Brake Disc Bobbins

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by 34468 Randy, Aug 31, 2014.

1. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Kind of funny this problem of never cleaner your brakes rotors-I do that just before I go for a ride and it keeps the pads nice and clean too-the problems that come up when you ride a 1,000 miles and never look down to see if bolts and brakes are working ,its all ways better to wait till they fail when you need them according to BB!

2. 2006 Interceptor

2006 Interceptor New Member

^ Really? Thanks for the tip, sagacious one! My point was that as much as I've cleaned rotors, etc I never thought to break the bobbins free.

3. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Damn...I wish I knew about this before I went and bought new rotors, may have saved me some deniero. Oh well, good thing I like my new rotors. Anywho, great find Randay!

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I doubt material would build up with the rotors are cleaned once in a while, but perhaps when they get really old the cleaner doesn't work any more

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map

6. 2006 Interceptor

2006 Interceptor New Member

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I will take a look at my bobbins but from just looking at them they look fine but I guess its not how they look , its if they spin, my brakes seem a bit like rubber to me. I assume the brake lines are expanding. But something is wrong, the brakes should be grabbing better. I am going to try and not be a negative poster anymore. It just isn't what I like be. Randy has more miles then almost anyone on a 800-he does know more than I do at crunching miles. I am more of a short distance sport rider-at least right now.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  8. engraym

engraym New Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting video. I will check my 07. Will be good to see if age is a factor as well. I only have 2600ish on the clock.

9. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Randy, that was terrific. I have never even heard of "bobbins", but the video (and his others) are great. Thanks for the info.
    Laker

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    You are most welcome.

@ SOW. A big part of this thread is that there is the potential for a fixable problem that most of us are not aware of. This particular problem cannot be fixed by just washing or sprayimg brake cleaner on it. It can't be detected by simply looking at things. It is a hands on maintainance check. Something which appears most of us were unaware of.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have thought about this some more. I think the way to keep these bobbins free moving is to clean them from time to time with brake cleaner. I think everyone got that. Initially, I was thinking of lubing mine up with graphite. I also use a very good bicycle chain lube on many things. Tri Flo. Expensive as hell but a great lube.

But back to our bobbins. I think they were designed to operate clean and dry. Would adding lube to them not attract and cause dirt, and brake dust for that matter, to collect and cake up in these joints, and therefore add to the problem?

12. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, you may be right about that. I've got some brake cleaner and I think I'll go give them a couple blasts. The more I think about it the more I think you're right. Thanks for the nudge.

13. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    I'm gonna do this soon although I definitely need new pads and fluid aswell. That's gonna be fun to change :p great find Randy

14. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I have been hitting the rotors all the time with brake cleaner-it appears you need the hit the whole rotor-not just the braking surface.

15. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    If you're just changing the fluid it isn't that bad. Empty the master cylinder but make sure you don't pull the lever, refill with fresh fluid, pump the new fluid through the system. Since you've introduced no air into the system, you really don't have any bleeding to do, just moving the new fluid through to replace the old. The worst part is just making sure you get all the bleed points.

Ah, I see you have the ABS model, so I hope it isn't any different. As long as you keep the air out you should be good.

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Randy I been hitting the bobbins with tons of brake cleaner-I think if the bobbins aren't that caked up with crap that's all you need to do- because my brakes actually got better I will keep hitting those bobbins with cleaner- I was not doing this before.

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  18. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    Pads too, what's the best way to completely drain the brake fluid, so that im not keeping any old stuff at all, also anyone know the capacity of the whole braking system?

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Did you view the video I attached? Did you follow that guys instructions and turn these bobbins. Did you use a bolt and nut so that you can turn the bobbin while spinning it. Spray all you want, if it is caked up between the outside edge of the bobbin and the inside edge of the hole in the rotor,you need to move something around so that the brake solvent can get in there the clean things up. I just don't understand you Sonofwolf. You seem take bits an pieces of peoples advice and do your own thing and your practices are questioned more than regularly here. They are questioned pretty much each and every time you post.

I don't know how old you are, if you work or what you do for work, but judging by the way you behave here, I can't see you holding gainful employment for any amount of time if you don't follow instructions.

Do your thing. I really don't care. I will continue to follow the advise of most people I come across, because undoubtedly, most peoples knowledge about bike maintenance, is far better than mine. That is how I have learned the little that I do know.

Bonn voyage!

20. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    You can't tell sunnywoof anything...he knows all & tells all!

:rolleyes: