Brake light / Park light illumination

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by 54lariat, May 15, 2017.

1. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    So on my Boulevard you could turn the key to park position and the brake light would illuminate with running light intensity.

I see there is no such thing like this on the VFR, or at least the 8th Gen. Has anyone done something to make this work?

I used that feature all the time at restaurants and any parking space when it was dark out, I stayed to the rear of the parking spot and left the tail light illuminated so someone could spot my black bike easier.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hmm, I know my Ducati has a parking mode on the ignition and have used that once or twice but I don't think any of the VFRs have this option. Although it would have to be a manual trigger and possibly something that could be forgotten about and left on but adding a toggle switch and a relay might be the best option.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting, could have sworn my 4th gen had this feature, looking it up says , yep. Nope, on the 5th gen , another thing different.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I have it on my 83, and didn't know it! I wonder why tail light was on when I looked out window and I had the keys. I only have had the bike 34 years, duh.

5. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    Guess I will need to figure something out. Perhaps I can rig up a tail light/mirror marker light combo. Would make it much more visible. Or a couple of perfectly placed sealed flush mount LED pods under the rear fender to illuminate....

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    You could always just get a little flashing red led bicycle light. They make some pretty small ones with their own battery that last a long time.

7. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    When I ran all new wires and added lights, switches, winch, stripper pole..... (ok well maybe not the stripper pole, wife might not approve) on my Ranger I used these LED pods, they are sealed and have a rubber gromet they sit in. I have them in the foot wells of the ranger and they are great, not too bright but still bright.

I was thinking of mounting one under the rear tail and the wires would be soldered under the rear seat in the storage area. When I installed in the Ranger I also used a dab of silicon between the plastic and the rubber bushing, and a little between the sealed LED and the rubber to prevent water coming through the holes when going through water.

I think it would illuminate a nice area around the rear of the bike, and depending on where or how I might try to do one under the front of the headlight.

Here is what they are.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MH34PO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is what they look like on my Ranger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    My 98 CBR600F used to have that, it was an extra position of the ignition lock one further that the steering lock.