Best year VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by base341, Aug 27, 2007.

1. base341

base341 New Member

Sorry for the newbe question, but I'm thinking about buying a new or used VFR and was curious if there were model years to avoid or one better than an other.
    I'm thinking about an 04 or 05.
    I'm sure this gets asked alot but I'd appreciate any input.
    Thanks.

2. Moby

Moby New Member

I'm in a similar position to you; am looking to buy my first VFR after years of mucking about with what now seem to be lesser bikes (hence have just joined this forum :) ). I assume the situation is the same the world over but from what I've read here in the UK my meagre knowledge is as follows:

The best 750 VFRs were the late models, with the 97 beast being regarded by many as the best VFR of all time.

Others feel that the 97 to 2002 800i is marginally better, although it is also seen by 750 fans as being a little to bland: near perfect at everything but as a consequence not quite as exciting as the earlier models.

The VTEC models initially divided opinions; back when it was first introduced many seemed to feel that the VTEC system itself was unnecessarily complex and added little benefit. I expect in the years since people have got used to it and now may even love the thing; Honda are certainly managing to sell a lot so it can't be that bad.

Extortionate servicing costs were also a problem and there's a 16,000 valve clearance service which is essential and which in the UK costs somewhere in the region of £500 plus parts (so that's about a $1000 plus parts?), so make sure that's been done if you buy one of these with over 16K on the clock

I don't know much about the most recent models as I've only been looking to buy a used a bike that's several years old. I expect in the last few years most problems have been ironed out.

I think I've decided to go for something like a 2001 VFR800, as I think I'd get on with it the best of all and I marginally prefer it's looks to the 750.

Having said all that I hope more experienced forum members will come along and give their views and in particular correct me where I've gone wrong.

Hope that helps a bit?

3. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

Whatever one you decide to buy is the best year! LOL. I have a 98, but have heard many say 2000-02 were the best years.

4. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Zonaman said it all in the first sentence.
    The best thing you can do is to do lots of research on specs., opinions, etc.
    on each year you are interested in.
    Then do a side by side comparison and see which one fits your pocket book and meets your criteria.
    Basically, you cannot go wrong with any of the VFRs IMHO.

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    The Gen 5 is an excellent choice, slightly lighter with a sportier engine than the Gen 4 and still retains GDC's with their grin inducing sound.

If you want Gen 6 look for the mild '04 update which has some of the earlier build issues sorted.

Link to buying a Gen 5 used:
    http://www.bikepoint.com.au/portal/...D__5760/ArticleID__119082/DesktopDefault.aspx

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    The money and convenience will like factor into your "best" as well. the perfect 2000 in your favorite color might be your goal, the 2004 in your not so favorite color might be for sale next door and a deal at that.... bringing the discussion back to the gentleman from Arizona's comment above... that I will modify slightly for the folks like EVT:

Whatever one(s) you decide to buy is the best year!

7. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Welcome to Moby and base341!

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think they are all good enough that I'd get the one that looked best to me... for example: If I found a 6g with low miles for just a few bux more, I'd get it. If I found a 5g and 4g for the same price but the 4g had less miles and was better cared for, I'd get 4g but all things being equal, I'm pretty fond of the 98. You get fuel injection, bigger displacement, usually a fair price, red so it's faster, I like the styling.

9. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Being a member of the 5G Brotherhood of course I am somewhat biased. I have a 2k VFR and would tell anyone this is a good bike to get. You cannot go wrong with a VFR from any generation is truly how I feel. If you can find a 97 VFR in mint condition for a good price then grab it. I think the 4G VFRs are better for track usage than the 5G VFRs. It may be easier to find a 5G VFR in great shape for a good price. I still think the VFR is the best all around solutuion for fun, two up riding and touring. Good Luck whatever you decide.

10. base341

base341 New Member

Thanks for the replies.. This is a great site and I will spend alot of time looking through old threads for info.
    I've only owned dirt bikes and dual sport bikes in the past. The VFR seems to be just what I'm looking for now. It's sporty but seems much more comfortable than straight sport bikes.

John 451, thanks for the link.. lots of good info there.

Other than obvious damage, is there something else I should look for when shopping for a used one?

11. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Lack of maintenance and excessive wear and tear. Does the owner have maintenance records, does he perform periodic maintenance, or have it done by a professional? Does the bike have oil leaks or cooling systems leaks? Pop the radiator cap (if possible) and check the coolant to verify if it is not badly discolored/dirty/rusty. When did he change the coolant, if ever? How's the oil color and level? Is it blacker than black? Have him ride it (or put on on the center stand) and shift thru the gears. How is the condition of the chain and sprockets? Are the sprocket teeth worn down excessively/broken? Is the chain properly adjusted? Check the forks/fork seals for leaks. Are the fork slider tubes knicked /dented/damaged? Check the condition of the rotors and calipers. Check the frame/swingarm/forks for damage.

Many times just by looking at the condition of a bike (and talking to the owner about the care of it), you can tell a lot of how that bike was treated. If it is very oily/dirty/grimey around the engine and bike in general, and the owner sounds like he never lifted a finger on it, I would probably steer clear of it.

12. John O'Leary

John O'Leary Guest

Moby, if you do get a VTEC version i'd shop around with the servicing costs. I got my '02 done for £350 all in which is hardly excessive. Just find a Honda trained mechanic who is up on VTEC's and you won't pay through the roof.

As to which is best? Who knows. They're all good bikes, i'm on my second VTEC version now since i moved up to Sweden so i def like like them. I also had a '97 750 which i also loved to death apart from the rectifier issue which i just couldn't solve, even after going through 5 rectifiers, hence the reason i chopped it in for the VTEC and never had a problem since. It's horses for courses, try before you buy and see how you get on.

13. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    You've opened a giant can of worms with this question!!

:biggrin:

14. Deathwysh

Deathwysh New Member

Even the motorags consider the 5th gen to be the best version of the best all around streetbike every built. I agree. But I may be biased.

Its been said before, but bears repeating, you really can't go wrong with any year VFR. They're amazingly versatile machines. Which one you ultimately choose will be a matte of personal preference.

15. sdimock

sdimock New Member

Speaking of cans of worms, if you through the VF1000F/R into the mix how would that affect your choice?

Or is that to much of an apples and oranges comparison?

16. veefer800canuck

veefer800canuck New Member

If you are set on getting a VTEC model, I personally would spring the extra cash and get a used '06 model over an '04/'05.

You get the updated VTEC engagement/disengagement points and the clear lenses.

17. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Heck, if you've waited this long, the 08 models should be announced in about a week. If a new model comes out there will be another variable in your algebra.

18. motor_ref

motor_ref New Member

which is best

They are like puppies. Close your eyes and grab one. They are all good.

Just some are more unique or more talked about than others. No provable reason other than personal preference.

I really like the 1992 or 1993. And I like and have a 2000.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Whew, what a loaded question LOL all VFR's are great though I'm bias ,so be hard for me to say other than after a long hard thought and study the 97 VFR was pretty much spot on for the time and still is, hard to beat. especially after some minor tweaks.. woo hoo, that said can't go wrong with any of em.. thou I can say hand down the 4th is more sport. That yellow 2000 is still catching my eye now and then. what a qusetion LOL

20. base341

base341 New Member

I couldn't help it. I just went and bought a new one.
    It seems most of the bikes on Cycletrader were old ads and the bikes I was interested in were already sold.
    I really love this bike.