BT-S2 1000m Bluetooth Headset Motorcycle Intercom

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Bubba Utah, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Has anyone bought this on the site and tested it? I found this on gearbest.com for $31 dollars. I think that OOTV chimed me into this. I have installed it and have not tested it but for a Bluetooth device it seems solid for the price.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I would have most likely turned you on to GearBest.com but don't recall seeing that BT device. Did a quick search for it but couldn't find it. Can you post a link?

If you're a solo rider and have no desire to have rider to rider comms, I'm sure most any BT speaker/headphone device would be sufficient. However, if having rider to rider comms is important, very hard to beat the Cardo Packtalk or Sena products. They are pricey though but IMO, are one product that you usually get what you pay for. Ever since getting the Packtalk with a few other riders, it's really changed our group rides.

3. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I was looking at this yesterday. A buddy here at the motorcycle dealership has used one. He said its a bit clunky and the controls are hard to use when driving. I'm going to get one. For $31+tax and maybe the thing is exactly what you want. I don't need to chat with other riders. I do want to pick up a call if necessary. I've been emailing people for Sena products on craigslist all day. Everyone wants "new" prices.

4. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    OOTV Here is the link. http://www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-parts/pp_264923.html . Most of the reviews are like you said, single use for music and phone use. Of the three that post reviews (they are in India and South America) and only one in the U.S or the Euro. They said that this device is good for the price! I agree, but they only got one from gearbest.com.

They could not test the intercom feature with the exception of one that did post a 1 on 2 on the intercom. Being in India and so close I would say that this is a poor assessment of the device. The company states that this device can and will support up to 3 users at a range of 800- 1000 meters at a speed of 120Km (so riding at 74mph is good for me) . I think tor the price. I would buy 2 or three if I found riders in a group ride to test this out!

For me, I have installed it to my helmet (HJC IS II MAX) , linked to my I phone 6SE and used the input port for a non Bluetooth device (6th gen I pod) and found without riding the level to be acceptable and the voice commands to my phone to be ok.

I ordered a phone stand for the bike and hope that it will allow me to mount if to the right bar. Also I have ordered a chin shirt for the helmet to really test this out correctly in a real world setting. If I find that the speakers and voice commands work well while riding then I will have a very functional cheap communication device tor both riding solo with music and the ability to call and receive calls while riding. And if needed when meeting up with some of you in the future, I will pass on a intercom at a throw away price to have a safe ride. I would love to group ride but 99.9 percent to date is sole.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The unit seems to have some good features and for the price, definitely worth a try. I think where this unit may be slightly lacking is its rider to rider comms, which if not a huge factor to you may be just what you're looking for. Good luck with your purchase and for sure chime in later and let us know how it performs.

6. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I use something similar, great for voice from sat nav, not great for calls unless going slowly. Mind you, I would not answer a call when riding so not a problem for me.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    BT-S2 1000m Bluetooth Headset Motorcycle Intercom "Real world" test happened today! Ok for the price like the reviews state GOOD. One reviewer in India shouted out on a music free app that I have not purchased that adds an amplifier to boost sound.. and that would be GREAT. But with an I-Phone 6 Se and also using a 5th Gen I-pod with the input port, I found that the level is acceptable while riding ( good, not great, or concert hall quality at 50-75+mph) but does allow you to hear the music and what is going on around you like a horn or other things you should know audibly while riding. I did find with my Delkevic pipe it does become pronounced over music and calls when the Vtech hits in, so shift into 6th instead of 4th. But, Again for $31 I got a steal in my opinion. If I do hook up to some of you, I will upgrade for a group ride larger than 3. If I find a single riding companion, I have bought another set for $31 bucks just to stay in touch on a ride. In conclusion, I find this $31 system great for the price. I can have music, Take a call or call out if something is amiss.

8. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I found a new sena 20s for $150. Taking a look tomorrow. But I want to test it before I purch. Ideas?

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Other than seeing if it will link with your phone and that both the speakers work, not much you can check out. That is unless they have another Sena unit you can try and connect with to test the microphone as well, but I think you mentioned that rider comms is not that important to you. I will say rider comms would come in handy on those R3 group rides!

I would also see what mounting accessories that they still have. Some of these units have clamp and stick on mounts. If they used the stick on mounts, add buying one of those to the cost, if your helmet is one that clamp mounts won't work with. Schuberth helmets have a neck ring type of liner which doesn't allow the clamp to slide in between the helmet shell and liner. Other than the Velcro pads used to secure the microphone and speakers, the clamps are usually the one item that needs to be purchased when buying used.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Bubba Utah likes this.
  10. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    Got the sena 20s this wknd. Very cheap. I'm thinking BT earbuds. Looking into them now. Any suggestions?

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Sena if you're going to use BT earbuds, as the earbuds could just connect to your phone to begin with. Your Sena is essentially the Bluetooth "wireless" link to your other devices i.e. Phone, Radar Detector, GPS, etc. Not sure if the Sena S20 has the option of using other non Sena earphones with it. If so, you should be able to get any 3.5mm plug earbuds and use them with the Sena.

12. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes, it can. I read about it able to pair with non-sena item. However, I think you're wrong about defeating the purpose. What if you wanted to talk to all the other intercom buddies that you are riding with? You will need an intercom system. Just so happens you don't need the speakers they supply.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So here's the scenario, BT connection of phone with Sena, this is a common connection. BT connection with rider, again common connection. The Sena acts as like a "receiver" of your BT signals not a "transmitter" i.e. Receives Phone, Radar detector, GPS, inter-comm, etc., not the other way around . The source IS your phone, your radar detector and/or your other Sena units, the Sena does not act as a "transmission source" to things like BT headsets. In a sense, your Sena acts like a BT headset/hub. Not all BT devices have TX/RX capability, most are one or the other. I hope this makes sense.

I could be wrong about the Sena S20, but that is how most of these comm systems work.

14. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    Ok, ootv. So, I have no phone. How do I speak to other people in the intercom mesh? My phone was not driving that.

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Part of the Sena is the Intercom system, BT connection to the Phone, Radar Detector or GPS, is the secondary feature they now provide. First and foremost, the Sena, Cardo, U-CLear, etc. are intercom devices.

16. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    So, you agree that if I want to chat with others, I need a sena.

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sena, Cardo, U-clear, any of these will do the intercom. I took a look at the Sena manual and it looks like the Sena considers itself as a "Bluetooth headset", meaning you cannot connect a headset to a headset. Your most likely going to be using wired earbuds that use the 3.5mm jack.

18. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    So, you won't answer the direct question I asked. Look at the manual a bit more. You can connect to two BT items. One can be a BT headset.

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

OK. If you say so, but the Sena IS the Bluetooth headset and you cannot connect a headset to a headset. If the question you are referring to is "...if I want to chat with others, I need a sena.?", then the answer is yes. Which is essentially what I said earlier. "Sena, Cardo, U-clear, any of these will do the intercom."

From the manual:
    •Bluetooth pairing for dual mobile phones
    •Bluetooth handsfree for Bluetooth mobile phones
    •Bluetooth stereo headset for Bluetooth audio devices such as MP3 players
    •Bluetooth stereo headset for Bluetooth GPS navigations

5 PAIRING THE 20S WITH BLUETOOTH DEVICES
    Before using the 20S Bluetooth headset...

5.2 Second Mobile phone Pairing
    Typical Bluetooth headsets can connect with only one HFP (Hands-
    Free Profile) device, but a second mobile phone pairing allows the
    headset to connect with two HFP devices at the same time.

5. The GPS confirms that pairing has completed and the 20S is
    ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the 20S saying
    “Your headset is paired”.

Give it a go and prove me wrong.

20. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I will definitely give it a try. I'll keep you posted.