Breaking-in method for the VFR1200FA and possible recall... connecting the dots

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by VFROARR, Aug 1, 2010.

1. VFROARR

VFROARR New Member

Hi folks,

I was reading about the Mototune way of breaking-in an engine and for the folks who are considering doing it, I am not sure doing the 30 miles oil change would be a good idea after reading the following article on an apparent recall in the UK.

Mototune break-in:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Recall article:

Honda recalls VFR1200F - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

I am suggesting this simply because it looks like Honda would base its decision to replace your engine or not depending on how much metal is found in your oil: ''An inspection of all the potentially affected machines will be carried out by checking the oil gallery for aluminium swarf. If no swarf is found then no further action will be necessary. If any swarf is found a new replacement engine assembly will be fitted.''

If you flushed your oil at 30 miles (where according to Mototune, most of the metal particles detachment will occur), perhaps it could impact on Honda's decision to replace your engine?

I am not an expert but I am just trying to connect the dots.

Maybe more knowledgeable members could pitch in?

Ride safe!

2. phobe

phobe New Member

Map
    THe recall was due to chips left in the cases after the machining process and was isolated to a small batch of early production bikes.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat New Member

Swarf is not the same as wear particles. Oil analysis filters out particles over 10 micron prior to testing. You could have ball bearings in the oil and it won't show up on the result.