Bicycle thread!!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by cat0020, Apr 20, 2017.

1. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    I've been trying to get back on my bicycle for few years.. somewhat overweight, eat like a teenager with no curfew, cholesterol level at 300's.. probable can't pedal more than few minutes without coughing out my lungs.

Any cycle nerds on this board that's the human-powered kind?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Carbon River on the way to Mt Rainier.
    Welcome to the club! Just waiting for weather and skin surgery to heal to get back out on my Trek 2.3 road bike. Stick to the trails out here, not keen on sharing the road with cagers.

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Are you asking for bicycle recommendations or do you already have one? If so, here's a review I did of my 2017 Trek Marlin 7 - it has been a great bike so far. I'm starting to become a bit of a bike nerd :glee:

[video=youtube;qtkn0H3sUh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkn0H3sUh4&t=54s[/video]

4. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Another one here. Between the weather and a child I haven't been out yet this year on my road bike (Trek Madone 2.1... I think), and I barely trained all winter. I plan on starting to ride it to work a couple days a week soon, once the morning temperatures are a stones throw from freezing. I'm not sure I'm adequately prepared for the 50km round trip this year though...

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I quit running about 9 years ago and just mountain bike for cardio now. I was worried that I could not get as good of a work out but that fear passed quickly. So much better on the knees and hips. Especially if your over weight and starting to run again. Riding is much more engaging and if your out for the runners high you can get in that zone too. I ride on an old Canon Super V. I stay off surface roads.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm starting to pedal more, ramping it up for the next few months to get into climbing shape. I try to set endurance goals with weekly increases in time/distance. If I feel to tired to pedal I use it as a discipline opportunity and just make myself do it. I feel so much better after. Painful at first but rewarding after.

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Been doing a ton of rowing on my Concept 2 rowing machine, trying to get ready for cycling season. I ride a 1992 Merlin road bike. Updated Campy shifter/derailers and Dura-Ace brake components. I don't ride anywhere near the amount I used to ride many years ago.

I hauled the bike out to Colorado on my old '92 Gold Wing and spent a week out there riding around, stayed in Frisco. Rode the pass over to Leadville, up to Vail Pass, up to Loveland Pass, not all in one day. LOL Then stopped at Idaho Springs and cycled up to the top of Mt. Evans. Lots of great riding in Summit County for sure. This was all back in the 90's.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I've been known to get out now and then, more so now that the weather is better, been out a couple times in the last week, nothing overly glorious, but does make one work the core, abs, shoulders, hands and all. it's a good time.

[​IMG]

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Present ride which I bough this past summer after my much much better bike was stolen from my garage during a B&E. I can't afford to keep replacing expensive bikes so I had to buy a lesser bike this time around. The previous one was a Specialized Enduro which I just loved. It replaced another Specialized Enduro that was also stolen while properly locked up at a local gym in braid daylight. The one before that was a Rocky Mountain Edge with AMP Research suspension system on it. Was kinda neat. That one was one of the first consumer available full suspension bikes that I got back when they first hit the local markets back in about 1990 or so. It was worth a fortune in those days but I did get a fantastic deal on it. Wore the head stay bearings out on that bike and rather than fixing it, just bought the new Enduro.

I used to really like the off road stuff, but I am older now. Also last go around with my back issues had me with no feelings blow my hips for a few days in the ER so I tend to stay calmed down now in the saddle. I really do like bicycling though. Originally got into cycling back in the early 80's in an attempt at rehab for the back. Did squat for the back but I fell in love.

IMGP0720 (2).JPG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  10. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Only parts of my legs are out of shape, and I'm not worried about my lungs as I've been running and swimming all winter, it shouldn't be too brutal to get back into cycling form... I hope. The real trouble starts if I go for a ride with my friend who HAS been on his trainer all winter.

11. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    My first mountain bike was a 1984 Miyata Ridge Runner...
    Miyata bike.jpg

My current mountain bike is a 2015 Specialized Stumpy Elite...
    2015 Stumpjumper Elite 29er.jpg

12. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    We're gonna need some music for this thread :witless:

[video=youtube;GGKWQ7op9Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKWQ7op9Yw[/video]

13. norcalscot

norcalscot New Member

United States
    I used to be into ultracyling in a big way - here's my main steed :-

A Seven Axiom Ti.

seven.jpg

Attached Files:

14. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I bike now and then and swim laps three times a week. Cross training helps eliminate the need for helibars, lowered pegs and other most mods needed sometimes for the physically handicapped due to being unfit. NO, not every one who mods a motorcycle is handicapped. To the OP, start with what you can do, eat right, and you'll be brand new pretty quick. A little pain might go with it but that can be met with through mental gymnastics.

15. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    I pedaled coast to coast from Seattle, WA to Ocean City, NJ when I was a teenager, back in summer of 1990.
    I got to see this country on a Huffy 10-speed packed with camping gear.
    Along with 9 other teenagers and two adult guides, we pedaled over 3200 miles in 12 weeks.
    No TV, no cell phones, no ipads, I got to see and experience the vastness and greatness of this country up close on a bicycle.
    I learned lots about bike mechanics, how to survive on bare minimal and travel on my own physical capability and made some life time friends.
    I missed the independence, sense of freedom that I can go anywhere on a bicycle, meet all kinds of people on a bicycle ride.
    Sad to think that no teenager today would be allowed to do something like that, my my how time have changed.

16. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    That rocks!!

17. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    "Sad to think that no teenager today would be allowed to do something like that, my my how time have changed."

Why would you come to that conclusion? A group of teenagers with adults along, you'd probably have more trouble finding the adults than finding teenagers that would do it.

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Teenage years? I was wondering. Do we all go through that? I kinda remember something like that but that was such a long time ago I can't remember. I think I went through something like that back in the early 70's. I wished I had gotten into biking back then but I was rather late to it. I worked pretty much right through the teen years. But what a dream ride. I would love to ride across Canada and do a long tour of the Maritime Provinces. Well. Maybe ride through the Rockies to Calgary, load the bike on WestJet or United, fly to Thunder Bay then continue. You can pretty much see the three prairie provinces along a five mile stretch f the Trans Canada highway just west of Calgary. You just need to remember not to look back at the mountains.

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I know a guy that pedaled all 50 states. Flew his bike to Hawaii. Ferried over to Alaska. He stayed with a bunch of the guys on our forum. I think it took about a year. He was in his 30's n

20. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Because I deal with children/parents everyday; between the teenagers crazy hormone, insecurity about themselves and the cyber bullying that occurs every minute on their phones..

Have you ever tried to get a phone away from an social media addicted teen for 15 minutes?

Parents are not likely to let their kids out of contact for hours, let along days or weeks on their own camping with non-related adults who are in minority in number.