Best year VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by base341, Aug 27, 2007.

1. base341

base341 New Member

emon07, I hear what your're saying about having to modify the bike to make it better. but isn't that the truth with about everything we buy?
    I have an 05 duramax diesel and bought an aftermarket chip to get more performance out of it.
    No one ever thinks twice about re-jetting their dirt bikes, how is using the power commander different?
    One thing that made me want to buy this bike is the fact that there are alot of possibilities to enhance the performance of it.

2. mullins301

mullins301 New Member

hey i have a 98 and i love that bike. and i havent heard anything bad about the others so.goodluck

3. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map
    for every year, it's the best all around bike that's made.

of course, the RWB-ABS has a special place in my heart. :cool:

4. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Base - I hear ya. I still like the new VFR and would consider buying it (actually checking out a 2003 ST1300). Yes even with a new car or other new bikes you usually do some enhancements for performance. I still kinda feel that Honda should do a more thorough job with the VFR VTEC. The VFR is such a perfect all around bike, Honda may want to consider offering a Power Comander as an option. The only real thing that bothers me about the new VFR is the maintenance cost re: valve alignment. But again, why worry now - who knows. Any chance Honda would offer a non-Vtec version of the VFR - nah!!! What Honda could really do is re-issuse a limited Edition of the 4th Gen 1997 model and see how many people buy it. I know I would want one!!!!!!!

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    There is a good read on the subject of the Gen 6 over on the UK VFR forum with " GreenVFR " who is somewhat of a VFR UK site Guru when it comes to motorcycle mechanicals giving a clear and informed opinion in the face of a reasoned but potentially inflammable leading thread statement.

UK Forum VTec thread " Why ?" :
    http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=83682

6. oss

oss New Member

ive got 9200 mi. on my black 06 the only problem is tires putting that many miles on it. havnt had a single issue with the vtec, and ive had an 84 500 and an 86 750 before this one. they just keep getting better and better.

7. bear

bear New Member

Map
    Apples, oranges, and pears actually. Three completely different riding bikes. Switching between them is not pleasant either. All three handle different to each other, seating position is different, and peg/bar ergonomics is also very different. I find that if I ride one for any length of time, I have to break in my hands again when I switch, you know, that ache in the thumb muscle you get when the season first starts, I get that every time I switch rides with these three.

8. viffer_monkey

viffer_monkey New Member

Map
    86vfr750

Tons of low end tourque! Hell of a Mid-range power band! Not much there in the higher revs, but PLENTY of pull below. I miss not having to keep her pegged above six grand to get any kind of acceleration out of a corner.

My thoughts concerning my 86 vs. 98 vfr.

9. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I read about all the supposed VTEC issues and problems on this site before I bought my bike and what I can tell you is that the '07 VFR is as smooth as my old 5th Gen. The only difference is when the VTEC kicks in which is nothing more than a change in exhaust note. You CAN feel it, but it has no more pull than the 5th Gen at the same RPM. I'm glad I came to the conclusion that the VTEC complaints were unfounded and that I bought one. My buddy bought my 5th Gen and we ride every week. The VTEC engine gives nothing away to the 5th Gen. Both are great engines. The main difference between the bikes is in the chassis and suspension. I have no complaints.

10. honda502

honda502 New Member

You could buy a new one and disconnect the VTEC solenoid. That would make it non-VTEC. I have heard the new ones are not as bad as the 2002-2005 VFR though.

11. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    So can we all agree that the 2008 is better than the 07? That will start to limit the discussion to declare a winner in the contest that we all agree on ;-)