Boots or Pants??

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by zPix87, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Shopping List

OK, so here's my list. Looks like I'll just order it from New Enough. There are some comparable prices on other sights, but I think its easier to just get it from one place.

AlpineStar Ridge Waterproof Boots - $125
    FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Mesh Overpant $180
    FirstGear Hiportech Comfort Armor $22 (an upgrade for the pants)
    TekNik Supervent Pro Gloves $40 (I have other gloves, but hoping these will be cooler in the summer)

I think I did OK. Gotta be better than Levi's jeans and Columbia hiking boots!

2. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

In case anyone didn't know, motorcyclesuperstore.com has all fieldsheer stuff on sale right now for 50% off or so and they sent me a booklet that gives $20 off orders over $200 (use coupon code c409ctlg20) and $5 off anything over $100 (c409ctlg5)

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

The good book sez, "The big print giveth and the little print taketh away."

FREE ain't fricken free; free ain't free niether. If it was, it would be on Craigslist in the free section.

These sales are great sometimes. Sometimes some outfits bend us over the sawhorse on shipping and handling. Good to read the little print.

IMO all this off stuff followed by some percentage is not quite as it seems. The question being "off" what. MSRP? read up on what MSRP is, along with some of the other ways stuff is priced:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggested_Retail_Price

I wish I had the uber answer for all this. I don't, but when the net makes it so easy to find, price out and buy all that stuff we need to be cool, (just kidding) and provides darn good definitions and examples of some of the terms we toss around (like MSRP) ....and when ya see SALE-FREE-MARKED DOWN ect., yada/yada. Check it out..

BTW I have significantly reduced the price on the bridge I have for sale in NYC. It's a STEAL AT TWICE THE PRICE.

4. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

You'll want the knee armor as well for those pants! The included armor is a piece of low density open cell foam. The hip pads are a higher density. The hiprotech armor is just a piece of thin rubber...I have no idea how it's CE approved but I put them in WITH the original hip pads. I also put the aftermarket knee pads in with the original pads and still had a good fit.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, Soundmaster. Learn something new every day.

I saw that the Hiprotech was CE approved, so I just ordered it. For $22, I figured how can I go wrong if its considered an upgrade? Well, I now see...

I've been back to the site to review, and they (New Enough) suggest doing exactly what you did - essentially double stack the OEM pads with the additional pads.

Good call - and at least its not too late.

Thanks.

(By the way, I didn't go with the gloves I mentioned above. I went with Cortech Assimilator.) They seem nice so far, but haven't rode (ridden?) with them yet.

6. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Quick question...

At what point is a pair of pants riding up too high on the ankles while in the riding position?

7. jay956

jay956 New Member

it would depend on what boots your wearing and the style of pants. sport pants that tuck into boots can be short. if its more of a casual style pants i like it to be at me ankle when in the riding position, normally i add another 2" to my inseam to get the correct length for this.

8. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Generally you want your riding pants to be about 2" longer in the inseam than your regular jeans.

I'd say you wouldn't want the top of your boots showing. For me, I'm fine with my pants being baggy off the bike and resting just above my foot(about an inch or too)while riding but no where near the top of my boot. Most decent motorcycle boots are at least 10" inches high.

9. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Wow, you guys are quick!

The icon pants I just got today cover the top of my work boots, but when I add my alpinestars knee armor, I'm afraid that they will ride up higher. Thoughts?

10. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

The knee armor shouldn't affect the length of the pants much at all....MAYBE an inch if that.

Bottom line is you want coverage. If you ever fall, you don't want to fall with your pants riding high above the top of your boots and end up getting rash. As long as you're not seeing your socks when riding you should be relatively ok.

11. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Thanks soundmaster!

An extra inch would put them above the top of my boots now, but they're only 7 inches tall. New boots should take care of that.

12. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

Umm okay dude- I just thought people might want to know of a sale with prices well below what I have seen on several sites for the same item and a couple coupon codes I got in case they would help anyone- I wasn't looking for an economic lesson. If you feel things are priced unfairly you are more than welcome to produce your own. personally I bet Fieldsheer will make a better product. Every product available for sale has an MSRP- no company sells it's products for cost. When companies have large overstocks of items that didn't sell enough to match production, or stores bought more than they sold in a season, they have what is called a sale! sure it's 50% off MSRP- so what? When that makes a pair of pants that are priced at $150 at 5 different retailers $89 the consumer wins if the product is right for them. It really is no suprise retail prices are much higher than closeout prices.

13. someguy

someguy New Member

have the Deuce Mesh Overpants.... haven't subjected them to a get off yet, but like them very much... breath well and fit right. FWIW.

14. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

I agree totally, I really like mine as well, and with only some smartwool knickers underneath they were plenty warm in 26 degree weather over the winter with their liner in

15. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

I'm glad to announce that I am finally ATGATT! Heres the set-up...

HJC CL-Max Helmet w/ dark smoke visor
    Alpinestars ACR Air-Flo Jacket
    Icon twenty-niner gloves
    A* Air-Flo pants
    A* SMX-3 Boots

I do need to upgrade gloves and knee armor, but some money needs to regenerate first.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone!

16. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Right on Zach! Good work.
    Upgrade those gloves when you can but you have done well. It probably helped to have all of us chime in with suggestions.

What did Clinton say? It takes a whole motorcycle village to dress a motorcyclist?

17. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Absolutely. I considered everything that you guys threw at me, but the I found the A* cheap and jumped on it, and I'm glad I did. It matches the jacket that I already had, and I finally feel safe on the bike. Now I just need to keep dad from stealing the boots...

Thanks again everyone!

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Help!

A few weeks back, I had bought the First Gear HT Air 2.0 Mesh Overpants. I really like the fit and , but returned them for a different size (longer legs, so that they stay around my boots better).

Today, when I go back to re-order the new size, I see they have the First Gear TPG pants on sale (with a yellow stripe as well, which happens to compliment my bike).

The TPG's are on sale for $169, which I think is a great price. The Air 2.0 are $179. I don't really care about the $10 difference.

I'll say that I'd rather sweat than bleed, but I don't do much riding in temps below 40 degrees, yet I do ride plenty in 80 or 90 degree temps. I'd really like those TPG pants, but am I going to sweat my balls off?

No comments necessary about how my wife keeps them on the mantle.

Thanks!

19. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! New Member

Sorry if it was already mentioned, I got antsy about half way through the thread, BUY A CHEAP PAIR OF KNEE PADS AND WEAR THEM UNDER YOUR PANTS EVERY RIDE!
    Fox, Thor, Shift and others make nearly identical pairs for under $25.00. Just make sure they have two straps each or they wont be comfortable. I recommend the Shift brand.

20. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Gear is over-rated! Ride naked! :bootyshake2:

If you need footwear....well, here you go!

[​IMG]