Best Chain Lube

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by warchild, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    If you're referring to my sig...then LOL!

2. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

Personally I swear by the Dupont teflon chain lube. I've used it on multiple bikes and it lasts a long time and offers excellent protection in dry climates, though it needs to be re-applied more often if you ride in the rain, or you'll start to see corrosion. The white residue it leaves just means it's working and protecting your chain. It doesn't hurt anything.

As for cleaning and lubing, get yourself a grunge brush, a couple rags, and some dupont chain degreaser. Put the bike up on the center stand, and turn the wheel while spraying the degreaser onto the exposed chain below the swingarm. Catch the spray behind the chain with a rag so you can work it in and it doesn't get everywhere. Once it's good and wet, put the grunge brush over the top of the chain and press it down into the rag, keep turning the wheel and scrubbing back and forth until the chain is clean. Dry it off real well with a rag, and wait until fully dry before applying the lube. Just spray the lube on and use a rag to catch the drips and clean up any dirt or grime that gets pressed out. Apply from the inside of the chain, so centripetal force pushes it through the chain instead of out. Allow to dry fully before riding.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Both DuPont products are available at some WallyMarts. At last inquiry no trans shipping either. This according to the nice lady in India. Amazon has both too.

4. Mogman

Mogman New Member

Map
    Years ago (back when we had to push our bikes with stone wheels with our feet) I used Kal-Guard. Worst mess you could put on a chain. I also use to use gear oil on my dirt bikes - later switching to PJ1 Blue. I use to clean my o-ring chains with Diesel, but later went to Engine Brite (in a spray can) with my old soft bristle tooth brush.

I've read on one of the chain company sites (DID or RK) that chain lube only lubricates the o-ring (on an o-ring chain) and is not meant to 'oil' or lubricate the link & bearing surface. They are life time lubed from the factory (hence the o-ring). The lube keeps the o-ring from tearing and pliable so it can keep dirt, water, grit, etc. out. Using PJ-1 and Engine Brite, my CB750C got 27K miles before it needed replacing. Later, KTM

5. Badbilly

United States

Back before stone wheels were invented, we used to soak chains in a bucket of motor oil. A good reason to switch to the DuPont system. For non Olring chains a good cleaner degreaser is Gunk mixed with diesel.

Not lubing and Oring chain may be OK out there on the great Mojave but in the wetlands of the PNW it sure keeps the rust to a minimum.

6. Mogman

Mogman New Member

Map
    I've done the hot oil on the stove with my chain in a cake pan thing. My wife was really pleased! BTW, I think Gunk makes 'Engine Brite'. Works wonders on engines, trans & chains...

Even out here in the desert, we have to lube (every other tank for me). Actually, the 115 degree weather has a tendency of driving off all the solvents / plasticizers out of the o-rings (along with dashes, tires, seats - sigh), let alone the UV effects. Things do rust here, just much more slowly! I grew up in Spokane, Missoula and a 4 month stint in Bremerton, so I feel your rust pain. Not to go too far OT, I've had 4 V45 Sabres in the past (versus Interceptors) so I wouldn't have to deal with Chains!

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I dunno. My owners' manual sez use 80/90 wt gear oil, so Honda must have it wrong, eh ?? Only fancy chemistry is good enough now ?? Teflon is more a pollutant than a chain lube !

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! look at this thread, way to go guys. all though once waxed, you never go back ;)

note: Maxima's companion synthetic lube does a good job too.

[​IMG]

9. Mogman

Mogman New Member

Map
    Yeah, but does the wax hurt when you pull it off? ;)

10. Badbilly

United States

This gives rise to new meaning to "You can't have your cake and eat it too." I buy the Gunk concentrate and mix it with #2 diesel. Great stuff!! I think you nailed it on the Engine Brite..

Stationed at EAFB for a few years. Had a Triumph Tbird. Free laps at Willow, Poker in Rosamond and the luvly ladies of Boron and Lancaster.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Jesus. Did someone pinch RVFR. Hey J. Have you gotten over your loss yet and remarried a new VFR yet?

12. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Ride bike for 20 minutes to get chain nice and warm. Come home, place bike on centerstand and place in nuetral.

1. DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH IT IN GEAR.

2. Clean chain with WD-40 with bike on center stand and rear wheeel freewheeling. Wipe with shop towel.

Yep, Dupont teflon cahin lube at Home Depot. Great stuff.

Let dry. Does not fling. Runs quiet.

Larry

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I'll never get over the loss, but life moves forward. On the matter of a VFR, nope but... there's hope in the wind. I've sorta have an inkling to get another 4G came across a 96,it was a basket case, but that sound,Ooo . Then had my eyes on a yellow 2000, but man so hard to move off the best when you had one ;) My nerves are still a bit not what they use to be, when I'm out on the rd250 I still get the WTF was that syndrome, hard to shake. Now there's all those new bikes as in Street fighter and that Aprilia RSV4, egads now there's talk about a another New VFR So, but when all said and done for the money hard to beat the 4G and in keeping this thread on topic.

If you have you're witts about yourself there's nothing wrong with a center stand idle in second gear lube job... try it you'll like it. So will your Dr. if you F up. just saying works for me ;)

That and what ever Randy does / has done, I'd read into it, it works. Anyone that's gone as far on a VFR as he has, his voice is worth something. Even if it's just a knod of the glass.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  14. Badbilly

United States
    Anyone care to wax on the possibility of a whole reality TV show on waxing?

15. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I've used almost every product under the sun (Bel-Ray, Maxima, PJ1, Motorex, gear oil), and I'm totally in love with the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver.

You can actually FEEL the before and after difference when you put this stuff on. The rear wheel spins progressively easier with every squirt of the stuff. Goes on clear, dries fast, doesn't fling... what more could you ask for?!?

16. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I use simple green to clean my chain. It seems to cut the crud and doesn't stain other parts near it. I also scrub it with a grunge chain cleaning brush that works real well. I then thourghly dry it and heat it up some before lubing it. I do this maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Two things. The official blessing from nocalboy and letting me watch whilst someone lubes my chain for me.

18. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    I always use kero to clean my chains, soft toothbrush & rag then let it dry.

I use this stuff & it does what it says.

[​IMG]

S'tralians like straight forward advertising.

[​IMG]

19. jerritt

jerritt New Member

Canada
    Map
    I use a cleaner called TIROX chain cleaner it comes with a brush that wraps around your chain works great. When I first started using it everyone kept asking if I just replaced my chain. Wax is the way to go. I got the cleaner at the Toronto International bike show a few years ago I dont remember the vendor

20. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Some Ace Hardware stores carry DuPont All Purpose Lube, it has the exact same ingredients as Chain Saver. I use Chain Saver all the time and use DuPont Chain Cleaner as well. I very seldom have to adjust the chain, but I tend to keep the front wheel on the ground. 16,000 on original chain and still in great shape!