't you report the profits the oil companies have been scooping in? You sound like an apologist for the oil companies. We need to do something to keep the runaway prices from ruining our country not just saying "gee look how much they pay in Europe." Some new laws are in order, like nationalizing the oil companies. The high prices are killing the people on fixed incomes and the poor people. Perhaps, putting profit caps on the oil companies might help. Maybe it's time for another tea party. Time to "lock and load."

18. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

I hate the fact that gas keeps going up, but it is the reason I was able to talk my ole lady into me getting a bike. I drive 160 mile a day going to and from work (80 each way). Even in my Saturn I still have three $35 fill ups a week... I ride as much a I can and spend far less when I ride the bike. I would love to see the price of gas press more people into riding bikes, but it won't ever replace the grocery getter...

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    There is some truth to the argument that Europe and the US are not comparable as Europe is much tighter geographically and has much better existing mass transit networks available to the normal population so GAS prices shouldn't be compared directly.

Then again regardless of how much profit the oil companies are legitimately allowed to make on the " free market " the bigger question will be how long the Gas prices will last at this high price level once "peak Oil" is reached without forgetting most roads and all Plastic products are also made from oil.

20. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I think I and many Americans feel pretty helpless against Gigantocorp Oil Co. I think you are right on that we need to rebell, but how? Most, if not all, of the oil companies are fillling the already fat pockets of politicians who in turn do nothing to regulate the raping of Americans. The rich get richer and the poor stay poor and the middle class.....well you know....we get our dicks kicked in by big brother.