Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO Review

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jeff_Barrett, May 21, 2016.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    As some of you know, I normally run the Michelin Pilot Road 2's. In fact, my past 3-4 sets of tires have been this brand/model. I like them very much, they have a good life span, they have good traction in all conditions, and they're reasonably priced for a sport touring tire.

I decided to try something different this time because I was losing perspective of what else is out there and at this point, I no longer have anything else to compare the PR2's against.

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO tires a few weeks ago. The set was about $30 less than a set of PR2s. Last night, I finally got around to putting them on the bike and I took them for a ride today.

Here's my initial thoughts ....

1. They feel more grippy, both just touching them with your hands and on the road. They hold a turn more like a flat out sport tire and don't feel like the get squirmy. I tested on a cloverleaf a few times where the turn gets tighter, entering at about 90kph and accelerating to 110kph just before standing the bike up again.

2. They feel more sporty, and in a good way. They turn WAY lighter now - the handling characteristics of the bike have changed quiet noticeably. They provide a stiffer ride than the PR2 which means they aren't as plush for touring, but they give a lot more feedback, the bike feels lighter, and getting the bike to lean over is almost effortless now due to a steeper camber profile. Even the tire carcass is noticeably stiffer off the rim.

3. They feel a little more smooth, in the front anyways. I suspect this is because of the different tread profile. The PR2 tread blocks on the front tire cut perpendicular across the endire width of the tire, whereas the T30 EVO does not.

So far .... I'm impressed .... we'll see how they fair on the big trip in 2 weeks!

2. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    Looking forward to the update

3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Great initial review of the new tires!

I'm interested to feel them and hear what you think after you get a few miles on them. ;)

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I can back up everything he says, coming from PR 3&4

5. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    LOL now that's funny. I just did a 1st impression topic of the EVO's I put on the bird over at cbrxx.com.

It's not due to steeper camber as much as the tire. I said exactly the same thing. The bike feels a lot lighter, so easy to set a line. Very little effort and it holds where ever you put it. Yes they do grip for sure. I'll really find out about the EVO's in the next couple of weeks. I didn't notice the stiffness. Most likely because of my suspension setup. Plus I got them $100 less than the PR4's.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I wanted to add to my comment above. My previous VFR was a 2005.. I ran PR3 and PR4 tires. I wanted a sportier feeling, so I dropped the front 12mm and I shimmed the shock 4mm, so a total of 12mm there too. This helped a lot. Now, fast forward to the stock suspended 1999 I have now. It felt ok with the Pilot Pure front tire/PR2 rear tire. I was thinking that maybe I'll do the same to this bike too. As I needed new tires and the T30 were less money and Ron Haslam runs them on his track bikes in his school, I figured I would try them and they were less expensive, so throw them on.
    I have about 1600 or so miles on them and I can state that they really do have a sport tire feel. Leaning the bike over into a turn is a lot easier, even better than the modified 6th gen. It is very simple and even hanging off the bike feels easier and more responsive. I don't feel the need to change the the suspension geometry anymore. They don't appear very different but they really feel different, all in a good way!

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hoping to get some significant mileage on them this week with Anne Marie coming through town, and my Motorcycle Ride for Dad on the weekend.

Lots of time to get some good tweaking on the bike before my big trip starting the end of next week. :)

8. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Any updates on the tires? I am about to order a set today.

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I bet Pr 4 last longer-better in bad weather too-heat up faster too, its a good tire no doubt but not the best for me. The pr 4 might last me three years.

10. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

You would be foolish NOT to buy the T30's. I have them on my bird and am in to a trip about 3500 miles worth so far thru all kinds of mountain roads. They are still working super. Very light turn in and feel. Very good in heavy wet and dry. Makes the bike feel 75# lighter the way they handle. Sticks great in the dry with a fully load bike. Hold the line very easy even at 135mph in sweepers (without luggage on).

I'm really impressed with these tires and don't need to look any further for something else. Does it sound like I love them? Hell yes!!

Best pricing here: http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_82_1154

11. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    180/55ZR17 73W TL REAR T30EVO GT RADIAL SPORT TOURING $145.95 Canadian
    120/70ZR17 58W FRONT T30F EVO GT BATTLAX SPORT TOURING $115.95 Canadian
    Placing the order soon.

12. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I really like these tires on the wet. The PR series are great too. With the T30 I literally don't even think about them in the rain.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  13. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    For anyone local to the LA area, Wheels In Motion installed, taxes and ride the bike in gave me both tires for $280, total cost, out the door.

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes. I'll be buying them again!! Bike is leaning like a champ!!!!

[​IMG]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

15. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I just ordered a new set, feeling good that many others here on the site are more than happy with them.
    Now I have to patiently wait till Fathers day so I can be "surprised" with them...
    Don't know if I can be that patient.

16. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I have some BT023's on my 8th gen. because they were VERY cheap online. If the EVO's are half as good, they're damned good. The 023's transformed the 2014 from the OEM crap tires.

17. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Doubt it. PR2 last longer than PR4. These tires are taking some serious abuse right now.

Stick to cat breeding and kitty litter.

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    BT-023 aren't a long lasting tire. Every one I know who has had them say they don't last long.

19. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I have experienced much shorter life with the PR4 than with the PR3. As have others as well, which can be found with a Google search. Are they better or as good as the T30 in the wet? I don't know, but I feel as confident in the wet as I have with the PR series tires, but with the added bonus of the vastly sportier profile and ZERO loss of grip in the dry. I've drifted out of many turns on the track and on the street with the PR4 tires. All completely controlled and hella fun, but drifted none the less. I haven't used the T30 on the track yet. But I will.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I'll find out and it may not matter given the price I bought them at. No tire is long lasting for me anyway so I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016