Bent Rear Rim?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by pjc, Mar 23, 2008.

1. pjc

pjc New Member

My cousin noticed my rear tire wobbling today. We put it up on the center stand and the rim is bent. I have never noticed any vibrations in the bike. I bought the bike with 3500 miles and now have 7000. I just got a tire put on about a month ago and there is a scratch in the rim where the bend is. I noticed the scratch when I picked it up from the tire store. I guess I can assume it happened there, but not sure.
    Anyone else have any problems with rims? I am going to bring it to a different shop to confirm this, then I will start checking my options. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks...

PJ

2. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    With hind-sight being 20-20, you should've said something to the dealer when you first noticed the scratch. But, they would've denied damaging it, even then. It'll be hard to prove that they damaged it.

3. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

4. pjc

pjc New Member

I am not sure that it happened at the tire shop. I could have been there when I bought the bike, just so happens that the scratch is where it is bent. The lip of the rim isnt bent... the rim is not straight anymore. When you stand behind the bike and rotate the tire, you can see that the wheel is "twisted" (best way to describe it).
    I priced a new rim from honda at about $475. None on ebay. Has anyone ever had a rim repaired? Seems to be cheaper, but is it as good?

PJ

5. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
  6. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    I just checked. mrcycles has 333.76 for their price. That would save $142.00, if you had to get a new one.

7. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

M&R Cycles is awesome. I've purchased several items from them. A trip to the BlueRidge is never complete for me unless I stop in. They are the 2nd best motorcycle dealer I've ever been to. The best one I've ever been to is Extreme Powersports in Flemington, CPRofNJ.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

8. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    I'm only about 50 miles away from MR, so I ride down there every now and then, just to check things out. BTW, They are building a brand new parts building on the other side of the parking lot. I've never been able to beat their prices.

9. pjc

pjc New Member

Thanks for the info guys but it turns out its not the rim at all. Its the axle. Took the iwheel off and nothing got any better. Brake caliper still wobbling around when in gear. Started a new thread... thanks again.